Stanley Turrentine Easy Walker CD-R

dova

No way am I about to jump on the CD-R bandwagon. Stanley's Easywalker as a CD-R for $16.98. I Bought mine last summer, An original rare groove on Amazon for $21.99 3rd party Seller in MINT condition. It's worth it to me to pay $5 more to have the original rare groove series. By the way this is one of Turrentine's best sessions with nearly 70min of music it has 5 bonus tracks. I don't blame anyone for getting the CD-R, I'm just a collector and is against my methodology.

Edited by dova

Concerning the music, overall, its a swell disc where there are a couple of real standout tracks starting with the first and another track with Billy Cobham that I can't recall (don't have it in front of me). I don't know if I would pay full retail price for it, especially a CDR, but if you see it in a second-hand bin (which is where I got my copy) then its definitely worth picking up.

The bonus tracks are actually superior to the original album, especially Stan's take on "Wave" which is gorgeous.

Oh, I didn't know there were bonus tracks. Are they the ones that were issued on the "Rainbow" BN called "Ain't no way" (LT1095)?

Stan's shuffle

Watch what happens

Intermission walk

Wave

Ain't no way (with Shirley)

MG

The bonus tracks are actually superior to the original album, especially Stan's take on "Wave" which is gorgeous.

Oh, I didn't know there were bonus tracks. Are they the ones that were issued on the "Rainbow" BN called "Ain't no way" (LT1095)?

Stan's shuffle

Watch what happens

Intermission walk

Wave

MG

Almost. "Ain't no way" is not on Easy Walker, but "A Foggy Day" is an additional bonus track.

Stan's shuffle

Watch what happens

Intermission walk

Wave

MG

Almost. "Ain't no way" is not on Easy Walker, but "A Foggy Day" is an additional bonus track.

Ah, I had the feeling that the correct place to reissue "Ain't no way" would have been on the "Common touch" CD, since it's from that session.

So, was the "Easy walker" CD the first issue for "A foggy day"? I don't think I've got that. (So I can't make my own CD-R :))

MG

Ah, I had the feeling that the correct place to reissue "Ain't no way" would have been on the "Common touch" CD, since it's from that session.

So, was the "Easy walker" CD the first issue for "A foggy day"? I don't think I've got that. (So I can't make my own CD-R :))

MG

Ain't no way is indeed on Common Touch; it appears to be from a separate session, though with almost the same personnel as the session that led to Common Touch (the drummer is different). Don't know if Foggy Day landed elsewhere.

MG

Ain't no way is indeed on Common Touch; it appears to be from a separate session, though with almost the same personnel as the session that led to Common Touch (the drummer is different).

So it is - hadn't noticed that before.

Don't know if Foggy Day landed elsewhere.

A bit of digging in the jazz discog site and

"Foggy day" was from the same session that produced four of the tracks that were included in the "Return of the prodigal son" CD. I suppose that it was added to the "Easy walker" CD because of the similarity of material, rather than any other connection.

These later Stanleys would make a pretty nice Mosaic. Though one would hope they'd do a better job with them than the eariler Mosaic, which isn't complete because it missed out "ZT's blues", one of his best early sixties jobs.

MG

MG

Ain't no way is indeed on Common Touch; it appears to be from a separate session, though with almost the same personnel as the session that led to Common Touch (the drummer is different). Don't know if Foggy Day landed elsewhere.

how are cds and cdrs different? how are commercial cds pressed to the the music on them anyways, if they aren't like "burned" like u do when "burning" a cd-r as they say....now are these commercial ones printed like a real cd, or is it just totally, totally sketch, like my Korean pressing of "Inna-Gadda-Da-Vida"

From Wikipedia:

CD mastering differs from burning, as the pits and lands of a mastered CD are moulded into a CD blank, rather than being 'burn marks' in a dye layer (in CD-Rs) or areas with changed physical characteristics (in CD-RWs). In addition, CD burners write data sequentially, while a CD pressing plant 'writes' the entire disk in one physical stamping operation.

I'm steering clear of CDRs. I got one print-on-demand title which was leased from Universal (A Clarke-Boland Big Band album); it does not play on older CD players. In that particular case, liner notes were also missing.

Edited by Daniel A

I bought Patton's "Accent on the Blues" as such a manufactured CDR. Wrote them an angry mail as I wasn't aware if was a CDR when I ordered... of course they just sent a pre-fab mail in response suckers. "Blue John" is also available as CDR from Amazon. I'll watch closer next time... 13 or 14 $ for a CDR is way over the top, and the prize for "Accent" went up to 16 or 17 later on. That's crazy!