Art Blakey Indestructible RVG

Jerry

I agree that Indestructible and Free for All are the standards for that JM era w/ Fuller. But I have to add my little plug for the Impulse record they cut. I think it's really good, and A La Mode is a minor classic.

I SECOND or THIRD that!!!! The Impulse is a surprise treat in the Messengers catalog.IMHO

"Free For All" is one of the great jazz albums of all time, don't know of many records by any artist that are so strong from beginning to end. (Thank goodness they didn't gum up the CD's with extra tracks.) Did Wayne Shorter ever record a better solo than on the title cut? But also very strong - "Ugetsu" - rarely mentioned, but the band was at its peak.

• 2 months later...

I just got this album. I can't believe that I not only didn't have it before, but I've never even heard it before!

It's fantastic! Right up there with "Free For All" (as many have already mentioned).

:tup:tup:tup from me. B-)

PS - What everyone else said about the Impulse album (and "A La Mode"), too.

I gave this one a spin last night while riding the exercise bike, and forgot how much I liked it. All the horns solo extremely well, everyone seems even more inspired than normal. Lee especially should be mentioned; his "fiery" playing (as Jim mentioned) is on display to its fullest here. Even his solo on the ballad is quite intense with lots of notes, but it still retains a certain probing lyricism, not unlike Brownie's ballad work, but it's still Lee all the way. I really dig Cedar Walton's playing on this album as well. Almost "McCoyish" in some of his solos, but he displays a unique concept, rooted in Bud Powell.

Love Cedar Walton's piano fills behind the unison front line on 'Sortie'. Just perfect !

Interesting to compare 'The Egyptian' with the other version on video with Morgan and John Gilmore, recorded in the UK.

'Mr Jin' of course is the total knockout blow to end the album. Shorter ups a gear on this one.

Interesting to compare 'The Egyptian' with the other version on video with Morgan and John Gilmore, recorded in the UK.

Even more interesting is the version that Curtis did on FIRE AND FILLIGRE for BeeHive. He replaces the original bridge with the one of "Sortie".

Kinda' wack, really...

Even more interesting is the version that Curtis did on FIRE AND FILLIGRE for BeeHive. He replaces the original bridge with the one of "Sortie".

Kinda' wack, really...

I have this LP and will dig it out from the 'archive'. It's a good one !