Music Surprises in Public Places

rostasi

A family member wanted to go to "Macaroni Grill" to celebrate a birthday tonight.

In the middle of long bouts of bellowing baritones and shrieking sopranos,

suddenly I hear "Mambo Italiano" - done not by Rosemary Clooney

or someone else relatively well-known - but by Alma Cogan!

I was so taken aback that I completely lost my train of thought and mentioned

this to my sweetheart. I then heard, "The other night, you didn't know

that it was Pearl Jam and tonight you recognize Alma whatshername?"

Anyway, do any of you have any stories of hearing the VERY unexpected song in a public place?

®

Edited by rostasi

Couple of recent surprises:

1) I was at an art gallery opening, and they were playing a Charlie Parker CD. I hadn't really noticed the music (wasn't playing very loud), but all of a sudden, holy shit, Blues for Alice!

2) Even more surprisingly, a home goods/furnishings store was playing a tune from Stan Getz's People Time album. Didn't stick around long enough to see if they were spinning a whole disc, but I seriously doubt it was radio. Not a really common album, either...

It doesn't surprise me what I hear in a store or restaurant these days because they all subscribe to MUZAK or another service that has many channels that they steam, including a variety of jazz channels.

So it's that you just got lucky, not that you came upon some underground hip store manager.

Couple of recent surprises:

1) I was at an art gallery opening, and they were playing a Charlie Parker CD. I hadn't really noticed the music (wasn't playing very loud), but all of a sudden, holy shit, Blues for Alice!

2) Even more surprisingly, a home goods/furnishings store was playing a tune from Stan Getz's People Time album. Didn't stick around long enough to see if they were spinning a whole disc, but I seriously doubt it was radio. Not a really common album, either...

Now that last one is pretty startling.

Actually, we were in the Fog City Diner recently and heard a classic Blue Note hardbop track. I couldn't place exactly what it was, but it was very familiar. I said, "Hey, I've got this." My wife replied, "I know. I've heard you play it." Considering the venue it wasn't too surprising though.

At the old Sam the Record Man store at 347 Yonge St. in Toronto (a great store in its day) there were 3 floors - the 1st floor had rock and country and the cashiers; 2nd floor - jazz and classical; 3rd floor, I think, had sale items and concert ticket sales. When you came in at ground level, they were always playing rock music at an ear-splitting level. I don't know how anyone could have worked on that floor. You could hardly speak to any of the check-out clerks. If you were a jazz or classical fan, you raced for the stairs to get to the 2nd floor as quickly as possible. One day, and this would be around 1979 or 1980, I walked in the front door and to my absolute amazement, they were playing the Bill Evans Trio throughout the whole store - 1st floor included. It was truly beautiful, like I had walked into musical heaven. I was never so proud to be a jazz fan as I was that day.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Cutting through Talbots (a women's clothing store) to get to the mall, and Dave Brubeck (with Paul Desmond) was playing. I asked the employees behind the desk if they knew who it was and neither one had a clue. This is the second time that they've had jazz playing there, the first time was Joe Henderson! :blink: