so how was your Halloween?

jacman

this was our first Halloween in this neighborhood (we moved here 1-03). there are quite a few kids, so i expected alot of trick-or-treaters.

alot was an understatement. i went thru 4 huge bags of candy before shutting down at 8pm!

i sat outside for the last hour and smoked a cigar while handing out candy.

an interesting observation from my porch: car/van loads of kids (not from our neighborhood) being dropped off and picked up. these same children were quite rude and few said trick-or-treat, happy halloween or thank you unless prodded or reminded (from a parent or adult) <_<

It was a dead one for us. Very few kids. About 9:15, three kids knocked on the door just as we had decided we were stuck with a whole bowl full of candy. Yup; I emptied the bowl into their bags! You should have seen the youngest...thought she'd found the motherlode! After that, we shut off the lights and went into the bedroom; we had thoughts of these three kids spreading the word about the crazy people that would give you a whole bowl of candy... :ph34r:

I had to play in Lansing's smokiest bar... The Green Door Lounge.

They had a costume contest and first place was a 4 day, 3 night stay in your choice of 12 hotels in Vegas. You just have to get yourself there. I wish I wore a costume.

:)

There was a really drunk girl in a wedding dress that I think works at the local strip club. By the end of the night she was rolling around on the dance floor. Pretty nasty.

I craked our drummer up with a comment I sung as part of the backing vocals (that I cannot repeat here) about her during the one millioneth rendition of "Brown Eyed Girl" (thank you, Mr. Bassist for suggesting that stinker) and he could barely finish the tune.

Good times.

Ann and I live on a street one block long. Vans pull up at the end of the street and dump out kids. We get 2-300 kids a night. Years past, Ann dressed up in a scary outfit and I boomed up sound effects from the basement. After doing this for around 20 years and having to deal with "smart ass teenagers", we decided to go to the local multiplex for a movie to avoid the whole thing.

Our plans were to be gone between 5 and 9. It worked like a charm.

We arrived at the theater about a half hour before the start of Runaway Jury, so we went into the nearly empty auditorium. Slowly it filled to around one third capacity. We noticed EVERYONE in the place were couples about our age. Guess it wasn't an original idea for those in our age group. Not sure if it's reassuring to be part of this group, or not.

We went through 8 bags of candy (no, we didn't eat that ourselves :P).

It was our first Halloween in this place. I haven't seen this many kids trick-or-treating since I was trick-or-treating :D. It was really fun.

My son went out as Pooh Bear and was the hit of the block. It was really cute.

So overall, I'd give it. :tup:tup

Rained pretty much spoiled ours. We went around soaking wet for a while then gave it up. went home to help my wife hand out candy.

The weather cleared and we started getting piles of people. Same story of vans dropping off kids and such. We ran out of candy at 7:40 and I just turned off the lights. We had a very large turnout afterall.

Can understand Chuck's actions. I'll probably do the same sometime, but my kid is still into it. Many people on our street turn out the lights and I would say only 50% of the houses were lit.

Although one can complain that Halloween has become so commercialized as everything else, it's still refreshing to see that people still have the freedom to turn off their lights and opt out if they so desire.

We had really happening Halloween this year. Lots of kids at our door (I set it up so that "Blood Money" by Tom Waits was playing outside when the kids approached. Created a very spooooky atmosphere). This was the first year my daughter (3 1/2) went trick or treating. She was dressed as Snow White and I wore a pair of bunny ears. We went around the neighborhood, and she kept saying things like "This is kinda scary, huh daddy? You're not supposed to walk around at night! You're supposed to sleep at night!" She loved getting candy, and every time we'd finish at one house, she'd race off to the next. At one point, as we were walking, I started making ghostly moaning sounds, all the while pretending I didn't know where they were coming from. Didn't fool her for a minute. She kept saying: "Stop it, daddy. I know that's you." Finally she said: "Daddy, you're being a real pain in the butt!" I completely lost it! It was so funny and cute!

Great Halloween! Best ever! :g:g:g

Trick or Treating? was virtually unknown in the UK until a few years back...it's become a bit of a thing in recent years largely through the influence of US TV and films.

We get added madness. November the 5th is Guy Fawkes night. Bonfires, fireworks. This can drive you totally nuts if, like this year, it falls mid-week, because no-one knows when to hold their Bonfire Party. So at the moment (Sunday, 2nd Nov) it sounds like Ypres in 1915...its going to be like that every night this week and then again at the weekend.

And if you're in a neighbourhod that's big on Diwali...

Bah, Humbug!

So, here's a deal.

You take back Trick or Treat? and we'll throw in Guy Fawkes Night as well. In return we'll take Thanksgiving Day off your hands (which always sounds like much more fun).

So, here's a deal.

You take back Trick or Treat? and we'll throw in Guy Fawkes Night as well. In return we'll take Thanksgiving Day off your hands (which always sounds like much more fun).

A big NYET to that!

No way we're giving up Thanksgiving. That one is a real joy.

We'll take back Halloween if you take back Boxing Day; that one is a real snooze! ;)

This was the first year that rain threatened to kill it. When it first got dark the weather seemed to have cleared up, but later it started to sprinkle, then turn to real RAIN. So we ducked into a Walgreens and bought both of our kids small umbrellas, and when we came out the rain had stopped and the sky was clearing up again! At least the kids got umbrellas with duck-face handles out of it. This year it seemed quieter than usual but then we ran into groups that seemed to be composed of two or three families trick-or-treating together (not a bad idea really). My kids seemed to think that these big crowds would jinx their haul or something; my older one would say "Avoid the crowd! Avoid the crowd!" when he saw such a group and try to get us to cross the street.

Some houses were just amazing in the amount of decorations and gadgets and gewgaws that they put up. It certainly seems to have become more of an "adult" holiday than it used to be. When I was a kid, all you saw for decoration were pumkins and the occassional jack-o-lantern. Now some houses are like Disneyland. They say it's now the biggest holiday other than Christmas. Strange.

Wait a minute, Paul; let's think this thing through. I figure that Thanksgiving probably costs me a couple of pounds, so over 46 years, that's 92 pounds I wouldn't have gained; heck, I say give it to him!

But no way we're taking Guy Fawkes Day; just the thought of what sixth graders would do with that name is too much for me! :wacko:

I went over to the home of some friends for what was supposed to be a quiet dinner. It turned out to be an 80's themed surprise birthday/halloween party for yours truly. They had a costume ready for me and everything, I was Crocket from Miami Vice. :g

The best gift I got was this...

VTSD02Dlg.jpg

"Snoopafly" :tup;)

Brutal...but thanks for asking. My idea of a reasonable evening is NOT a dozen mixed gender 13 year olds partying in our rather smallish front room. Fortunately, the party thrower was my SO's daughter which by default made her the babysitter designate. The sum total of my responsibilities involved putting on a scary DVD and disappearing with our 190 lb. dog in the back room. Unfortunately, that didn't keep me from hearing enough to know that 13 year olds now don't talk or act anything like 13 years olds when I was one. I thought I'd fallen asleep and woken up in a rap club. Booty this and booty that... It'll probably be awhile before we host anything like this again and that's a very good thing.

Up over and out.

I live in Tucson, Arizona. I took a flight to visit a friend (a female friend!) in Columbus, Ohio on Halloween morning. I arrived at the Columbus airport on Halloween afternoon.

I met her. We ate at a local Italian restaurant. I 'forced' her to take me to the nearest Border's store to make certain the Border's in Columbus didn't have anything, musically speaking, that the Tucson Border's didn't have. It didn't.

I did find this book that I'd never seen before.

I spent Halloween night taking in Mystic River. I saw not a single person dressed in a Halloween costume.

Unfortunately, I spent the evening looking up finding aids at UT's Benson Latin American Collection. Not an altogether awful thing to do (assuming you're a librarian and all) but also not the best night of the year to do it. Also, I haven't been able to top my Sun Ra costume from three years ago so I've been less than thrilled about getting dolled up and going out on Halloween ever since. I'm kind of all-or-nothing when it comes to costumes. So......

186 kids.

Started at 5:30 and we turned off the lights at 8PM (no candy left).

We gave 2 little candy bars (fun size?) plus a handfull of kisses to each kid.

In the beginning, the kids were babies or little ones with their parents from the neighborhood. As it got closer to 8PM, the teenagers started to arrive.

The next morning, my wife noticed a bag with an empty egg carton in the driveway. She didn't see any egg shells.

It was a rainy night, so most of the kids got soaked. Some of the little kids try to come into the house after I give them candy. What's up with that? :rolleyes:

No kids came to our apartment, and none ever have. :tup I was never a big fan of Halloween, so that's alright by me.

I took my wife to an oral surgeon to have her wisdom teeth that afternoon, so she was pretty out of it for the rest of the day. She had general anesthesia there, and then 800mg Ibuprofen pills after that, so that was it for her for the rest of the day. We just watched the first season of "Alias" on DVD. Nothing too exciting...