K2s -- which ones?

Alec

All (yes, all) of the Monk K2's are significant upgrades, but, as Chuck mentions, Monk's Music is of particular importance. There's a long discussion here (somewhere) explaining why.

The Bill Evans K2's are great, and Art Pepper's +11 as a K2 is also great.

At $5.99, especially if you don't already have the music, they're probably all worth owning.

As mentionned, the "Monk's Music" is special, because it's actually a different recording of the same session, using different microphones, and in mono.

I don't agree with the "Incredible Jazz guitar" recomendation, as this recording sounds poor on all digital reissues. The tapes are defective.

Apart from that one, most K2s are worth getting, especially at that price. But because most of the OJCs already sound very good, the sonic upgrade is not always significant.

You should not focus on the process or technology itself, which is secondary for the mastering quality. "K2" is one of those typical japanese marketing ideas.

http://www.jvc-victor.co.jp/english/produc...igitalk2-e.html

The sound quality of a remastering depends on who did it and what tape sources are available to him. The OJC K2 remasters were all done by the same team (supervised by Tamaki Beck of JVC), that's why the mastering quality is consistent.

For other mastering engineers doing "K2" remasters for other labels, the results may be entirely different.

Edited by Claude

You should not focus on the process or technology itself, which is secondary for the mastering quality. "K2" is one of those typical japanese marketing ideas.

http://www.jvc-victor.co.jp/english/produc...igitalk2-e.html

The sound quality of a remastering depends on who did it and what tape sources are available to him. The OJC K2 remasters were all done by the same team (supervised by Tamaki Beck of JVC), that's why the mastering quality is consistent.

For other mastering engineers doing "K2" remasters for other labels, the results may be entirely different.

Thanks. I was not sure whether it was the specific OJC remasters or something about the K2 that is special

At $5.99, especially if you don't already have the music, they're probably all worth owning.

yes, that's a very good price for K2s. but very, very good. i would go for Monk's and Bill Evans' albums and particularly Monk's Music (which i don't have) would be a good choice. i would like to have it as a K2 and would jump at it if i could get it at that price. and Art Pepper's +11 would also be very recommendable.

but weren't all (existing) K2s the same? i might be mistaken, but the Concord K2s (the ones in the cardboard box containing the jewel case) are the same remasters JVC used. at least i thought so. maybe it's not that way... i don't know were i got that from but i think it was a trustful source.

i got the 3cd box of the 25 june 1961 village vanguard concert by bill evans and it's fabulous. and it sounds great.

i gave the OJCs of Live at the Village Vanguard and Waltz for Debby to a friend, although they also sound good. but it's a duplication of the material.

Edited by Bluesnik

Yes, yes, yes, grab'em. I know not everyone here's a fan, but I really like this series. The Contemporary dates sound pretty good as well as the Prestige dates. Most of 'em just jump out at you, while some don't, like some of the Riversides; but you still can't go worng when they are this cheap.

Don't pass up this deal :cool: