Just got laid off...

I was laid off from my job of 12 years last August. August 1st, 2008 was the day my former employer and I parted ways.

I felt guilty as hell, as if I'd done something wrong. Which is really and completely bullshit thinking. I was not a party in the decision process of my employer or the United States government. What happened is what happened. And I never thought it would happen to me. Couldn't happen to me. No, never.

Feck.

Feck me.

And feck me again.

I received a six month severance package because I worked for the company for 12 years. Because of my very low cost of living I will be able to stretch the six month package to about twelve months. With the severance package and my personal savings I believe I have enough money to maintain my life for the next four years. I'm hopeful I won't need four years of savings before my next source of income finds its way to me.

I went back to school at the University of Arizona last semester to get some refresher courses. I have a B.S. in Accounting that I've never used so the refresher courses were a smart choice.

I haven't had a job interview for more than 12 years. I pulled my old business/interview suit out of my closet and learned it's now too small. I mentioned my suit situation to my parents and my Dad said, "You can have my old interview suit." This sounded bad to me. However, my Dad's old interview suit was used one time by him and it's been hanging in his closet for the last 20 years. Since my body shape resembles my Dad's almost perfectly, hey, I got a new interview suit for free.

Now, school's out and I'm out of work. Living, for now, on the remains of a severance package and my personal savings. And I have my Dad's interview suit. The problem, I don't know if I can get or survive an interview.

I mean, WT effing F? You know?

Edited by wesbed

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been out of work now for over two years and it sucks! I bit the bullet and have gone back to school. Now I am in my third semester of nursing school with one more semester left after this one. I've incurred quite a bit of debt. Now I am wondering how long my wife's job will last. I am also wondering if there will be a job for me when I get out.

There is usually an entire section in the classifieds (at least in the Plain Dealer) that is specifically directed towards this kind talent because the demand for nurses is so high. My estimation is that you should not have too much trouble landing a job upon graduation. Good luck nonetheless!

My heart goes out to everyone in this situation. Times are tough and that's no joke. My wife has gone back to work part-time to help with our financial difficulties. The piano business is a good business, but it's a luxury service and things have been very slow. Gigs are getting hard to come by, as well.

The good news, as I think I posted here before, is that the Cyclotron Lab at MSU just got a huge grant from the government. I used to work there, so I'm sure if things get really bad I can go back to work there. I'm also starting to assist at a local recording studio, which helps offset the lack of gigs and tunings.

Shawn, you've mentioned several times whether it's "all worth it". I hope you're seeking some help for depression. Money really doesn't matter. Tell the creditors to go fuck themselves. What's the worse that happens? You file for bankruptcy and life goes on. Life is all you have, money comes and goes.

My dad always used to say "Where there's a will, there's a way!" We went through some very tough times when I was a kid. We never had a lot of money and had hospitals calling all the time (I think my dad finally paid off the bill for my littlest sister's birth when she was 18!) Somehow we made it through. I guarantee things will work out!

And if all else fails, you can come up to Michigan and be our road manager! :) There's no money, but you can hang out with the Alfredsons and we've got a guest bedroom! :)

I've been out of work now for over two years and it sucks! I bit the bullet and have gone back to school. Now I am in my third semester of nursing school with one more semester left after this one. I've incurred quite a bit of debt. Now I am wondering how long my wife's job will last. I am also wondering if there will be a job for me when I get out.

There is usually an entire section in the classifieds (at least in the Plain Dealer) that is specifically directed towards this kind talent because the demand for nurses is so high. My estimation is that you should not have too much trouble landing a job upon graduation. Good luck nonetheless!

Yes, I had thought that nursing is one profession where finding work wouldn't be too difficult (and well-paid, too). Come to Florida. You'll get a job. In the winter when the snowbirds arrive, there are nurses who come down from other parts of the country and Canada to work in the hospitals on temporary or seasonal basis.

Edited by papsrus

My heart goes out to all who've lost jobs. Someone I know lost their job this week and I worry about a very good friend's job situation. I think that Jim A's advice - a couple of posts earlier - is something to be heeded. Try and keep your spirits up, keep in touch with others, and try and throw off the worry - easy to say, I know. And remember you're not alone.

Sorry to read this, trane-fanatic. Working in a relatively secure profession (though who knows!) I've never had to face these sort of fears. Hope you get something in the near future.

What astounds me is the 5 mins to clear your desk' stuff. Where's the humanity in that? Seems like pure management cowardice, unwilling to face up to the human consequences of their decisions (economically necessary or not).

And to think we in the public sector are being constantly told to emulate the methods of the private sector!

What astounds me is the 5 mins to clear your desk' stuff. Where's the humanity in that? Seems like pure management cowardice, unwilling to face up to the human consequences of their decisions (economically necessary or not).

When I attended my 'layoff meeting,' the company reserved a conference room at one of the local hotels by the airport. At the back of the room they had cookies, little cakes, sodas and coffee for us.

I worked for a software company. I thought the meeting was an introduction of a new support model or a new piece of software the company had developed. Yikes! Within minutes, after we'd all settled down with our coffee and cookies, the man with the suit & tie at the front of the room let us know we were being laid off, a reduction in force (or RIF) he called it. Enjoy your coffee and cookies, ladies & gentlemen, because it's the last you'll get from us.

Our jobs either went to India or simply went away.

I did get a severance package. Still, it was just two days prior that the company was filling our asses with blue smoke saying, "Employees are the lifeblood of our business, our greatest asset." Then, "You're laid off, GTFO."

After 12 years of employment with the company. And the coffee wasn't even good.

Edited by wesbed

And to think we in the public sector are being constantly told to emulate the methods of the private sector!

Well, this originated in certain professions where it would be particularly easy to steal key information and/or client lists if you had all day to clean out your cubicle. (Or release a virus in a handful of extreme cases.) But it does seem spectacularly useless given that most people take laptops home, back-up email (and take it home), and in general giving them short notice just makes their lives miserable to no end. That said, it would take a solid day to pack up my desk, esp. trying to separate out which files are personal and which belong to the company. Then my bookcase of books and drawer full of CDs! I wouldn't mind having someone do the packing for me.

Shawn, you've mentioned several times whether it's "all worth it". I hope you're seeking some help for depression. Money really doesn't matter. Tell the creditors to go fuck themselves. What's the worse that happens? You file for bankruptcy and life goes on. Life is all you have, money comes and goes.

Shawn, what Jim said. Tell the creditors to fuck off. Tell them you will only communicate with them in writing. Don't answer the phone if you don't know the number(assuming you have caller ID)There are no debtor's prisons any more, and from someone that's been there, Bankruptcy is not the end of the world by any stretch. In fact, it was a huge burden lifted off my back once I finally faced reality, and made the decision.

Thanks for all the kind words and advice, it is much appreciated. This board has always felt like an extended online family and it's nice to know that there are people out there who care.

I am planning on doing some volunteer work, there are plenty of opportunities for that in Austin.

I can only echo what Conrad said. I made a decision to pursue a bankruptcy filing pretty quickly once it became obvious that was the logical course of action, so it wasn't that long between harassing calls and when I could say "talk to my lawyer", but I had no trouble ignoring the people that called. I'll be discharged in the middle of February and as long as I make enough to keep the mortgage covered, we'll be OK.

And I have good hope we can do that, as I've started telemarketing for Loan Modifications, which is a growth industry to say the least.

When I attended my 'layoff meeting,' the company reserved a conference room at one of the local hotels by the airport. At the back of the room they had cookies, little cakes, sodas and coffee for us.

I worked for a software company. I thought the meeting was an introduction of a new support model or a new piece of software the company had developed. Yikes! Within minutes, after we'd all settled down with our coffee and cookies, the man with the suit & tie at the front of the room let us know we were being laid off, a reduction in force (or RIF) he called it. Enjoy your coffee and cookies, ladies & gentlemen, because it's the last you'll get from us.

Our jobs either went to India or simply went away.

I did get a severance package. Still, it was just two days prior that the company was filling our asses with blue smoke saying, "Employees are the lifeblood of our business, our greatest asset." Then, "You're laid off, GTFO."

After 12 years of employment with the company. And the coffee wasn't even good.

Damn! Sorry to hear the news, Wes. Glad to see you post on the board again.

I can only echo what Conrad said. I made a decision to pursue a bankruptcy filing pretty quickly once it became obvious that was the logical course of action, so it wasn't that long between harassing calls and when I could say "talk to my lawyer", but I had no trouble ignoring the people that called. I'll be discharged in the middle of February and as long as I make enough to keep the mortgage covered, we'll be OK.

And I have good hope we can do that, as I've started telemarketing for Loan Modifications, which is a growth industry to say the least.

Good luck, Dan!

Yes, I had thought that nursing is one profession where finding work wouldn't be too difficult (and well-paid, too). Come to Florida. You'll get a job. In the winter when the snowbirds arrive, there are nurses who come down from other parts of the country and Canada to work in the hospitals on temporary or seasonal basis.

There is a nursing shortage nearly EVERYWHERE in the US but it is especially high in Florida. You'll get a gig, don't worry.

There is a nursing shortage nearly EVERYWHERE in the US but it is especially high in Florida. You'll get a gig, don't worry.

I think you guys are right, but I cannot move anywhere. I couldn't sell my house in this economically-depressed part of Ohio. I'm stuck! Got to hope the job market for nurses will exist by the end of the year when I'm done.

btw, nursing is one of those professions I have the utmost respect for. This is stating the obvious, but anyone who has had someone close to them very ill and hospitalized knows it's the nurses who are the primary care givers, first responders, think-on-their-feet live savers. It's not a job I could do.

Got to hope the job market for nurses will exist by the end of the year when I'm done.

I think you're pretty safe; I had an article about the last time there was no shortage of nurses, but I threw out all of my chiseled stone publications a few years ago... ;)

I guess misery loves company, because it's encouraging to see that I'm not the only one coping with tough times. Luckily, I haven't been laid off, although I'm down to thirty hours a week on the job. Still, better a crappy paycheck than no paycheck at all.

As for the depression stuff, that's even scarier, since a job disappearing probably means your healthcare is disappearing as well. In order to cut corners, I went off my meds about four months ago. I don't recommend this at all, but as it turns out, I'm somewhat better than I was back when I went on the meds, and they weren't doing that much anyway. I can hold it together for long enough to do my job, anyway. However, if I don't get a cat soon...

(After rereading this post, I guess saying I don't recommend dropping your meds is kind of obvious...)

guess i should be more thankful for my sequence of three month contracts... plus the money is not for research anymore but for doing all sorts of other stuff; last week i had appointments with two of the top thirty mathematicians in the world... with one i discussed how to fit his stuff into only 200 boxes and then into his tiny new office, with the other i discussed the color of his new furniture...(we ended up choosing a somewhat darker grey than what the company had suggested) (not that there was anything else i'd rather talk to with heavy guys like these); don't know, at least i managed to feel better the last five or six weeks though nothing has improved on the outside; wishing the two of you and anyone else here all the best (and i did think of you, shawn, when you said you had your interviews... didn't help apparently, but i will continue to do so, just drop us a note! :) )

As for the depression stuff, that's even scarier, since a job disappearing probably means your healthcare is disappearing as well. In order to cut corners, I went off my meds about four months ago. I don't recommend this at all, but as it turns out, I'm somewhat better than I was back when I went on the meds, and they weren't doing that much anyway. I can hold it together for long enough to do my job, anyway. However, if I don't get a cat soon...

(After rereading this post, I guess saying I don't recommend dropping your meds is kind of obvious...)

I haven't had insurance for awhile now, the only saving factor for me is that my medication is available in generic form, so it costs me about $45 a month.

My last seven or eight years of state employment the agency became more and more governed by politics and I feared I would be laid off. . . especially when I was in HR processing out 40% of the agency, many persons I'd worked with in excess of twelve years. If I had not managed a transfer to another division and a series of jobs I liked less and less I WOULD have been laid off; ultimately all the HR staff I left behind were no longer there within a year.

I hung on by hook or crook, and through two years of my wife's terminal illness, til I was able to retire, fearing that the awful management of my agency would find some way to 'f me out of my retirement. If my wife and I hadn't spent a lot of money to buy some years and move my retirement date forward, I am sure I would have been. The last position which was suddenly lorded over by an urban cowboy arrogant mofo of a deputy executive director was very scary and shakey.

Thank God I'm free of that anxiety now. For nine months now I've been retired, and I am beginning to feel the itch to do something for money and accomplishment, but have no idea and the market is certainly not encouraging. Luckily I have resources and don't have to earn money right now, I'm even able to help others less fortunate as I did this week.

It's always darkest before the dawn, right? I hope dawn is on the horizon for many of us. . . .

Education is SUPPOSED to be a secure profession. Everybody needs teachers, right?

Well, not where I live. New York's Capital District is one of the few places where there are TOO MANY teachers. This area has no less than FIVE colleges with teaching programs which churn out a new crop of fully certified and qualified teachers every year like clockwork. The competition for jobs here is insane. Last fall, I interviewed for a part-time position. The principal I spoke with told me that he went through hundreds of applications for a job that usually brings in only twenty or thirty applicants. I was actually kind of flattered that I had even made the cut for an interview, given those odds. He said, however, that at the moment the odds are against me. English and Social Studies are not in high demand right now (Special Education, Math, Science, and Technology are the money disciplines) and since many districts are facing budget cuts, very few new positions are opening up. And, once again, since there are so many people applying for those few jobs, the odds of getting one are very slim indeed.

So basically, my options are as follows: Move to a part of the country where they need teachers. New York City is always in need, as are many southern states. I've been told that if I were to apply to districts in North Carolina, Virginia, etc with my NYS certification, I would have a very easy time of it. Moving is more of an option than it used to be, since I'm separating from my wife, but I really don't want to be far away from my daughter.

My other option is: Do something else. Unfortunately, I went into teaching because I was having trouble finding a job doing anything else!

My employer has announced 3000 layoffs worldwide in the coming year; no one knows where the axe will all. Fingers crossed.

Are you employed at SAP?

Yes, as of last year when they swallowed up the company I've been at for the last ten years. This is one of those maddening situations: we saved their bacon and simultaneously endangered their stock. Our company, that SAP bought, buoyed SAP's 2008 turnover significantly. Without the acquisition they would have had a much worse year in terms of sales. However, since we had been operating with a lower profit margin than SAP's (which is very high), the acquisition mechanically lowered SAP's margin--which is bad for the stock price. That and the present crisis triggered the layoffs.