Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

Went to see Paul Bley last night (good concert but not outstanding - Bley is a man in very very bad physical shape. I will report later) but come back with a bunch of records who has not much to see with the great pianist.

- RAHSAAN ROLAND KIRK: BLACKNUSS (ATLANTIC)

- HAAZZ & COMPANY: UNLAWFUL NOISE - KGB 7076 (ATAVISTIC/UMS)

- This one feature Kees Hazevoet, Peter Bennink, Peter Brôtzmann, Han Bennink,

Johnny Dyani, Louis Moholo and it's a reedition from the neederland KGB label

(?!)

Any comment?

I really like the Roland Kirk disc...it is one of the better Atlantic albums he put out, imo. None of them are as essential as his earlier work, but I would recommend picking it up.

I haven't listened to Haazz and co. in quite a while. I reember it being quite a free blowout, with some rough tape edits and splices. Enjoyable (if you are into that sort of thing) but definitely not essential.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

John B, I'm glad you liked the Closed Mountains stuff. Let us know what you think of the second disc.

P.L.M., I am sad to hear about Bley's condition - he is one of the giants.

Of the discs you listed, I don't think I have any, although I know all the artists. I frankly cannot stand Roland Kirk now - I find his music extremely superficial and secondary. I ttried listening to some of Kirk's stuff recently (and I havbe quite a lot of it, since I was a fan when I just started listening to improvised music), but got irritated aftwer a couple of minutes...

Weston I like quite a bit - particularly his solo stuff (the one on Owl (Afrikan Nites (?) is beatiful). I like this down to earht bluesy thing.

Ivo Perelman is a recent discovery (I have got only his trio disc on Boxholder with Wilber Morris and a drummer - see somewhere above), and I will definitely be getting more of his music - what a terrific tenor sound (he HAS to record something with Brötzmann). Has anybody heard his recording with Scalvis, by the way (it's on Leo)?

Frode Gjerstad... it's good to know that he has one more recording with Brötzmann - the one I have (Sharp Knives Cut Deeper (on Splasc(H), 2003) is :tup:tup:tup)

Is this a live recording (Cadence seems to release a lot of those)?

Haaz & Company looks great on paper. Johnny Dyani is one of my favorite bassists ever... is he playing with Brötzmann here?

Let us know your impressions.

And regarding Mujician (or any music) being edited for CDs - fuck, I hate this. If it does not fit, make a double CD (it really does not cost that much more) or put it as a bonus on other CD... A horrendous move from an artistic standpoint, and a truly stupid one from marketing: the sales of this sort of music are not affected that much by the prices (i.e. if the price of a double CD is higher than that of a single).

And yeah, I also will probably see Mengelberg with Douglas this weekend. I am a bit apprehensive, though - I like Mengelberg a lot, but Douglas somehow annoys me...

Listening to this one again:

g23244o6mny.jpg

The music is indeed terrific, but I still think Drake is a bit too loud in the mix at times.

Hans, have you heard Vintage Duets? - Fred Anderson / Steve McCall duo recording on Okka - there MCCall is perfectly complimetary to Anderson's playing.

Listening to this one again:

g23244o6mny.jpg

The music is indeed terrific, but I still think Drake is a bit too loud in the mix at times.

Hans, have you heard Vintage Duets? - Fred Anderson / Steve McCall duo recording on Okka - there MCCall is perfectly complimetary to Anderson's playing.

Nope, I've never heard it; thanks for the recommendation.

Have you heard Marilyn Crispell's Destiny on Okkadisk, with Anderson and Drake?

That’s eerie. I was just looking at the Okka Disc site and contemplating ordering these two discs, plus a few others. I really enjoy the three Fred Anderson’s I already have on Okka: Birdhouse, w/DKV trio, and Live at the Velvet Lounge. I am still looking for that elusive Moers title.

Edited by alejo

The Perelman/Sclavis disc is pretty good stuff. It's split between quartet tracks (Perelman/Sclavis/Rogers/Lopez) & trio tracks (Perelman/Wodrascka/Lopez). Though the Sclavis tracks are good the Wodrascka ones are actualyl the most striking, as she manages to crank up the music's harshness a few notches.

The Anderson/Drake is pretty good, though I'm not as ecstatic about it as some I know. Yes the drums are loud (though at least Drake isn't a noisy or splashy drummer): you get every bass drum thump & buzz.

Have you heard Marilyn Crispell's Destiny on Okkadisk, with Anderson and Drake?

Not a Crispell fan... and actually not sure how good she would sound with Anderson.

Of 5-6 Fred Anderson CDs I have, Vintage Duets is my favorite, by far.

Just retirned from Mark Ducret's "Qui Parle?" Band concert - boring...

QUOTE (alejo @ Apr 1 2004, 09:06 PM)

I am still looking for that elusive Moers title. 

I assume you can get it from Moers directly: http://www.moers-music.com

Thanks for the link.

I just sent them an e-mail.

We will see if they get back to me.

I’ve heard that others haven’t had much luck; I hope this will not be the case with my inquiry.

PS: What was your decision regarding the Sackville Collection of Creative Improvised Music Classics?

Listening to this one (my only Murray so far):

murray_letmusic.jpg

Pretty good one! The line up is Lawrence "Butch" Morris, Murray, Johnny Dyani, and George Brown.

ubu

I've never seen this one before. What's the label? Great band: Dyani fo'sho, and George Brown is a wonderful drummer. Great sense of polyrhythmic tension-building. He's got a neat little record called "Gorilla" on Message.

- HAAZZ & COMPANY: UNLAWFUL NOISE - KGB 7076 (ATAVISTIC/UMS)

- This one feature Kees Hazevoet, Peter Bennink, Peter Brôtzmann, Han Bennink,

Johnny Dyani, Louis Moholo and it's a reedition from the neederland KGB label

(?!)

A fine, fine record in the tradition of many blowouts (if that's your thing). KGB was Kees' label (as was Snipe, on which he released a duo with Han Bennink). Looking quite forward to the reissue of "Pleasure," his first as a leader. The vinyl is rather impossible to find, and supposedly there will be extra tracks with the UMS version.

I'd like to know more of Bley's health -- he was hobbling when I saw him a few years ago.

PS: What was your decision regarding the Sackville Collection of Creative Improvised Music Classics?

I orderd most of them from Bill Smith directly, but haven't heard back (and my credit card hasn't been charged).

Edited by Д.Д.

Listening to this one (my only Murray so far):

murray_letmusic.jpg

Pretty good one! The line up is Lawrence "Butch" Morris, Murray, Johnny Dyani, and George Brown.

ubu

I've never seen this one before. What's the label? Great band: Dyani fo'sho, and George Brown is a wonderful drummer. Great sense of polyrhythmic tension-building. He's got a neat little record called "Gorilla" on Message.

It's on Marge, clifford. That label (group of labels, rather) was discussed and linked to somewhere earlier in this thread.

http://disquesfuturaetmarge.ifrance.com/di...sfuturaetmarge/

ubu

Thanks all for the answers.

I've listen to all of them by now.

And, in their respective style, they are all good.

I like the KEES HAZEVOET very much because I've seen this band (or more or less in the same setting) during the glorious seventies at the Palais des beaux-Arts, here in Brussels, where every two/three weeks was programmed a concert of free/improv. music (the programmateur was - and his - a friend).

It's where I started to like and know about this music.

The years 1975/76/77/78 was years where I really get into this music between the concerts we could see in Brussels and some festivals, the most important of this festivals been MOERS.

SOUND HIERARCHY is a pretty good PERELMAN (my number nine of him so far) and CRISPELL is great as (most) usual with her (David what your problems with CRISPELL? You know, she sounds pretty good on DESTINY)

But, obviously, the best of the bunch is the FRODE GJERSTAD AND PETER BRÖTZMANN/ INVISIBLE TOUCH.

(It's a live recording from Café Sting, Stavanger, Norway, from july 1998).

Both man are in outstanding form.

GJERSTAD is not in the same league than BRÖ but he is a valuable freebopper. There is some great blowing from both (BRÖTZMANN on tenor, clarinet, tarogato) and they really fit together very well.

By the way GJERSTAD has a new record on Cadence where he pairs with JOHN EDWARDS & MARK SANDERS (THE WELSH CHAPEL) who is the best I've ever heard from him beside his collaborations with BRÖTZMANN.

The ROLAND KIRK is also good even I'm not much fan of his larger band (but his use of "electronic strings", with his "dated" sound is pretty fun) and also less interesting by his soul/jazz period.

The concert DOUGLAS/ MENGELBERG was one of the best I've seen this last months, full of humour and really great music.

I'm not either a fan of DOUGLAS (don't like much his records and remember to have hate one of his CHARM OF A NIGHT SKY concerts).

But when the man is out of his too well definite sphere, you are oblige to recognize that he is a GREAT trumpet player.

MENGELBERG try to push him off his limit and out of track few times but DOUGLAS was always responding with lot of "à propos" to all the provocations of the pianist.

Lot of humour all over and I love MENGELBERG (particularly when he plays and deconstructed some standard or got in his MONK's craze).

All of the concerts I've seen of him from three decades, and in all of the possible setting, have always been FUN to me.

I've got yesterday a CD duet of BERTRAND DENZLER/ HANS KOCH ASYMETRIES from the Quebec's label www.actuelledcd.com.

Not heard yet (it has been recorded in 2001 and realised last year.)

Comments on this?

David, concerning the VENTRILOQUIST from PERELMAN'S (feat. SCLAVIS), as Dorward says.

Indeed, the tracks with WODRASCKA are the best.

I just regret than PERELMAN doesn't give her more space for her solos.

CHRISTINE WODRASCKA is the most interesting french pianist I've ever heard in the field of IMPRO. Much much better than DELBECQ, AGNEL, DOMANCHIC, BOZAN Z. or what ever.

Somebody to follow absolutely.

Edited by P.L.M

Oh yeah, Marge, shoulda known. There's a Frank Lowe that looks sort of similar, if I remember right.

I would've loved to have seen Haazz and Co. live; that must have been some heavy shit. There's a reason why, in my online personal ad, I say I'd rather be in Holland. Now, if some chick emails me about some Haazz, it's all over...

Edited by clifford_thornton

About PAUL BLEY.

I've seen him two and half years ago, in Brussels. It's when I discover than the man could hardly walk anymore, going to his piano, one very small step after another. It was surprising because I never heard anything about his health.

His playing was great (much more than three days ago) but he didn't play more than 50 minutes and NEVER touch the pedals of the instrument. So, at the end of every piece he lets the last note resound until it died.

This time it was worst. He has lot difficulties, even with help, to climb on the small stage (20 cm high) and couldn't find a way to sit properly during the first piece he plays.

So, after he finished it (he plays during ten minutes) he has lived the stage asking than somebody put on his sit two phonebooks.

He didn't return before a quarter.

It's only at this moment than the concert start for real, but the music played sound to me rather mecanic.

Paul Bley be mecanic! It's a qualificatif who fit better Oscar Peterson.

After he plays/improvises three others pieces (duration, 30 minures), he lived the stage again (still with great difficulties.)

It's only when he returns for an "encore" than the concert really start.

He plays a meddley (CONFIRMATION, ALL THE THINGS YOU ARE and something else than I didn't identified) and another beautiful impro.

This 15 minutes who show the man at his best was comforting.

But to watch a man, who hasn't yet reach his 72, try to walk his way to the piano or away from it was, in contrast, really heartbreaking..

It's seems than obviously, Paul Bley got some (cerebral?) problems years ago who have take from him most of his capacity to move.

Edited by P.L.M

Saw Gerry Hemingway quartet yeasterday - Gerry on drums, Ellery Eskelin on o-ho-ho, Herb Robertson on trumpet and Mark Helias on bass (acoustic and bass-guitar) - quite good although not outstanding: clever a bit funky free bop. Eskelin was good - pensive and soft, and Robertson was a bit overblowing. Helias-Hemingway section is a pleasure to listen to - totaly attuned to each other (well, they've been playing for 20 years now).

Had quite a long conversation with musicians after the concert - all are nice guys. Eskelin was telling me about his new Parkins-Black-Eskelin recording which is about to be released; Robertson told me that Stefan Winter (Winter & Winter label owner) has comissioned him to write a work for singers and viola-da-gambas and he was totally confused about how to go about it all. He is also participating in new Barry Guy 'large band' recording (which will be released on Intakt), and said that it's enormously hard stuff to play. We also discussed the CIMP sound (Herb records a lot for them), he-he...

All of them seemed to be pretty upset abut their CDs going OOP (particularly Gerry, who has most of his catalog OOP by now). Gerry said that Hat will reissue at least one of his HatArt records - but he really wants to see them all reissued as a 4-CD box. The quartet that was performing recorded some material and will releases it this year (on Clean Feed, I think). Gerry also mentioned, that Between-the-Lines label is not doing too well financially. Gerry also mentioned that his Erstwhile disc with Tom Lehn - Tom & Gerry is about to go OOP. I already mentioned it somewhere here - this is a masterpiece, a truly groub-breaking record, so grab it asap.

I bought some CDs:

1. Gerry Hemingway Quartet - "Devil's Paradise" (Clean Feed).

2. Mark Helias Open Loose - "Verbs of Will" (Radio Legs) (after the concert Gerry and Ellery were standing behind the table selling CDs, Mark came up to them and said: "Push push my stuff, guys!", and was very surprised when Gerry told him they already had sold one (to me).

3. Thomas Lehn & Gerry Hemingway - "Fire Works" (Umbrella).

4. Gerry Hemingway Quartet - "Johnny's Corner Song" (Auricle) - this is a quartet with Robin Eubanks on trombone.

Will listen and report here.

Musicians' websites:

http://www.gerryhemingway.com

http://markhelias.com

http://home.earthlink.net/~eskelin/

Edited by Д.Д.

Gerry also mentioned that his Erstwhile disc with Tom Lehn - Tom & Gerry is about to go OOP. I already mentioned it somewhere here - this is a masterpiece, a truly ground-breaking record, so grab it asap.

thanks for the kind words about this release. yeah, I told Gerry last week I have about 30 of these left, and it's unlikely it'll be reprinted again for quite some time, if ever, so grab one soon if you're interested.

1. Gerry Hemingway Quartet - "Devil's Paradise" (Clean Feed).

4. Gerry Hemingway Quartet - "Johnny's Corner Song" (Auricle) - this is a quartet with Robin Eubanks on trombone.

I bought these two when I saw Gerry in concert with Ray Anderson and Mark Helias last month. They are both fantastic.

I will second the recommendation for Tom & Gerry on Erstwhile. It is a solid album and a great way for someone coming from a purer jazz background to start exploring electroacoustic work.

Mengelberg-Douglas concert was fantastic.

After the concert had a brief conversartion with Anthony Braxton who will perform solo (on alto) tomorrow (and I will ave to miss it - fuck!). Very sweet guy; thanked me profoundly for being a fan of his music. Told me that the performance of GTM by 55 musicians (performed at the hockey ring) recorded a year ago will be released on DVD in 2004 or 2005. Should be something scary.

After some ear problems that kept me from listening to music (life was mono for quite awhile) for almost three months, I'm now able to slowly get back to music again. Now I'm listening to disk 5 from the Jimmy Lyons Box Set and this concert from the Tufts Jaz Festival is just amazing. I had never heard Karen Borca before and she is a major revelation, such creative playing from a basson, of all things. Some people dump on the sound for this concert, but it is more than o.k. Of course, Lyons himself is a fount of great playing. If anyone comes across this box set -- get it! It just keeps getting better and better.

Guest Chaney

Does anybody know of anywhere on line I can buy clean-feed releases? That looks a good one & they have the new Ken Vandermark also.

Looks like CADENCE is the official distributor and DMG also sells clean feed titles.

Copies of NY Quartet can also be ordered directly from Dennis Gonzalez for $12 plus $1.15 domestic shipping.

Dennis can be reached at... dennisgonzalezx.aol.com

As Dennis writes (on April 3, 2004) over at the JC, seems there's a bit of a problem with the pressing of this one.

There is unfortunately a small pop or glitch in the entire pressing of the N Y Quartet CD, so it is being re-pressed as we speak. It'll be here in about a week and a half, at which time, I will send those of you who ordered the CD (and I'm excited to say that the list is huge, made up of so many of my JC colleagues) your copies immediately. If you haven't put in your order, contact me today and I'll e-mail you right back with easy ordering instructions. I have one copy with me (one with the mistake on it), and it sounds great. I'm excited!

Also, for those interested, copies of Forms can be ordered directly from Ellery Eskelin at $15. SEE HERE (Note that Ellery also has copies of three of his OOP hat titles: DISSONANT CHARACTERS (hatOLOGY 534), FIVE OTHER PIECES (+2) (hatOLOGY 533) and KULAK 29 & 30 (hatOLOGY 521).)

Edited by Chaney