Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

I'm finding Call Cobbs' harpsichord a little bit distracting but, on the whole, Love Cryis just a beautiful album!  I don't know why, but Ayler is just what I've needed to hear for the past day.

I've been playing this today (because of your post). Its a great CD.

I quite like Don Aylers trumpet on this one it doesnt seem as repetative as he seems to be on other recordings (except for on Love Cry II perhaps).

I agree. It is too bad he seems to have left music not too long after this. It seems to me that his abilities were improving and he was more creative in his playing.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Today, I listened to "I am an Indian" and "Love Henry," both by Clusone Trio, and even though I enjoyed them quite a bit, I'd say that - in contrast to what I said yesterday, you see responses to music I have to vicariously experience - neither is as good as Rara Avis. They were recorded live in 1993 and 1996, respectively, and they seem to be rougher overall with less planning and more improvisation. Still what happens to me with ensembles like the Clusone Trio is that every now and then, within an album, they have these fascinating transitions or a deep groove by Han, a beautiful line by Moore or Reijseger and they seem to stay with me and make the rest of the trip worthwhile, so . . .

Oh and talking of Subterranean distribution, I'd think they would have the first release, if I have my facts right, of the Clusone Trio - a self-titled release on Moore's own Ramboy label - as I understand it has recently been re-issued in a cardboard sleeve (I have the earlier jewel-case version). Perhaps I should give it a fresh spin too before saying as much but I remember really liking that one as well (more than I am an Indian and Love Henry) and unlike much of the trio's output it's readily available. So go for it, I say.

Oh yes, also brought Braxton's "Charlie Parker Project 1993" with me to the office today - having heard five random tracks from the recent standards box, I must say that I find Braxton's blowing here, especially on the first disc, to present a lot more to get excited about. Already had my dose of Air through "Air Time" (on Nessa if anyone needed reminding).

Today, I listened to "I am an Indian" and "Love Henry," both by Clusone Trio, and even though I enjoyed them quite a bit, I'd say that - in contrast to what I said yesterday, you see responses to music I have to vicariously experience - neither is as good as Rara Avis. They were recorded live in 1993 and 1996, respectively, and they seem to be rougher overall with less planning and more improvisation. Still what happens to me with ensembles like the Clusone Trio is that every now and then, within an album, they have these fascinating transitions or a deep groove by Han, a beautiful line by Moore or Reijseger and they seem to stay with me and make the rest of the trip worthwhile, so . . .

Interesting enough those two are the ones I have CDRs of ;) Thanks again, gnhrtg!

Will report when I heard them a few times!

I love Love Henry and especially I Am An Indian - with the Dewey Redman tune (Qow) being a highlight with Bennink swinging madly while Michale Moore plays some somewhat uncharacteristicly emotive and sometimes even waling alto saxophone.

I like both Rara Avis & An Hour Wit... as well - but I like the more loosely structured earlier dates - maybe to my ears the later material (or rather performances) became more homogenized and less unpredictable

in any event a great trio that is sorely missed

fwiw - I'm new here - and this is cool thread - but I fear it extends the bifurcation with jazz circles by separating so-called "out' or "avant-garde" jazz music which ensures that the mainstreamers will simply ignore it when actually much of the music discussed on the 200+ pages is quite accesable to many people who wouldn't even know it. Much of this music *is* today's mainstream, whether some die-hard conservators like it or not

Get Ready To Receive Yourself

what other recordings do you have with Han Bennink?

those two CD's do not represent his playing

2 great ones are duet with Myra Melford (Eleven Ghosts) and Ellery Eskelin (Dissonant Characters). Han is very serious on these dates(while not lacking in humour in his playing) - he just plays the hell out of the drums - no tearing of coardboard or other zany antics (not that there is anything wrong with that - I'd just rather hear him dowhat he does best - which is play world class drums - and his range is remarkable - he swings, he plays all the little sound and details interacting with the pianist/tenor saxophonist - both are incredible while be very different from each other

Guest Chaney

(...)

fwiw - I'm new here - and this is cool thread - but I fear it extends the bifurcation with jazz circles by separating so-called "out' or "avant-garde" jazz music which ensures that the mainstreamers will simply ignore it when actually much of the music discussed on the 200+ pages is quite accesable to many people who wouldn't even know it. Much of this music *is* today's mainstream, whether some die-hard conservators like it or not

Welcome Steve!

You may find THIS thread of interest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't own a ton of Bennink so I don't know if I've even been exposed to his fabled playing antics. Eleven Ghosts and especially Dissonant Characters are indeed great. (Eskelin could be considered a [meant in a nice way] ringer on any recording, as far as I'm concerned.)

I agree, but whenever I start a thread on Jemeel Moondoc or the Art Ensemble or anyone else not on Blue Note, the thread tends to die a quick death. It is unfortunate, so every once in a while I try again, recently with Rudresh Mahanthappa, hoping that a few people who don't visit Funny Rat will be motivated to check out a disc on Eremite or Ayler or any number of fantastic small labels who are putting out challenging, enjoyable music today, as opposed to the '50'ws and '60's.

I have both the duo hatOLOGY's with Bennink, not heard the Melford yet, but I think "Dissonant Characters" is very good. Also I mentioned that Brötz/Mengelberg/Bennink trio disc I picked up on FMP, "Three Points and a Mountain...Plus" - some great stuff on it.

Steve - stick around here!

the only snag with this thread being so long is that I can't ever find things within it.

That's the only problem, yes. But when you only search the recommendations forum and chose "post results as posts" or how that's called, you find everything pretty fast - that's my experience, at least.

Will have a listen to the Melford/Bennink, then, as soon as I can! I picked it up in a hat-sale - still have many I never heard...

Have the Eskelin/Bennink one, which I really enjoy, and I'm sure a couple of others also, like Machine Gun. Just seems too busy for my taste at times, like he wants to be the center of attention. I've been looking at that Brötz/Mengelberg/Bennink cd, which I'll probably pick up by the end of the year.

the only snag with this thread being so long is that I  can't ever find things within it.

That's the only problem, yes. But when you only search the recommendations forum and chose "post results as posts" or how that's called, you find everything pretty fast - that's my experience, at least.

Will have a listen to the Melford/Bennink, then, as soon as I can! I picked it up in a hat-sale - still have many I never heard...

many thanks for that :D

I'll be listening to Air Time, Air Mail and Live Air today. I decided to try an experiment and, rather than confining my thought here, I started a discussion in the Artists forum. If any of you are familiar with these albums or, with Air in general, please chime in!

Air was (on these recordings):

Henry Threadgill

Fred Hopkins

Steve McCall

Great music, great writing, criminally unavailable catalog.

g02891jdswo.jpg

Edited by John B

I was lucky to see Air twice, around '80-81. The first time was in a beautiful chapel on the Yale campus. The setting and acoustics seemed inspiring because they blew the roof off of the place. Threadgill played tenor and bass flute. Just when it seemed that it could not get more intense, they would take it even higher. Incredible interplay. I still have a few photos from the show. Perhaps my fondest musical memory.

what other recordings do you have with Han Bennink?

those two CD's do not represent his playing

2 great ones are duet with Myra Melford (Eleven Ghosts) and Ellery Eskelin (Dissonant Characters). Han is very serious on these dates(while not lacking in humour in his playing).

Another recent example of Hans getting "serious" is his wonderful duo with pianist Simon Navatov called Chat Room (on Leo). Nabatov, who started as a pretty voluble post-bop virtuoso type of guy, has developed ini a powerful (and more economical) player with diverse ideas, and Bennink is an excellent partner here - listening attentively, and responding in a supportive but also in a provicative way. Excellent reording quality, so you heare all the univderse of sounds (and SOUNDS and sounds) that Bennink creates. Overall, a pretty mellow and introspective affair.

Expanded liner notes form the Leo website:

378.jpg

Edited by Д.Д.

31228.jpg

Picked this one used yesterday, had a quick listen, like it, will return. Nice music, some of it with a ZA touch, some rather European. John Tchicai is in the band.

ubu

My only exposure to Dorge, is his beautiful trio disc with Khan Jamal and mighty Johnny Dyani called Three (also on SteepleChase). Joyful tuneful music with a lot of love.

New release on Enja Winckelmann (the label seems to have woken up finally):

Aki Takase Plays Fats Waller

Just look at the rocking combo:

Aki Takase (p);

Eugene Chadbourne - (voc, banjo,git);

Rudi Mahall (bcl)

Nils Wogram (tb);

Thomas Heberer (tp)

Paul Lovens - (dr)

Should be interesting.

http://jazzrecords.com/enja/9152.htm

New release on Enja Winckelmann (the label seems to have woken up finally):

Aki Takase Plays Fats Waller

Just look at the rocking combo:

Aki Takase (p);

Eugene Chadbourne - (voc, banjo,git);

Rudi Mahall (bcl)

Nils Wogram (tb);

Thomas Heberer (tp)

Paul Lovens - (dr)

Should be interesting.

http://jazzrecords.com/enja/9152.htm

I saw the band, without Heberer, about a month ago (at Jazz a Mulhouse) and it was much like the disc - played many tunes without stretching much, except for a very good duo by Mahall and Takase. Fortunately, for me, Chadbourne gets much less solo space on the disc than he did at that concert. Unfortunately, Heberer appears only on three cuts (of the fifteen). I enjoyed the concert and enjoy the disc as well though it is far from a contender of the year's best, fwiw - still good fun throughout most of the disc.