The Holiday Music Section

Soulstation1

While Vince Guaraldi's "Charlie Brown Christmas" is definitely my favorite, I also highly recommend Kenny Burrell's "Have Yourself a Soulful Christmas." Someone burned me a copy a while back, and I've always enjoyed it. The great thing about this is (much to my surprise) that it was just released in the Verve LPR series. My copy just came in the mail today, but I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. Still, the LPR series is cheap and I'm glad Verve put this one out. :tup

I also highly recommend Kenny Burrell's "Have Yourself a Soulful Christmas." Someone burned me a copy a while back, and I've always enjoyed it. The great thing about this is (much to my surprise) that it was just released in the Verve LPR series.

icon13.gificon13.gificon13.gificon13.gificon13.gificon13.gificon13.gificon13.gif

Wow- I've been waiting for a CD version of this for a LONG time. Thanks for the heads up, vibes icon13.gif

i've d/led about 10 christmas cds from emusic, but haven't listened to them yet.

:tup ss1 - could you post the emusic cds you found? I've been looking for some good christmas tunes to download, but I haven't found much other than the Vince Guaraldi.

Maybe I'll be able to download them, unless they kick me off first. I got the nastygram today -- my account "has been identified as having dowload activity that far exceeds that of the overwhelming majority of subscribers". :w

i only have 4, i thought i had more.

stax- it's christmas time again

clooney- white christmas

various- the christmas collection

brian setzer - boogie woogie christmas

the d'ling sucks for the most part lately from emusic

i haven't heard a note from any of these cds, so i can't say something one way or the other.

ss1

Edited by Soulstation1

The Ray Brown Christmas disc on Telarc is very very nice, every cut is a winner except for Greg Hutchinson's rap at the end.

In 1964 (according to AMG), Prestige put out two different Christmas albums under the same name, Holiday Soul, one by Bobby Timmons and the other by Don Patterson. When, oh when, will Fantasy get on the ball and put these out as a two-fer? I mean, I know holiday music only sells for a couple of months, but I bet these would sell fine over several years' time. I do have a burn of the Timmons, and its good, but I've always wondered about the Patterson.

"...They call me Back Door Santa

I make my runs about the break of day

They call me Back Door Santa

I make my runs about the break of day

Ho! Ho! Ho!

I make all the little girls happy

while the boys are out to play

I ain't like Ol' Saint Nick

He don't come but once a year

Ho! Ho! Ho! Ho!

I ain't like Ol' Saint Nick

He don't come but once a year

Looky here,

I come running with my presents

every time you call me near..."

--Clarence Carter :rsmile:

I've got both the Timmons and Patterson Holiday Soul albums: I's say good but not great with a slight nod to the Patterson. I also like the KB Have Yourself a Soulful... and Emy Lou Harris' Light of the Stable, the various artist's Soul Christmas (includes Clarence Carter's "Back Door Santa"), Phil Spector's Christmas Gift For You" (the most imitated?), the Ventures' _____(Xmas fare set to rock riffs, v. funny), and the Boston Camerata's series of obscure seasonal fare from the middle ages, rennasance, etc.

Just wanted to mention that I opened up the Kenny Burrell and am listening to it right now. It sounds excellent and Kenny was really on that day. A definite must for anyone who likes jazz guitar, or holiday music. The LPR series is very affordably priced, as well. :tup

Amen to the Burrell Christmas CD, which has gotten several spins in our household this past week. In addition to the old standbys like Guaraldi and Ella, I also like the compilation HIPSTERS' HOLIDAY, Bird's famous "White Christmas" (as well as the Ravens' 1940s doo-wop version), Bill Evans' vocal take on "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town" ("with a beard on!") from the Evans Verve box, Frank Kimbrough's "Silver Bells"... too many others to mention. As a radio programmer I try to find "new" material each Christmas, something I haven't played several times before; in that spirit I sent a check off to Chuck today for the Uptown Christmas collection, which will be adorning the airwaves of Bloomington come late December.

Okay, so maybe my favorite holiday song is really . . . "Yesterdays" from the Commodore days. . . .

Oh and as an Xmas cd, well I really don't like Xmas music at all. Being a PK I've heard it all too too too many times. But I do like Marcus Roberts' "Prayer for Peace."

A Charlie Brown Christmas

The Dave Brubeck Christmas CD on Telarc

John Fahey's New Possibility

The Ventures Christmas Album

Percy Faith's CHRISTMAS IS (laugh if you want, I absolutely LOVE this album) :wub:

I GOTTA get that Burrell CD, I'm so tickled it's out!!! And this year I'm gonna quit bein' such a cheapskate and get that Joe Pass Christmas CD. Can't believe I put it off every year.

I also dig Scott Hamilton's rendition of "Little Drummer Boy."

And even though it's not a Christmas album in any way, shape, or form, Jobim's TERRA BRASILIS makes me think of Christmas time.

James Brown: Santa's Got a Brand New Bag

Aaron Neville's Soulful Christmas

NRBQ: Christmas Wish

The Roches: We Three Kings

Huey Smith and the Clowns: 'Twas the Night Before Christmas

Swing Time Christmas (Night Train) - Lloyd Glenn, Lowell Fulson, Dexter Gordon, Big Joe Turner, Mabel Scott, Cecil Gant, Pete Johnson, & others. *

Rhythm and Blues Christmas (Hollywood) - Hank Ballard, Charles Brown, Freddy King, Gatemouth Moore, & others. *

Blue Christmas (Blue Moon) - Clyde McPhatters and the Drifters ("White Christmas), Nat King Cole ("The Christmas Song"), Little Esther, The Orioles, The Moonglows, Bull Moose Jackson, Julia Lee, Amos Milburn, Jimmy Liggins, Roy Milton, & others. *

* There is some duplication of tracks on these three.

Doo Wop Christmas (Rhino) - This is OK, but some of the best tracks are on the Blue Moon release.

Blue Yule (Rhino) - A fine Holiday blues comp - Texas Pete Mayes, Eddie C. Campbell, Poppa Hop (Hop Wilson), Jimmy McCracklin, Lightnin Hopkins, Louis Jordan, Detroit Junior, and others.

Hillbilly Holiday (Rhino) - If you have a taste for 50's/'60's country, this is the Holiday comp to get - George Jones, The Louvin Brothers, The Davis Sisters, Buck Owens, Hank Snow, Ernest Tubb, and from the 70's: Commander Cody: "Daddy's Drinking Up Our Christmas".

The Best of Cool Yule (Rhino) - Ike & Tina, Jack Scott, Edward "Kookie" Burns ("Yulesville"), The Marquees ("Christmas In the Congo"), The Harmony Grits, and others.

Soul Christmas (Rhino) - A Classic.

Christmas Party with Eddie G. (Columbia) - Rufus Thomas, Eddie Lawrence - The Old Philosopher, Louis Prima, Augie Rios ("Donde Esta Santa Claus"), Arthur Lyman, NRBQ, and others.

Bummed Out Christmas (Rhino) - The Youngsters ("Christmas in Jail"), Clyde Lasley & the Cadillac Baby Specials ("Santa Came Home Drunk"), Johnny & Jon ("Christmas in Viet Nam"), The Everly Brothers ("Christmas Can Kill You"). The Christmas Jug Band featuring Dan Hicks ("Somebody Stole My Santa Claus Suit"), and others. You Get the idea.

New England Christmastide (North Star) - Fine acoustic (guitar, cello, wood flute, recorder, concertina, uillean pipes, mandolin, hurdy gurdy, etc.) renditions of Christmas classics.

And a mention for Bukka White's "Christmas Eve Blues" on Mississippi Delta Blue Jam in Memphis Vol. 2 (Arhoolie)

ghost of miles already mentioned Hipster's Holiday, and I'll second that choice - Babs Gonsalez, Louis, Miles, Big John Greer, Leo Watson, The Marquees, LHR, Pearl Bailey, Hamp - A Great collection.