Just got laid off...

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the auto warranty job lasted a little less than three hours. Honestly, it was so sleazy I couldn't stomach it, shook the bosses hand and left. If any of you get a call from the "Warranty Service Center", hang up quick! And that goes double for my UK friends - these people are hiring Brits in south Florida because they are about to start selling in the UK! Beware!!!

It was relatively easy to walk out on these people because I had a good day on the Loan Mods. No deals yet, but the boss made a policy change that should make it easier to close people, and realizing that he will be available anytime to take over my call and get me a deal gives me every reason to believe that its only a matter of time before I start writing business, and plenty of it. :)

Well, the auto warranty job lasted a little less than three hours. Honestly, it was so sleazy I couldn't stomach it, shook the bosses hand and left. If any of you get a call from the "Warranty Service Center", hang up quick! And that goes double for my UK friends - these people are hiring Brits in south Florida because they are about to start selling in the UK! Beware!!!

It was relatively easy to walk out on these people because I had a good day on the Loan Mods. No deals yet, but the boss made a policy change that should make it easier to close people, and realizing that he will be available anytime to take over my call and get me a deal gives me every reason to believe that its only a matter of time before I start writing business, and plenty of it. :)

I periodically get a recorded call on my cell phone, of all things, telling me the factory warranty on my '93 Miata (which I bought used many moons ago) is about to expire. ... I often wonder if this is just a shotgun operation designed to troll among the elderly.

Well, since my first reaction to your original post on the subject was to wince at the number of hours, with an extra commute inbetween, I can't say that sounds like such a bad development, Dan! I've had jobs where I worked 60-70 hours a week, but I've never managed to pull off that 'two jobs at once' thing, and hope I never have to do so!

I periodically get a recorded call on my cell phone, of all things, telling me the factory warranty on my '93 Miata (which I bought used many moons ago) is about to expire. ... I often wonder if this is just a shotgun operation designed to troll among the elderly.

Not entirely sure if that's the point but it may be the result. In the brief time I was being "trained" you could tell that more elderly people will get a pre-recorded message and its almost as if they feel obligated to press 1 and wait for a live person. Most of the younger voices were the ones willing to wait on hold to say some variation of "screw you" (which I can't comprehend - I get a robo-call, I hang up FAST). But the guy who was training me explained that their motto is "Hang Up - Next" meaning, if they say anything other than the make and model of a vehicle, hang up and take the next call. The company pays no attention to Do Not Call, and they don't give anyone the opportunity to get their name removed because they are hanging up on anyone who doesn't give them the make and model of their car. Even people who responded to the question with "which vehicle?" got hung up on. I have to admit though the one time I laughed out loud was when the guy responded "don't hang up on me" just as the telemarketer was doing just that.

But the scummyness of the company came through in the first part of the pitch - "We are the administrators of all warranties for (fill in the make)." Plus calling themselves by the generic "Warranty Service Center" and telling people that's the name of the company is flat out lying. There's no real selling involved - the top performers simply put in enough hours to find enough "lay-downs" to get the sales. And worst of all, you're told that once you get an affirmative answer to the question "which down payment - $450, $550 or $650 - do you think would be most comfortable for you today?" you put them on hold and a supervisor takes over to explain to them what their monthly payments would be. The problem is, that ain't a true close question, and none of your sales are sold unless the supervisor gets through his spiel without losing them. And that's before they take payment information and hope their credit card can hold the charge. So I saw three deals get to the supervisor, and none of them closed.

Well I do not want to jinx anything, but after 6 days on the phones, I have three deals pending, two of which are confirmed for check pick ups by the end of the week, and I got two more apps today that the lawyer should approve, and that was off of only three new leads. For a guy with almost nothing in the bank and a mortgage payment due in a week, I feel surprisingly good that I am well on the way toward a measure of financial stability/security.

Well, I have a one day gig tomorrow in San Antonio doing one of the Chase branch closures. There is a good chance more of these assignments will be available next week (and hopefully here in Austin). But, beggars can't be choosers so it's a 70 mile commute tomorrow morning. Better than nothing.

Well, I have a one day gig tomorrow in San Antonio doing one of the Chase branch closures. There is a good chance more of these assignments will be available next week (and hopefully here in Austin). But, beggars can't be choosers so it's a 70 mile commute tomorrow morning. Better than nothing.

You'll be able to listen to some music on the commute! :P

Well, I guess the deterioration of our economy creates some work as well, just as the deterioration of a life form creates energy.

Well, I guess the deterioration of our economy creates some work as well, just as the deterioration of a life form creates energy.

I was discussing with someone just yesterday how the only two kinds of businesses that are still doing relatively well are those that are selling really expensive stuff, and those that are selling really inexpensive stuff.

Well, folks that own Miata's are often old. ^_^

Just read what seemed to me to be a pretty useless "Ten things to do if you get laid off" list. But, the one thing that jumped out me was this: never sign anything right away. Take the paperwork home and go over it, with an attorney, if you can. Apparently there's usually some wiggle room for negotiating a better severance package -- things like extending health insurance coverage.

"What a difference a day made"

I'll be listening to Irene Reid's version of this when I get home, as, to quote a more recent pop song, "I'm walkin' on sunshine". :g

After seemingly having two of my deals go into Witness Protection, I came into the office feeling like this may not work out, I had issues with the boss ... and then he tells me he's got two of my deals for confirmed FedEx pickups, and now 5 hours later I have four checks to pick up on Monday. Maybe a couple fall off but this is a great day and now I know things are going to be good.