Favorite Jazz Xmas Music--

medjuck

I love New Possibility the Christmas Album by John Fahey and Christmas Vol 2.

his version of Carol of the Bells is haunting.

after years of not playing it I have over the last two days been way into the Vince Guaraldi - Charlie Brown Christmas. It swings like crazy and the tune witting is fantastic. Hard to imagine a time in America when kids wanted to take piano lessons so they could learn the Linus and Lucy tune.

Happy holidays to all the Organistas!

I think my favourite is Plas Johnson's "Christmas in Hollywood". He includes - and is the first one as far as I know to record this since its original recording in 1946 - Tad Dameron's "A bebop carol". Could you ask for anything better?

Well, all right then, quite a few other tunes that aren't among the usual suspects are included as well. Most unhackneyed stuff. And a few great vocals by Ernie Andrews.

And, as if that isn't enough, licensing for the album was done by Gaye D Funk!!!!!

MG

Two tunes played by Dexter Gordon top my list of favorite individual tracks.

The Christmas Song - Prestige

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas - Columbia

When it comes to complete CDs, these are ones I particularly like.

An Uptown Christmas - Uptown

(Barry Harris,Tommy Flanagan, Kenny Barron, Walter Davis,Jr., Frank Wess, Al Cohn, Sahib Shihab,Carl Fontana,

Johnny Coles, Jack Sheldon,Charlie Rouse etc.)

Niels Jorgen Steen Quintet - Bebop Christmas - Storyville (Bob Rockwell on tenor sax)

Dave McKenna - Christmas Ivory - Concord Jazz

Rob McConnell and The Boss Brass - Big Band Christmas - Concord Jazz

Jim Galloway & Jay McShann - Jim & Jay's Christmas - Sackville

Anthologies usually have a few bum tracks (bad vocalists or overdone sax).

Well, I am happy to report that on Xmas evening both my wife and my 8-year old son sat through the background Xmas music of the entire two sides of the "Mr Santa's Boogie" LP on Savoy SJL 1157 without even attemting to protest at all (even through Charlie Parker's "White Christmas" version - not a bum track at all, of course, but something that takes some getting used to for non-bebop jazz ears ;)).

Edited by Big Beat Steve