Ronnie Scott

mikelz777

Sorry not to be able to help. I heard Ronnie play many times, but in common with many British jazz fans of my time, limited my buying to American albums. Shame!! :( I can say this: he was an accomplished tenorman in the bop idiom in a style which perhaps owed something to Hank Mobley. He is said to have held his own against Sonny Stitt (at the Scott club) and Johnny Griffin (in the Clarke/Boland orchestra).

Not to detract from his music, let me recall that Ronnie had a wicked sense of humor. Here are a couple of examples:

On his early life: "I was born in a room over a Jewish pub in the East End of London. It was called the Kosher Horses. We were very poor. My father was always unemployed - he was a shepherd. We were so poor, they had to buy my clothes at the Army & Navy Stores. Imagine me going to school during the Second World War wearing a Japanese admiral's uniform."

On small towns: "I played a gig once at Tamworth. They have one set of traffic lights - at the crossroads in the middle of town. They change once a week - at 1pm on Wednesdays. Everyone comes out to watch."

(Apologies to those who read this when I posted it before. I thought Ronnie was worth an encore!)

On small towns: "I played a gig once at Tamworth. They have one set of traffic lights - at the crossroads in the middle of town. They change once a week - at 1pm on Wednesdays. Everyone comes out to watch."

And his joke about Scunthorpe (or was it Cleethorpes?) - 'A great place........to come from'.

Saw quite a bit of his late-70s/early 80s band at Scotts when I had a membership and numerous times when he was 'doing a turn' on stage with his jokes. Always a good laugh. Also saw Ronnie one set creased up with laughter as he was enjoying a 'set' by fellow-comedian Prof. Irwin Corey at the club.

The Esquire tracks are really good - I have a few of them but must get hold of that Proper set. The favourite playing for me has always been his work with the Clarke/Boland Big Band. Definite echoes of Hank Mobley (one of his personal favourites I believe) in his playing style.

j02843a339a.jpg

Ronnie Scott - Boppin' With Scott (4-CD, Proper)

Does anyone here own this or have heard it? I'd be interested in hearing thoughts and opinions.

Proper being what they are (rehashing of previous reissues where you can take advantage of the P.D. copyright rules), I'd venture a guess a lot of this material comes from the LPs with early Ronnie Scott material that were reissued on the ESQUIRE label in the 80s.

I have several of these and find them very enjoyable, very creditable examples of bebop playing - a sort of "miniatures" where a lot of energetic music is condensed into the 3-minute playing time limits. Americans may sneer at them and dismiss them as "copycats" but I feel there is more to this music; they did develop their own ideas in the idiom in a quite convincing way.

At the relatively low price of those Proper re-reissues you can probably live with the fact that you often are bound to end up with lots of overlaps and duplicates, and for others it's a good opportunity to fill total blanks in their collections.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

I'd venture a guess a lot of this material comes from the LPs with early Ronnie Scott material that were reissued on the ESQUIRE label in the 80s.

Almost certainly correct. Taken from Esquire 78s and 10"s of the time. That short-lived big band from the early 1950s had quite the line-up - but proved to be commercially a total flop, alas !

I've enjoyed the Ronnie Scott records I've heard from the 50s/60s without needing to hear them often.

But this one from the late 70s is one of my desert island discs:

p5050004.jpg

I think it might have been where I first heard John Taylor; certainly my first hearing of Louis Stewart (who is outstanding and plays in a contemporary Methenyesque style, quite different from his usual swing/bebop approach).

Think the sort of lightly electrified jazz (rather than 'fusion') that Stan Getz or Joe Henderson were doing at the time.

Crying out for a CD issue.

Isn't that one of the ones where he plays 'Invitation'? Ronnie loved that tune - seemed to play it just about every time I saw him. Either that or 'Little Sunflower'.

I'll dig out the 'Serious Gold' LP later. On Pye/Ronnie Scott Productions I seem to recall.

That's the one - terrible pressing. I brought one back and the one I stuck with was only a bit better. Thus the desire for a nicely sorted new version on CD.

I wonder if Ronnie was influence by Henderson playing his club (not sure if he did). The one time I saw him he did 'Blue Bossa' and 'Recorda Me' and I've got earlier versions of 'Lazy Afternoon' (which is also on Serious Gold) and 'Invitation' on Henderson discs from that era.

Isn't that one of the ones where he plays 'Invitation'? Ronnie loved that tune - seemed to play it just about every time I saw him. Either that or 'Little Sunflower'.

I'll dig out the 'Serious Gold' LP later. On Pye/Ronnie Scott Productions I seem to recall.

That's the one - terrible pressing. I brought one back and the one I stuck with was only a bit better. Thus the desire for a nicely sorted new version on CD.

I wonder if Ronnie was influence by Henderson playing his club (not sure if he did). The one time I saw him he did 'Blue Bossa' and 'Recorda Me' and I've got earlier versions of 'Lazy Afternoon' (which is also on Serious Gold) and 'Invitation' on Henderson discs from that era.

Yep - 'Blue Bossa' and 'Recorda Me'. Saw him play both of those. I'm sure he was a big Henderson fan and Joe played the club on quite a few occasions I think (but I never saw him there unfortunately).

I think my pressing of the 'Serious Gold' LP is fine but those Pye LPs were never the greatest.

I did hear Ronnie saying to the audience that Joe Henderson was playing at the club next week though. That's Joe 'Piano' Henderson. :D

Edited by sidewinder

Yep - 'Blue Bossa' and 'Recorda Me'. Saw him play both of those. I'm sure he was a big Henderson fan and Joe played the club on quite a few occasions I think (but I never saw him there unfortunately).

I think my pressing of the 'Serious Gold' LP is fine but those Pye LPs were never the greatest.

I did hear Ronnie saying to the audience that Joe Henderson was playing at the club next week though. That's Joe 'Piano' Henderson. :D

I've got a video of a Ronnie Scott gig where he used that line about Joe 'Piano' Henderson. He also said 'We're very fortunate to have one of the world's top bassists in the band. Unfortunately, he couldn't make it tonight so instead we've got Ron Matthewson.'

I've got a video of a Ronnie Scott gig where he used that line about Joe 'Piano' Henderson. He also said 'We're very fortunate to have one of the world's top bassists in the band. Unfortunately, he couldn't make it tonight so instead we've got Ron Matthewson.'

:lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting! That and the Tubby Hayes Proper I should get some day...

So far I think all I've heard of Scott's is recordings with the Clarke-Boland Big Band, and there, to be honest, he always strikes me as the least interesting of the three tenors - thought not in a way that he's lacking compared to the others. Griffin is one of my big heros, and Coe when he does his Websterish thing gets so smooth and nice, yet often quite adventurous in his lines and harmonics... next to them, Scott seems a bit rough on the edges (and based on that impression I'm a bit surprised by his love for Mobley and Henderson, but then I wouldn't have any idea whom to compare him to, and maybe later/60s Mobley is indeed not that far away).

No, not problems - just I love Griffin that much, and the lush huge sound of Coe holds somehow more interest to me as well. But I've never heard Scott outside of the CBBB so maybe I'd just have to hear him in another setting to re-evaluate his contributions there. Of course the fact alone that he was a long-standing member of that band means he must have been a great musician - not the slightest doubt about that!

I am a very lucky fellow, I saw Scott most saturday nights for about two years. Ronnie Scotts old club 39, Gerrard Street, Soho. On a saturday night we would go firstly too a club called the Marquee to hear The Joe Harriott Quintet. This was a great experience for some one in their late teens, finding jazz in all its many forms. At least part of each performance was devoted to free form jazz, which did not always work out but when it did, sheer joy!. The members of this quintet were, Joe Harriott - alto, Shake Keane - flugal horn, Pat Smythe - piano, Coleridge Goode - bass, and Phil Seamen - drums. We would then grab something to eat and go onto 39, Gerrard St, for what was termed as the all night session. There we would see both Tubby Hayes and Ronnie Scott, sometimes together sometimes as seperate bands. When they play in the same front line it was magic, it was all you could talk about for the rest of the week. Also when they were together it was very noticable that Scott was the power house and Hayes was the technician. If Hayes was going to do a set by himself the stage would have an array of instruments. Tenor, alto and baritone saxes, then flute also vibes. Some of the musicians here were, Jimmy Deuchar - trumpet, piano mainly Stan Tracey but also John Chritchinson and at times Terry Shannon. Bass was Lennie Bush, drums was play by Allan Ganley and Spike Wells. Of course the all night session had its un-official guest, mainly americans playing somewhere else or in England without a permit. Really any jazz musician or singer in the audiance that would catch Ronnies eye, he would invite on stage. It would finish around five on sunday morning and in those days the tube (underground railway) did not start running till about 7 o-clock, so we would go to a main line station to get a coffee from a vending machine. Scratched on the side of one such machine was these immortal words.

Drink varnish, it will kill you but give you a lovely finish.

Sorry to ramble on, I only ment to say a few words about Ronnie but the memories come flooding back.

I am a very lucky fellow, I saw Scott most saturday nights for about two years. Ronnie Scotts old club 39, Gerrard Street, Soho. On a saturday night we would go firstly too a club called the Marquee to hear The Joe Harriott Quintet. This was a great experience for some one in their late teens, finding jazz in all its many forms. At least part of each performance was devoted to free form jazz, which did not always work out but when it did, sheer joy!. The members of this quintet were, Joe Harriott - alto, Shake Keane - flugal horn, Pat Smythe - piano, Coleridge Goode - bass, and Phil Seamen - drums. We would then grab something to eat and go onto 39, Gerrard St, for what was termed as the all night session. There we would see both Tubby Hayes and Ronnie Scott, sometimes together sometimes as seperate bands. When they play in the same front line it was magic, it was all you could talk about for the rest of the week. Also when they were together it was very noticable that Scott was the power house and Hayes was the technician. If Hayes was going to do a set by himself the stage would have an array of instruments. Tenor, alto and baritone saxes, then flute also vibes. Some of the musicians here were, Jimmy Deuchar - trumpet, piano mainly Stan Tracey but also John Chritchinson and at times Terry Shannon. Bass was Lennie Bush, drums was play by Allan Ganley and Spike Wells. Of course the all night session had its un-official guest, mainly americans playing somewhere else or in England without a permit. Really any jazz musician or singer in the audiance that would catch Ronnies eye, he would invite on stage. It would finish around five on sunday morning and in those days the tube (underground railway) did not start running till about 7 o-clock, so we would go to a main line station to get a coffee from a vending machine. Scratched on the side of one such machine was these immortal words.

Drink varnish, it will kill you but give you a lovely finish.

Sorry to ramble on, I only ment to say a few words about Ronnie but the memories come flooding back.

Thanks for that! Took me back to those days! Still remember those guys - vividly!