Heeeeeey, Heeeeeeeey , Heeeeeeeey

I had a Transformers one I thought was pretty cool back in the day.

"Transformers".

"back in the day".

Geez, Jim, you sure know how to make a guy feel old.

SS's picture reminded me of the Cosby album "Wonderfulness". One of my first comedy records (next to the Smothers Brothers- "I Fell Into A Vat Of Chocolate")-

it had "Chicken Heart" and "Ice Cream" among others. Classic stuff. Still funny.

Gone are the days when they actually made lunch boxes out of metal.

I for one am glad that those old things are gone. Not the boxes, but the thermos bottles with the breakable inner part. Everytime I broke one it was punishment time, and of course back then "the belt" wasn't considered child abuse...

Nope. Don't miss 'em at all.

Delete that photo instantly.

If someone from Verve sees it you just know what the next boxed set they issue will look like!

(Can I just point out that in the UK we did not have lunch boxes. I carried my piece of dry bread and morsel of cheese in a piece of greaseproof paper. Marshall Aid? Pah!)

Never had a lunch box. Why back in my day, the entire school was sent home for lunch. I attended a neighborhood Catholic grammar school which in its heydey probably had about 600 students. With the exception of a small lunch room that held about 20 children, we all went home for 1 hour.

I was the 1960s by the way. My how times have changed.

Gone are the days when they actually made lunch boxes out of metal.

I for one am glad that those old things are gone. Not the boxes, but the thermos bottles with the breakable inner part. Everytime I broke one it was punishment time, and of course back then "the belt" wasn't considered child abuse...

Nope. Don't miss 'em at all.

Those old metal ones from the '50s and early '60s are worth mucho bucks though! I wish I had a few - they'd buy alot of music.

.....and of course back then "the belt" wasn't considered child abuse...

Tell me about it. :angry:

In our house we had some wicked device called "the Piddah" (spelled phonetically from the Polish word) It was a broom stick handle - cut about 1 foot in length. Nailed to the very end of the handle was a piece of leather belt about 18 inches long. The last 6-8 inches or so of the leather belt was frayed - so the "Piddah" was essentially a whip or flagellum. Nice huh? :wacko:

Needless to say, it hurt like hell.

Ramee,

I got bashed over the head with a Peanuts lunch box, which just seems wrong since Charlie Brown was so non-violent.

Those things hurt like.....

I loved S.W.A.T. too. When I was a kid, I was riding bikes with my dad and we stumbled upon the filming of a S.W.A.T. episode. Needless to say I was thrilled. :D

This was the one I had:

76Lunchbox.jpg

When the gutters used to ice over, I used the poor thing as a bowling ball. It could slide about a third of a block. My brother had a Roadrunner box, but never subjected his to such lunacy.

Bev — The Complete Buddy DeFranco Verve Sessions ... brought to you by The Human Torch, The Thing, Mr. Fantastic ... you get the picture. All Verve would have to do is slap some instruments onto their torsos. The question is — who would Sonny Clark be? And how would the thermos be used? Maybe the liners would be rolled up and stuffed there — the ancient Ira Gitler Scrolls!

That does seem wrong, you'd think that anyone carrying a Peanuts lunchbox would be a little more laid back and restrained.

P.S., I love the Abe Vigoda avatar. I wonder if they ever made a Barney Miller lunchbox... :D

You'd think with that cool Vince Guaraldi soundtrack that the Peanut's lunchbox carrying kid would be mellow. But no, he was big and angry. I sure wish he would have been brown bagging it that day. The only thing that would have been hurt would have been his lunch. :P

I'm glad you like the avatar. It's my regular avatar's Halloween costume. :D

I had a lunchbox in kindergarden and first grade, but then started brown-bagging it. Maybe kids at my school didn't think they were cool. Of course, I remember one time in 1st grade this kid and I started bashing each other's brains out with our lunchboxes... Maybe that had something to do with it.

Ed, I lived one-and-half blocks from my elementary school and STILL had to stay there for lunch! Now I feel cheated!! :angry:

DAMN - Man with the Golden Arm - I had one of those too!!! In fact I STILL HAVE IT!! Now I have misc. hardware in it, but it still has remnants of a decal I put on it when I was a kid, as well as my name (written by my father) in black marker on one side.

Of course, when I was a bit younger I did have one of those metal jobbies, but I can't remember which cartoon hero was pictured on it. My sister remembers a lot of this stuff ----- I'll have to ask her.