"The Dead" recommendations.....

Ed S

Over the past few years I've strayed from my jazz leanings to (what I think of as) a broader scope of music. For years, I've said to myself that I'd like to explore the music of the Grateful Dead, but have never really done so. But a recent development has prompted an acceleration of my Dead learning curve. As some of you may know - "The Dead" are touring this year and they are coming to my home town. I've decided that I'd like to go and the only other interested party in my home is my 14 year old son. So, I've sort of been propelled from thinking about checking out the Dead into actually doing it.

I know the music of the Dead and availability thereof is pretty complex. I really don't want to seek out boots or do downloads. What I'd like to know is that for two interested, but newbie Dead fans, are there any CD's that are absolutely must haves before I go to see the show with my son.

Any help appreciated

Edited by Ed Swinnich

I'm not a Deadhead, in fact I've been known to say fairly rude things about them and their fans, BUT Live/Dead is an extra-ordinary recorded artifact by any measure...essentially one long jam but not too long and with a v. high level of intuitive group interaction. For this I can live with hippy lyrics and seak singing. It may spoil you for other work by them (there are other live sets that compare but not many) and probably won't be much like what the remnants play now.

I agree...

Many here are waaaay more qualified,

so you should listen to them, but as a youngster,

"Live/Dead" was the only Dead I had until

it was stolen from me over 35 years ago.

Never bought another thing of theirs until a few years ago

when I picked up the 10 disc set of the Fillmore recordings

that includes this concert (I think it's out-of-print now).

It's the only Dead that I have, 'cause I've always found

them and their fans over(t)ly masturbatory...

...but, heh, I suppose after the viscidness disappears,

you'll probably wanna do it again, so...

®

Edited by rostasi

Live/Dead is a really good recording to start with. I love the Pigpen area. . . and the one that followed with the Godchauxs. After that. . . I check out. There's so much Dead out there!

Here's a few other recommendaitons:

Fallout from the Phil Zone

Wake of the Flood

American Beauty

Blues for Allah

Dick's Picks Vol. 30 (with Bo Diddley!)

Edited by jazzbo

The Dead are probably the most recorded band in history. They played a lot of 3-4 hour concerts for many years, and almost every concert during their prime years (late 60s-late 70s) was recorded professionally. I am not a big fan of what they recorded in the studio. I would recommend live recordings instead.

Live/Dead is indeed a fantastic representation of the late 60s "psychedelic" band. My own favorite period is 1972-1978. Some commercially available sets that capture them at their best are Steppin' Out With the Grateful Dead (1972), Dick's Picks 23 & 11 (1972), Dick's Picks 14 (1973), the Grateful Dead Movie Box Set (1974), Dick's Picks 3 (1977), the Closing of Winterland (1978).

If I had to pick one from 72-78, it would probably be the Grateful Dead Movie Box Set: 5 discs at a budget price in superb sound that capture them at their absolute peak. If you don't like the music on this one, you probably just don't like the Dead.

Of course, to appreciate the Dead, you have to be able to take the bitter with the sweet - you need to stomach the low moments and clunkers in order to appreciate the beauty of what they achieved during the high points. It is a great musical world once you successfully enter it.

Edited by John L

If you really want to be "cheap" you could check out half.com. . . there are some pretty inexpensive copies of items like "Skeletons in the Closet" or "Europe '72" and "Reckoning" that may or may not be the most recent masterings but for your purposes will let you hear a lot of music.

If you really want to be "cheap" you could check out half.com. . . there are some pretty inexpensive copies of items like "Skeletons in the Closet" or "Europe '72" and "Reckoning" that may or may not be the most recent masterings but for your purposes will let you hear a lot of music.

Ladies and Gentlemen the Grateful Dead (live 71 with Pig Pen)

Europe 72

Dicks Picks 1,14, 19 (from my favorite year the jazzy1973)

Dicks Picks 12, Grateful Dead Movie (can’t beat 74)

Dicks Picks 3 (77, considered by some to be their best year)

Dicks Picks 5, Reckoning (add a little Brent to the mix form 79 and as stated already the acoustic Reckoning from 80 is a must have)

I don’t own it but the So Many Roads Box set is a nice overview of live material, plus my friend wrote the liner notes.

Edited by WorldB3

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. Tickets went on sale this morning and I picked up a pair.

I know this version of the Dead won't quite be the same, but think I'm looking for some familiarity with their music and probably just as important the feel - which I'm guessing won't be too different. I do really dig Warren Haynes (who'll be handling the lead guitar) - both with the Allman Bros and Gov't Mule - so I'm looking forward to hearing him as well.

Q: What did one Deadhead say to another after he ran out of pot?

A: Man, this band sucks!

Q: How many Deadheads does it take to screw in a light bulb?

A: Deadheads don’t screw in light bulbs, they screw in Volkswagen Buses.

Q: How do you know when a Deadhead has broken up with his girlfriend?

A: He’s homeless.

Q: Where do you hide money from a Deadhead?

A: Under the soap.

These jokes are offered in the spirit of friendly ribbing.

If you are offended, listen to some Dead and chill out.

The only way to listen to the Dead is live. Their studio albums just don't get over. There's nothing quite like getting into one of their extended jams when it moves into truly jazz-like improvisational territory. While some Dick's Picks are certainly better than others, I can't say I have any that have disappointed me. Agree that post-Jerry the GD has little to offer, although I have some of Weir's Rat Dog live recordings that are pretty good,

Up over and out

Studio: Workingman's Dead, Garcia, and Mars Hotel

Live: DP from Feb '70 (can't remember which), Live/Dead ('69), Hundred Year Hall or DP-36 ('72), and Without A Net ('90)

and by all means go to archive.org and listen to streams of 5-8-77, 5-7-77, 5-9-77, and 7-8-78. or get a friend to get you CDRs of these

have fun, and then get busy with Zappa

I don’t own it but the So Many Roads Box set is a nice overview of live material, plus my friend wrote the liner notes.

I never really got the Grateful Dead until I bought that set - it's very focused on their jamming side (in some cases improvisations cut out of performances). There is some miraculous music here - moments when they are all playing the same tune but taking their own paths without it getting ragged. And you don't have to wait through the 'cowboy songs' (which I've come to quite like) to get to the instrumental wonders.

Of course, once you've heard this you want to hear what a whole concert sounds like. I'd agree with those who suggest the live discs - there are many to choose from.

I found this useful a few years back when trying to decide what to try:

http://www.blairjackson.com/jg_on_cd.htm

I imagine it's pretty out of date now - but should give some suggestions.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

Re: "The Dead": with or without Jerry, they're still going to be pulling from one of the most marvelous canons of music EVER. Say what you will about masturbation, long jams, whatever, whatever, blah, blah, blah. There's still no debating the fact that they simply wrote great songs, from the hippie-dippie rock of The Golden Road to the overblown-ness of Terrapin Station, there's no denying their ability to craft great music. Shit, even Foolish Heart is a great tune (though I don't recommend the poorly played studio version of it on Built to Last).

Re: which albums to pick up: there are magic moments on every live record, even Steal Your Face (if I found it for $2 used somewhere, that'd make the Casey Jones on there worthwhile). The Live/Dead era is great for its fire and wide eyed sense of adventure. The country rock era is great for the song craft. The "Grateful Dead Records" era (73-76) is great for the fantastic jamming material that came from that era. The Arista Years are plagued by great songs buried under bad performances. But great songs are still great songs. So, really, at the end of the day, the answer to the question of "what Dead to buy" is simple: EVERYTHING.

One way to hear a lot of great Dead for free is to go here: Live Music Archive

Enjoy.

I'm curious as to how safe these downloads are. Has anyone had problems with viruses, hijacked computers and the like?

I've got a Mac, so maybe not the best judge, but none of the audience recordings I downloaded from the Archive gave me any harm in any way. Loved listening to those on my iPod. Some of them are so well recorded that sometimes I'd be freaked out by someone starting to sing along, "seeming to be" just behind my right shoulder!

Edited by jazzbo