If I like _____, then I'll LOVE the Anthony Braxton set

tranemonk

I think this has been discussed on other boards (or maybe here too), but including 1971's The Complete Braxton would have been a nice choice over the orchestra stuff. (Even though I haven't heard the orchestra stuff. :rolleyes: )

Nobody plays eighth notes like Braxton. They do not "swing," but if you look at those mathematical graphics long enough, they begin to.

In fairness, the Four Orchestras set is at least as lowly regarded within Braxtons work as OM is within Coltrane's. Included for completeness and out of restpect for the artist, but I have heard no positive comments. I haven't heard it yet myself. Definitely leave that for last.

I have looked long and hard for Creative Orchestra Music 1976 on CD and am thrilled about the set, hope I can find a way to afford it. I still remember a fellow WRTI DJ's description "Anthony Braxton meets John Phillip Sousa".

For Four Orchestras is by no means awful. It was played slower than it should have.

I have Creative Orchestra Music on CD. It's a good one. I'm thinking of listing it on eBay for $136. :)

Edited by B. Clugston

In fairness, the Four Orchestras set is at least as lowly regarded within Braxtons work as OM is within Coltrane's. Included for completeness and out of restpect for the artist, but I have heard no positive comments. I haven't heard it yet myself. Definitely leave that for last.

I have looked long and hard for Creative Orchestra Music 1976 on CD and am thrilled about the set, hope I can find a way to afford it. I still remember a fellow WRTI DJ's description "Anthony Braxton meets John Phillip Sousa".

For Four Orchestras is by no means awful. It was played slower than it should of.

I'm not a native English speaker, but I take it you mean "should have". If not, I don't quite understand what you're saying.

Edited by J.A.W.

For Four Orchestras is by no means awful. It was played slower than it should of.

I'm not a native English speaker, but I take it you mean "should have". If not, I don't quite understand what you're saying.

I should have said that.

Translation: the recorded performance is slow. The composition requires a faster tempo.

The Complete Braxton was a Black Lion production, licensed by Arista for the US market.

Haven't heard the album, but I've read Braxton was a little pissed at the title -- and given the man's output, it is pretty absurd.

It's a really nice set, and presents Braxton in various context. Hence the title, I guess.

Translation: the recorded performance is slow. The composition requires a faster tempo.

Yep, I got that. Thanks :)

I should have said that.

:tup:)

Edited by J.A.W.