Just got laid off...

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes

Damn, man! Damn.

I haven't dealt with the Arizona Unemployment yet. I've been on a severance package and was told by the county office that I wouldn't be able to apply for unemployment pay till my severance package expired, which will be February 2009. I was laid of on August 1st, 2008. When was your date?

It looks like I'm down to drinking Old Milwaukee beer (cheap!).

Oh, wait... I was drinking it anyway. :lol:

Rumors over the weekend of more layoffs coming this week where I work. The TV station went dark last week when a pending sale blew up after an investor backed out at the last minute. The deal's toast, IMO. I believe the standard layoff package is about a month's notice followed by a lump sum severance equal to two weeks pay for every year you've put in, to a maximum of 6 months pay, which I'd qualify for. A bit of a cushion, but not much.

The aged security guard says (with spit flying in all directions) that our only way out of this mess is to blow up the entire country and start over. Literally. :crazy: ... and he's the one guarding us! :ph34r:

The ax fell again Tuesday. I survived, as does a certain amount of guilt. I do have the general sense that things may be about to turn. Nothing I can hang my hat on, just a reading of the overall tone of things. I am confident people want to do business, they're just waiting for balance sheets to stabilize to begin moving forward again. So folks shouldn't think opportunities won't emerge. They will.

Easy for me to say, though, I guess. :(

Holy cows

600K people lost their jobs last month

The only people with new jobs is the unemployment office

you folks are the extreme cream of the crop and are very adaptable.

... am thinking that perhaps the way we have all lived is pretty much gone forever.

... have had some very trying financial matters during my life, but conditions were never this bad.

... optimistic that each of you will succeed.

those of us who appear to have sufficient, though meager, resources cant be sure whether the funds we seem to have are safely and wisely invested or whether inflation might do us all in.

... am thinking that perhaps the way we have all lived is pretty much gone forever.

I'm beginning to think that (including the 'perhaps'; no certainy here!) as well. Everyone's talking about a stimulus package to get things going again until the economy recovers, but I don't know if the levels of consumerism we were used to will return or not. Or for that matter, whether it should.

I'm beginning to think that (including the 'perhaps'; no certainy here!) as well. Everyone's talking about a stimulus package to get things going again until the economy recovers, but I don't know if the levels of consumerism we were used to will return or not. Or for that matter, whether it should.

Well, what are we talking about here? The way "we" lived, or the way "they" lived? ... And by "they," I mean crooked money managers, real estate flippers, dot-com visionaries, and those who preferred hard "assets" (now maybe worthless) and debt over cash.

I believe when things turn, we will (by definition) be headed in a different direction -- one where jobs are being created again instead of lost, one where people are doing business with one another again. Always darkest before the dawn, and all that.

We're learning now that a lot of the wealth that was created in this country was an illusion -- literally. We never were living as well as we thought we were. Our homes aren't worth as much as we thought they were. Our retirement and stock portfolios certainly aren't worth as much as we thought. But once jobs begin appearing again, people will resume buying homes, and cars, and going to restaurants, and on vacations. The market will begin moving up again. Our houses will be appreciating again (eventually).

Edited by papsrus

But once jobs begin appearing again, people will resume buying homes, and cars, and going to restaurants, and on vacations. The market will begin moving up again. Our houses will be appreciating again (eventually).

I'm not so confident of that. Yeah, people will still buy homes. And cars, but perhaps not as often. And furniture, but maybe that couch can last another five years. It just seems to me that more and more people in there thirties sound like my grandparents did. Stuffing money in a safe at home because the don't trust the banks, unwilling to make large purchases because 'something' might happen. Mind you, I'm not as convinced as some that this is a bad thing; out of control consumerism just didn't seem that healthy to me.

Well, today is hopefully the first day of something different. The Loan Modifications didn't work out but the boss isn't giving up. He decided that people need the discipline of working in an office, waiting in their cube for the next lead to come in. Plus he brought in a partner who will foot the bill for leads - $3000 a week, and all "hot" internet generated leads (people fill out a form at a website, it goes to your email instantly, but the lead isn't exclusive, it goes to some other guy's box, too).

The folks Marty hires are getting $400 a deal, but since I was with him from the start, he's keeping me at $500. Another advantage of sticking it out is that Marty is an incredible salesman, and he will be right there to do "T.O.s" (Take Overs) if I have someone who needs one more nudge to sign on. Another reason I want to continue is that, if the business gets off the ground and generates 10+ contracts a week, Marty will hire my wife and pay her a decent salary to handle the flow of paperwork that has to go to the lawyer. So I head down to Hollywood FL about 9 AM, work there til about 4 pm.

But since I have no guarantees, I am also starting another job at 4:30, this one a little further north so my drive home won't be so bad. Goes until 11 PM, which means absolutely killer hours as long as I hang in and do both. Selling extended auto warranties, inbound call center. Tiny hourly wage but they don't want you there watching the clock, as you get deals, your commission increases until after the 15th deal, all contracts pay $125, and that is retroactive to your earlier deals. Based on prior experience, I don't expect to be number one in the office (who made $2000 last week) but I do expect to be in top 25% at the worst, which should be a $1000+ check.

What I like about these two businesses is that it seems to me they are favored in the current climate. The demand for loan mods will only increase, and like Mark said, people buy fewer cars, they need to keep their cars on the road longer, and a good warranty helps them do that.

So we'll see what happens - ideally, both these jobs are profitable, in which case I'll try to work both as long as I can handle the hours, just to restore the bank balance and build up some savings. Or at least one of them will be worthwhile and after a couple of weeks I'll quit the other one and concentrate on the good one.

Well, today is hopefully the first day of something different. The Loan Modifications didn't work out but the boss isn't giving up. He decided that people need the discipline of working in an office, waiting in their cube for the next lead to come in. Plus he brought in a partner who will foot the bill for leads - $3000 a week, and all "hot" internet generated leads (people fill out a form at a website, it goes to your email instantly, but the lead isn't exclusive, it goes to some other guy's box, too).

The folks Marty hires are getting $400 a deal, but since I was with him from the start, he's keeping me at $500. Another advantage of sticking it out is that Marty is an incredible salesman, and he will be right there to do "T.O.s" (Take Overs) if I have someone who needs one more nudge to sign on. Another reason I want to continue is that, if the business gets off the ground and generates 10+ contracts a week, Marty will hire my wife and pay her a decent salary to handle the flow of paperwork that has to go to the lawyer. So I head down to Hollywood FL about 9 AM, work there til about 4 pm.

But since I have no guarantees, I am also starting another job at 4:30, this one a little further north so my drive home won't be so bad. Goes until 11 PM, which means absolutely killer hours as long as I hang in and do both. Selling extended auto warranties, inbound call center. Tiny hourly wage but they don't want you there watching the clock, as you get deals, your commission increases until after the 15th deal, all contracts pay $125, and that is retroactive to your earlier deals. Based on prior experience, I don't expect to be number one in the office (who made $2000 last week) but I do expect to be in top 25% at the worst, which should be a $1000+ check.

What I like about these two businesses is that it seems to me they are favored in the current climate. The demand for loan mods will only increase, and like Mark said, people buy fewer cars, they need to keep their cars on the road longer, and a good warranty helps them do that.

So we'll see what happens - ideally, both these jobs are profitable, in which case I'll try to work both as long as I can handle the hours, just to restore the bank balance and build up some savings. Or at least one of them will be worthwhile and after a couple of weeks I'll quit the other one and concentrate on the good one.

Seriously pro-active there Dan, well done, you clearly know your industry well, hopefully you can at least listen to some tunes on your many commutes, good luck.