Larry Young Corner

Soul Stream

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting to read that Larry was 6'6". A giant in more ways than one ;) .

Must have been something for the homeowner who found a trespassing Larry Young tickling the keys in the living room! Looney toons! (Perhaps he/she wouldn't have called the cops had Larry not been such an imposing figure...)

I had never heard of the unfortunate way he died. Has anyone heard any further information/stories on how he came down with that fatal case of pneumonia?

My favorite Young is INTO SOMETHIN'. I had heard UNITY and obviously it's great stuff but INTO SOMETHIN' really blew me away. I think it is some of Green's finest work as well.

I think Plaza De Toros is my favorite song the record. Love that Latin groove!

• 11 months later...

Up, because I just picked up Larry Young's LAWRENCE OF NEWARK and grooved my ass off to it all afternoon driving around LA.

BTW--Los Angelenos, Tower Records on the corner of Ventura and Sepulveda has an unscathed jazz section. They had loads of Blue Note discs I haven't seen other places, I was bummed to be on a limited budget.

• 11 months later...

I'm intrigued by "Lawrence Of Newark" (Perception). Noj and others, how is it? I've got most of Larry's releases - all the BN stuff, the Grant Green stuff, even "Fuel" (which sucked big time btw). Allmusic gives it 4 1/2 stars and a highly praising review. Thought I'd ask you guys first before picking it up...

There is (or was yesterday, anyway) a set of Lifetime at the Village Gate in 1969 on easytree. Five tunes, I think. Supposed to be their first gig. Haven't listened to it yet but the sound quality was said to be "B to B-", with the organ way up in the mix.

I'm intrigued by "Lawrence Of Newark" (Perception). Noj and others, how is it? I've got most of Larry's releases - all the BN stuff, the Grant Green stuff, even "Fuel" (which sucked big time btw). Allmusic gives it 4 1/2 stars and a highly praising review. Thought I'd ask you guys first before picking it up...

Any opinions...?

There is (or was yesterday, anyway) a set of Lifetime at the Village Gate in 1969 on easytree. Five tunes, I think. Supposed to be their first gig. Haven't listened to it yet but the sound quality was said to be "B to B-", with the organ way up in the mix.

Listening to it now. Sound is indeed only ok, but you can definitely hear John as well as Larry. Organ bass is somewhat less audible, and drums aren't great, but it's still an intense show!

Listening to it now. Sound is indeed only ok, but you can definitely hear John as well as Larry. Organ bass is somewhat less audible, and drums aren't great, but it's still an intense show!

Sounds like what I had for dinner tonight. :tup

(that is...what I was listening too!)

THANKS for the info!

Off to easytree. :D

Any opinions...?

get it. It is a great album.

lawrence of newark is *the* larry young album to have.

there is another item that may be overlooked.

on hendrix '9 to the universe' lp, released circa 1980, there is a 1969 jam called 'young/hendrix' (produced by alan douglas - so, he did do some good things).

anyway, even though the tune is edited from 13m down to 10m, there is remarkable interplay between young and hendrix on this jam. like two people who've played together for years. it also shows a serious jazz side of hendrix, which we would have seen more of, had he not choked.

they released another jam from this session (i believe the title is "it's too bad") on a 4 cd hendrix box, but that one is not very exciting. and there is a 3rd unreleased tune from the session. it's called 'world traveler'. that one is quite good also. and last, but not least, there is a 20min jam that is pretty outrageous, goes through a lot of changes.

but the 'young/hendrix' jam gives us what is probably the best glimpse into a lot of avenues that could have happened with hendrix and jazz.

a quote from one of miles' sidemen: "the band of gypsys album traumatized miles".

cut/pasted from the the hammond picture thread, from jim a. aka b3-er

Hammond Organ Company went out of business in the 80s. They stopped making the B3 model in 1974.

The Hammond name was bought by a Japanese company called Suzuki... not the motorcycle company... same name, different company. They started making a series of clones using digital sampling technology. They released the XB3 in the mid-90s, which was a full sized, B3-like organ using digital technology. It didn't sound very good. There are some Jimmy McGriff records where he's playing it.

Either last year or two years ago they released the New B3, which is a full sized replica of the B3 using advanced digital technology. Supposedly it is pretty good, but at around $20,000, no musician can afford one. Joey DeFrancesco plays one because he has a sponsorship with them, but that's about it. They sound pretty good.

One thing to keep in mind regarding B3s: I've read somewhere that they made 250,000 of them. So they'll be around for awhile. What shape they'll be in... well, that's another story.

What's funny is mint ones are starting to pop up now. I was just at a home last night with a mint condition late 60s B3. It was owned by the guy's mother, who was now in a home. There are a lot of organs like that coming on the market. Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on what side you're on, the market prices are pretty high these days. It's still less than buying one of the new digital ones. A mint condition B3 can run anywhere from $5000 to $10,000, depending on your local market.

Back in the 80s, you couldn't give the dang things away. I wish my dad would've stocked up on a few. :(

lawrence of newark is *the* larry young album to have.

there is another item that may be overlooked.

on hendrix '9 to the universe' lp, released circa 1980, there is a 1969 jam called 'young/hendrix' (produced by alan douglas - so, he did do some good things).

anyway, even though the tune is edited from 13m down to 10m, there is remarkable interplay between young and hendrix on this jam. like two people who've played together for years. it also shows a serious jazz side of hendrix, which we would have seen more of, had he not choked.

they released another jam from this session (i believe the title is "it's too bad") on a 4 cd hendrix box, but that one is not very exciting. and there is a 3rd unreleased tune from the session. it's called 'world traveler'. that one is quite good also. and last, but not least, there is a 20min jam that is pretty outrageous, goes through a lot of changes.

but the 'young/hendrix' jam gives us what is probably the best glimpse into a lot of avenues that could have happened with hendrix and jazz.

a quote from one of miles' sidemen: "the band of gypsys album traumatized miles".

btw,

when i say that those jams are unissued, i mean not officially issued. they're available on bootlegs. just find a hendrix collector. most of them have this stuff.

I think both Contrasts and Heaven on Earth are quite worthy albums.  Heaven is a bit of a return to his funkier days and I think it is a nice mix of that and his more progressive stuff.

To follow up a bit ...

I *used* to have the Mosaic set and sometimes found it hard to distinguish between Of Love and Peace, Contrasts and Heaven on Earth. In my mind, I sort of lumped those sessions together as "hit or miss and mostly out there a bit".

With the release of Of Love ... as a Conn, I have gone back to re-listen to each of these on their own (I burned both Contrasts and Heaven - excluding the vocal tracks - before I sold the box). Now, each very much takes on its own personality (my "duh" moment, I suppose).

Anyway, to generalize greatly:

1. Contrasts is most like Unity or Mother Ship. The organ/drums duet (Major Affair) is excellent. Most of the rest of the album is strong too.

2. Of Love is definitely out there. Not sure I like the two drummers. Seven Steps is clearly the tighest track. My mind tends to drift when I listen to this record though.

3. Heaven is a very nice album (again, I don't have the vocal track). It is not a sell out and the one funky tune (The Infant) is damn funky. The title track has kind of a weird head (like all the horns somehow barfed at once), but all in all, this is a keeper.

Wish I still had the Mosaic set for the notes ... :angry:

Edited by Eric

I believe it was determined that Larry Young is not the organist on 'It's Too Bad'.

Bertrand.

if you mean determined by jimihendrix.com on the notes to the box set, their info is not always correct.

and then what about the 20min 'fuzzy guitar jam' (not the 15min Duane Hitchings jam)

is that with young?