What's for breakfast?

I think breakfast is my favorite meal. During the week I usually just have a smoothie (which for me is apple, banana, strawberries, yogurt & orange juice) and a piece of toast or an English muffin, or maybe cereal. And always coffee- freshly ground beans (I'm a Sumatra fan) using a Chemex drip coffee carafe. After a lifetime of frustration using those automatic drip machines, I've finally found coffee nirvana.

On weekends, though, I love to take on bigger projects, like a "diner" breakfast- eggs, potatoes, some kind of breakfast meat, fresh fruit & toast are a favorite. Every now and then I make waffles or pancakes. Today I made popovers- I used to have those when I was a kid and just recently rediscovered them. Easy to make and great with some good jam.

It's taken me forever to learn to make good hash browns- I like 'em crispy. My current method is to shred the potato onto a piece of cheesecloth and then soak it in hot water (to remove starchiness and also to keep them warm so they don't lower the temperature of the oil). It's critical to have the pan & oil up to temperature before putting the potatoes in. Sometime I'll just cut it into chunks or slices, and cook them with onions (which you have to put in later so they don't burn).

Another treat I make on occasion (usually for company) is stuffed French toast. I use Pepperidge Farm cinnamon bread- take a couple slices and spread cream cheese between them and then dip it in egg and cook as usual- decadent and tasty. For conventional French Toast I really like Challah bread.

Oh yeah- I also like ketchup on my scrambled eggs, which I know is abhorrent to many.

Breakfast is a fun meal, although it's more fun if you get to cook for someone. <_<

I'd be interested to hear about others' favorites, or variations on what I've already mentioned. I'm looking to try some new things.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, breakfast is THE important meal. I always have the same thing.

A third of a litre (half a pint, near as dammit, I think) of orange juice (not from concentrate by preference).

A bowl of muesli; Wally's de luxe, from a deli in Cardiff, (happily round the corner from Spillers records).

One or two slices of my own wholemeal bread, toasted, with Asda Valencia orange marmalade (THE best available anywhere in Britain - 66% fruit).

A LARGE cup of tea - whatever kind my wife wants to buy.

And a bit more than an hour's worth of CDs on the portable downstairs before my wife gets up.

I usualy take her a cup of Rhooibos tea before I start my own breakfast, plus toast or muesli, if she wants, but if she wants porridge, she has to make it herself :) She doesn't trust me to make it reasonably well (probably right).

MG

Just a bowl of cheapo Sainsbury's muesli for me in the week (breakfast has to be polished off in 3 minutes!); with toast and honey or marmalade at weekends.

When I'm away I always indulge in full English heart-attack fry-up...or even better, a full Irish (black and white pudding, soda bread!).

recently made the transition from my daily coffee, cigarettes and chocolate brunch to mate tea, so-called swedish bread ("schwedenbrötchen" a mix between croissants and ordinary bread) (and cigarettes, that part wasn't planned)

my chinese office neighbour discovered rhooibos tea last year and was totally blown away (he calls it "german tea" though)

My bagel place closed down but that led me to discover an even better one. That and coffee is my regular breakfast. Sundays I throw in a lo-fat no sugar added corn muffin.

Anyone else eat hard-boiled egg sandwiches for Sunday brunch?

Bagel, mayo, romaine lettuce, bacon, and hard-boiled egg cut into thirds, salt and pepper to taste.

Yum.

The current fave for me & the daughter is a banana & Nutella sandwich on toast.

If I have time to make them in the morning, then ham & cheese muffins are nice. It's a modified version of a recipe I found in a cookbook with the unappetizing title "Grey Poupon muffins"--I don't think you could sell the kid on the idea of mustard-flavoured muffins, but if you describe it a little differently then it beomes her favourite snack.

I still miss the rusk and rolls of Denmark. In the main, American bakers are not very good at breadmaking, IMHO. I never liked sourdough and I will never understand the popularity of Wonderbread.

I had some of THE best bagels I've ever had in my life, last month in Brooklyn. I don't know if that counts or not, but they were excellent! From some little neighborhood place.

Generic loaves of bread you can buy in the supermarket are like generic American beer - Budweiser, Coors, & Miller.

About twice a week I have 2 eggs, sunny side up, bacon or sausage, real toast (not the Wonderbread-type gooey crap), a glass of pulpy orange juice (no concentrate here, either) and a cup of coffee (brewed from beans).

The rest of the week, I usually have a good cup of tea (often Earl Grey) w. milk, two buttered rusks or a Thomas's bagel, and orange juice. Sometimes I add a small bowl of cereal, my favorite being Post's shredded wheat. However, I also like raw oatmeal w. sugar and milk.

I still miss the rusk and rolls of Denmark. In the main, American bakers are not very good at breadmaking, IMHO. I never liked sourdough and I will never understand the popularity of Wonderbread.

Are we talking Thomas' of Thomas' English Muffins fame?

In that case, all I can say is, My God man, you live in New York City!

If you're going to eat those bagels, why not go an aisle over and get them frozen from Sarah Lee? They'll keep better.

I almost started this thread a couple of times, Paul. :)

Blueberry pancakes are the baseline breakfast food for me. My Dad can make a mean omelet, but I haven't mastered that yet. The best breakfast I think I ever had was one my sister made; Mexicali eggs. Basically you get a pot of salsa/tomato stuff simmering, then drop some eggs on the surface. Once they're poached, you scoop them out into a pre-made tortilla cup, garnesh and serve. I think that was around my birthday one year, so we also had some kind of alcoholic beverage, then chocolate cake for dessert. Dessert for breakfast - YES!

Then there's a great tradition we have in our extended family of eggs ala' suisse for Thanksgiving and Christmas morning. A nice riesling goes good with that.

And finally, there are three or four restaurants in town where one can get a good breakfast, which I do almost every weekend, especially when Rachel comes up.

So yeah, I like a good breakfast. :rsmile:

And finally, there are three or four restaurants in town where one can get a good breakfast, which I do almost every weekend, especially when Rachel comes up.

I love to find the good breakfast joints when I move somewhere. I'm going to visit my best friend in Iowa City (miles251) over the holiday and our tradition is to go out for a good diner breakfast. I love the funky little places with mismatched tables and chairs. There were great places in Chicago & KC.

Going out for late-night breakfast after gigs used to be a regular thing, you know, the 2AM breakfast hang (sometimes while quiet inebriated). I never do that anymore, partially because of avoidance of late-night eating, but also because there are no gigs in this town! <_<

I love that Diners, Drive-ins & Dives show on Food Network- I've actually been to several of those places. Whenever I travel somewhere I always try to seek out the mom-and-pop local places and avoid the chains. Although when there are no alternatives, places like IHOP or Denny's etc. do a decent breakfast (breakfast is the only meal I'd eat there, though).

Yeah Lon- warm chocolate croissants and coffee. 'Nuff said. :wub:

I loves me some blueberry pancakes Joe! And those Mexicali eggs sound awesome! I'm going to have to try that. :rsmile:

Breakfast is indeed a great meal if done right.

My staple is eggs (over medium), toast (wheat) and butter, and some sort of sausage. Either links or patties. Had that this "morning", which was really 2pm because I didn't get to bed until 6am.

I love omelets, but I have not mastered the art of making them. Gotta work on that.

I love to find the good breakfast joints when I move somewhere. I'm going to visit my best friend in Iowa City (miles251) over the holiday and our tradition is to go out for a good diner breakfast. I love the funky little places with mismatched tables and chairs. There were great places in Chicago & KC.

Going out for late-night breakfast after gigs used to be a regular thing, you know, the 2AM breakfast hang (sometimes while quiet inebriated). I never do that anymore, partially because of avoidance of late-night eating, but also because there are no gigs in this town! <_<

I love that Diners, Drive-ins & Dives show on Food Network- I've actually been to several of those places. Whenever I travel somewhere I always try to seek out the mom-and-pop local places and avoid the chains. Although when there are no alternatives, places like IHOP or Denny's etc. do a decent breakfast (breakfast is the only meal I'd eat there, though).

Paul,

I recommend Jim & Milts Bar-B-Que on West Pensacola for breakfast. Honest - used to go there all the time.

Speaking of chains, its hard to go wrong at Cracker Barrel. I'd probably go there first ahead of IHOP or Denny's.

In the past, I rarely ate breakfast. Since I retired, a typical breakfast for me is oatmeal w. raisins and a banana, either an English muffin or a couple pieces of cinnamon raisin toast, a cup of green or mint tea, a glass of milk, and a vitamin tablet.

I usually eat a small lunch - just the opposite of my eating habits when I was working.

you just reminded me of some breakfasts i haven't thought of in a very long while! probably closer to 4AM in Chinatown with Mingus or Wells for some eggs, chicken and waffles with my ex-husband. wonderful memories and mouth-watering ones as well!

Edited by ValerieB

Joe makes a mean scrambled egg. He's always finding great things to add; my favorite being scrambled eggs with kale, red pepper, onion, asiago cheese (and maybe a little garlic?). The kale is done to pefection, just before the wilting point, and the cheese adds just the right bite. He toasts some artisan type bread which is really good with the eggs.

I also like when he whips up scrambled egg, red pepper, onion, monterey jack cheese, served between two warm corn tortillias with a little salsa (pineapple is my favorite). I could eat those all day long.

His pancakes are awesome, too. He does them just right on a cast iron griddle.

I remember the first time I had the eggs a la suisse-- the aroma from the freshly grated swiss cheese was heavenly, and the eggs were perfect. They truly are wonderful. The reisling at breakfast made for a nice early afternoon nap, too. ^_^

Edited by rachel

• 2 months later...