Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

Parker/Akchoté/Casserley/Ryan Live at les instants chavires (Leo)

I thought this one was quite weak. There should be my sort-of-review somewhere up wen we discussed Evan Parker - a couple of dozen pages above.

Don't know the Silva thing. What reissue is that? - if ZYX I would sugest you skip it, as they have dreadful remastering.

Not sure, it says ESP (NL), thus I'd say Calibre?

AMG says the Parker is very good, but I'm not sure from their comments that it's one for me...

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Mori/Parkins is great, by the way!

glad you enjoyed it!

another fairly recent purchase of mine was John Butcher & Toshimaru Nakamura's Cavern with Nightlife. This disc is mostly solo sax from Butcher, with one live duo track tacked on at the end. From DMGs newsletter: "The four pieces for solo sax were recorded in the Oya Stone Museum in Japan, formerly a huge mining space hollowed out by 70 years of quarrying. The space adds an immense resonance to John's breathtaking sax explorations. John often repeats a phrase over and over, slowly accentuating certain notes and twisting them into odd shapes, often circular breathing to keep the flow."

I don't know about "immense" resonance, but the sound is very nice. This is my first exposure to Butcher on solo sax and it is very impressive. I'm still not sure how much I would recommend this disc to others who weren't already fans of Butcher's, that will take a few more listens, but, for my own enjoyment, I'm really very glad I got this disc.

another fairly recent purchase of mine was John Butcher & Toshimaru Nakamura's Cavern with Nightlife. This disc is mostly solo sax from Butcher, with one live duo track tacked on at the end. From DMGs newsletter: "The four pieces for solo sax were recorded in the Oya Stone Museum in Japan, formerly a huge mining space hollowed out by 70 years of quarrying. The space adds an immense resonance to John's breathtaking sax explorations. John often repeats a phrase over and over, slowly accentuating certain notes and twisting them into odd shapes, often circular breathing to keep the flow."

I don't know about "immense" resonance, but the sound is very nice. This is my first exposure to Butcher on solo sax and it is very impressive. I'm still not sure how much I would recommend this disc to others who weren't already fans of Butcher's, that will take a few more listens, but, for my own enjoyment, I'm really very glad I got this disc.

I enjoyed everything I've heard by Butcher so far. This one is on the list (it's on Butcher's new own label, isn't it?).

Everyone get out and hear Sonny Simmons, please, while this amazing man is still playing live music for us. His appearances at Tonic in recent yrs have been great nights out for me, always spirited/intense. I had hopes for Rumasuma coming out on CD after the surprising issuance of Burning Spirits, but it does not look likely now.

I remember reading an ecstatic review of Butcher's Invisible Ear. I had intended on getting a copy of this limited edition release but I couldn't (and still can't) seem to find it at a good price.

Maybe Ill wait until it's out of print. It'll be cheaper then, right? :blink:

Twelve pieces for close-miked soprano sax, amplified/feedback tenor and soprano sax and multitrack saxophones.

All tracks recorded in London, Uk, 2002, (except one recorded in a resonant room in Muenster, Germany,1999).

Cover art from a silkscreen print by Avril Levi.

"I first used close-miking and amplification/feedback techniques in concerts with Chris Burn in the early 80s. There's a short piece on our LP Fonetiks. Recently I've revisited using the microphone as part of the instrument - a consequence, I'd imagine, of working more often with computer/electronic musicians. Although there are a couple of layered 'amplification' pieces on earlier solo CDs, Invisible Ear is the first recording where I've deliberately focussed on shaping these possibilities for a solo voice" (John Butcher)

Edition of 600 numbered copies in the usual Fringes oversized cardboard sleeve.

I remember reading an ecstatic review of Butcher's Invisible Ear. I had intended on getting a copy of this limited edition release but I couldn't (and still can't) seem to find it at a good price.

Maybe Ill wait until it's out of print. It'll be cheaper then, right? :blink:

Twelve pieces for close-miked soprano sax, amplified/feedback tenor and soprano sax and multitrack saxophones.

All tracks recorded in London, Uk, 2002, (except one recorded in a resonant room in Muenster, Germany,1999).

Cover art from a silkscreen print by Avril Levi.

"I first used close-miking and amplification/feedback techniques in concerts with Chris Burn in the early 80s. There's a short piece on our LP Fonetiks. Recently I've revisited using the microphone as part of the instrument - a consequence, I'd imagine, of working more often with computer/electronic musicians. Although there are a couple of layered 'amplification' pieces on earlier solo CDs, Invisible Ear is the first recording where I've deliberately focussed on shaping these possibilities for a solo voice" (John Butcher)

Edition of 600 numbered copies in the usual Fringes oversized cardboard sleeve.

Believe it or not, I was about to place an ordr with Fringes. Shall I order two copies of it?

:g

Two it is! :tup

I'll order tomorrow (or later today) as I spotted one or two other CDs I might order and I have to get back to work right now. WORK! HOW I LOVE TO WORK! :rfr

Thanks Tony!

I am about to finish my working day here.

Need some food! EAT! HOW I LOVE TO EAT!

we have Invisible Ear for $15, plus tons of other Butcher titles.

http://www.erstwhilerecords.com/inventory/list.asp

FYI, because we trade with many other labels (we buy from some), we almost always have the lowest prices in the US on what we stock (if we can't get the lowest prices or at least match them, we usually don't stock things).

we have Invisible Ear for $15, plus tons of other Butcher titles.

http://www.erstwhilerecords.com/inventory/list.asp

FYI, because we trade with many other labels (we buy from some), we almost always have the lowest prices in the US on what we stock (if we can't get the lowest prices or at least match them, we usually don't stock things).

How could I forget about Erstwhile!

As a reminder, Erstwhile has excellent prices and shipping rates (both US and international), and my experience with them has been invariably positive.

As son as I receive a new credit card (my current one got into some on-line fraud case so it was blocked today), I will place an order for some Potlatch, Fringes, Rosbin, Recorded and Charizma releases. And porbably some Erstwhile's as well ;)

I listened to Butcher's Cavern With Nightlife again last night at a higher volume and was quite impressed. This disc is better than I had thought after my initial at work listens.

Squidco is a lot more reasonable when you take the free shipping into consideration. That being said, Erst distribution generally has the best prices on the discs they carry and, in my experience, fantastic customer service.

Edited by John B

I'm now listening to Atomic / School Days - Nuclear Assembly Hall (Okka), which came in my recent order from Chuck.

The band is:

Magnus Broo - trumpet

Jeb Bishop - trombone

Fredrik Liungkvist - reeds

Ken Vandermark - reeds

Havard Wiik - piano

Kjell Nordeson - vibraphone

Ingebrigt Haker Flaten - bass

Paal Nilssen-Love - drums

This double album is fantastic! I would even recommend this one to people who arean't overly fond of Vandermark led discs, as he really blends into the ensemble. Nothing too far out, yet the tunes are all very interesting and have a nice fire and energy to them.

So far this will easily make my best of 2004 list.

Friends, I just listened to Harriet Tubman's "I Am A Man" (Knitting Factory, 1999), and I heartily recommend it. The band is

Brandon Ross - guitar

Melvin Gibbs - el. bass

J T Lewis - drums

The music is stylistically somewhat close to what Nels Cline Singers are doing - rock-"informed" improvised guitar trio with some catchy melodic passages and groovy bass lines - however, I like Harriet Tubman even more, since there is less of guitar pyrotechnics here, and more focus, space. Also, rocking element is somewhat elss present - the compositions are more open-ended and less rely on riffs or vamps (no power-trio cliches). Guitar sound is beatiful and bass lines are mesmirizing. Good stuff, and I see that it is available at amazon.com for $9: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=glance&s=music

Given that Knitting Factory CDs are OOP, I would recommend grabbing this asap.

Friends, I just listened to Harriet Tubman's "I Am A Man" (Knitting Factory, 1999), and I heartily recommend it. The band is

Brandon Ross - guitar

Melvin Gibbs - el. bass

J T Lewis - drums

The music is stylistically somewhat close to what Nels Cline Singers are doing - rock-"informed" improvised guitar trio with some catchy melodic passages and groovy bass lines - however, I like Harriet Tubman even more, since there is less of guitar pyrotechnics here, and more focus, space. Also, rocking element is somewhat elss present - the compositions are more open-ended and less rely on riffs or vamps (no power-trio cliches). Guitar sound is beatiful and bass lines are mesmirizing. Good stuff, and I see that it is available at amazon.com for $9: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=glance&s=music

Given that Knitting Factory CDs are OOP, I would recommend grabbing this asap.

Sounds good! I will have to listen again to their Willisau set from '03 (or '02?) - it didn't grab me as the most interesting, I think. Time to give it another chance.

Since I'm in bed with a bit of fever, headache and all, I am listening to definitely un-ratty stuff (Flip Phillips Mosaic right now - GREAT stuff!), but last night there was a broadcast of a solo Misha Mengelberg set, recorded Dec. 1 in Berne, Switzerland. I found it quite boring, to be frank. Or maybe not boring, but tame, too beautiful, too much surface.

To fill up the 85 minutes of the radio show (the solo set was only 45-50 minutes) they played parts of ICP's Willisau 2001 concert (I've had most of that already), and wow! That was a great concert, playful, funny, maybe a bit too much of ecclecticism, but good music, in my opinion.

ubu

Alan Silva / Oluyemi Thomas "Transmissions" (Eremite)

VERY impressed. Captivating bass / reeds duo. I knew SIlva was a monster bassist, but Thomas is a new discovery for me. The man burned on bas clarinet and C-meloidy saxophone. Excellent interplay and very good recording quality. Gotta get more Thomas.

Eremite page: http://www.eremite.com/discography/transmissions27.html

OFN review: http://www.onefinalnote.com/reviews/s/silv...ansmissions.asp

I have had a chance to listen to this one twice now. D.D. is quite correct. This is a great disc, and I am very impressed by Oluyemi Thomas' playing. Too bad his discography is as small as it is.

I highly recommend buying this disc while Drimala is still having their $5 sale.

Some of the worst cover art I've seen in a long time, however. Too bad they didn't use a shot of the duo playing live, instead.

Edited by John B