The last days of Circuit City

I just came back home from a trip to my nearest Circuit City (Broadway and 80th, NYC). Not too many customers there and it looked less ravaged than I had expected. Yes, they were sold out on some digital cameras, but there were plenty of flat screens, DVD players, lap computers, etc. 20% off that store's prices is no big deal when one can order the same merchandise online, no tax and free shipping. Only good price I found was on ink cartridges for my new Kodak printer, but even there the saving was nothing to write home about.

Sorry to see them go, however.

I just came back home from a trip to my nearest Circuit City (Broadway and 80th, NYC). Not too many customers there and it looked less ravaged than I had expected. Yes, they were sold out on some digital cameras, but there were plenty of flat screens, DVD players, lap computers, etc. 20% off that store's prices is no big deal when one can order the same merchandise online, no tax and free shipping. Only good price I found was on ink cartridges for my new Kodak printer, but even there the saving was nothing to write home about.

It's a old retailer's trick: raise the prices 20% and then give 20% off.

This is not "Circuit City" any more. Anything that's happening there is being done by the liquidation company. There are several big ones out there that do this for store after store. They are not even aware of what the store sold stuff for in the past - it's all about "it lists for". 20, 30, 40 even 50% of list on some items is more than what the same store was selling the item for before the liquidator bought them. Liquidators don't consider "last year's model" either.

Do yourself a favor and stay out of these "Going Out Of Business" sales. You'll never get a great deal and you're SOL (Shit Outta Luck) if the item dies later.

It sucks to see this happening. CC is headquartered in Richmond, VA. My hometown. Lots of people affected.

I really don't understand why they aren't slashing prices. My wife and sister-in-law stopped in to one last weekend and it was basically business as usual.

It's a big deal in Richmond- I know a few people affected.

Friends of ours live in a subdivision where lots of homes are owned by Circuit City people who worked in the corporate headquarters.

Looking back- they did some bonehead moves.

Sad actually. :(

Thanks for the translation of SOL. :)

Guess I've been conversing with a few too many non-English speaking people lately. I have been finding myself doing these little explanations more often... might be all the phone calls to China. You find yourself speaking like you're in first grade. :)

First grade (that's in elementary school).

Jeez. Engulf & Devour struck again?.

More likely people are shopping from home---ironically perhaps sitting at the very computers Circuit City may have sold 'em-----IF they're shopping at all. Everybody I know and see in the USA now are waiting to see Obama's next move before even peeing, so......

Yeah, put me down in the sympathy column. They weren't bad folks, as corporates go. I can't complain about the prices and deals I got.

Tsk, tsk.

One thing I never understood when I went into Circuit City was that they didn't have an electronic (or any) inventory of their CDs/DVDs.

And what they did have in stock wasn't maintained or organized very well, which made looking for something a crapshoot. And then if you asked them to help you find it, they couldn't even check to see if it was something they stocked in the first place.

I went there yesterday to try to find an mp3 player for my daughter's birthday. They've never had great selection to begin with, but it still ended up being a waste of time.

They never seemed willing or able to upgrade to the latest technology as far as POS or online inventory goes. Their registers/monitors looked like they were left over from the early 90's, and their credit card signature pads were the same ones they've been using since they first opened around here..... back in the early 90's!

Sad to see them go, but surprised they lasted this long.