Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

and in a totally non-argumentative way...

i just purchased cecil taylor's "one too many salty swift and not goodbye" because i saw it used on sale (still expensive).

penguin and AMG both praise its wonders, and any comments i find online are equally gushing (besdies a few reservations about jackson on drums). now i am not saying the album isn't brilliant but i am wondering if anyone who feels it is a work of brilliance can suggest how they listen to this music and what they appreciate about it because i have a hard time getting inside it, besides occassionally and ironically enough, being grabbed by jackson's drumming....

Hey Ak, just want to give my 2 cents. I first heard Cecil "live" with Lyons. Grimes and Murray around '64. I've heard Cecil many times since and produced a concert with him once (also a failed recording project - not Cecil's fault). In a personal way I consider him a friend though I have not talked to him in 20 years. The band on "Salty Swift" is my favorite of his groups (with the exception of the Lyons, Sirone, Cyrille quartet). The New Worlds are amazing and the MPS disc if fine too.

Just relax and let the music take you. Or not.

Do you guys think it makes sense to go to AEoC concert? Starting in two hours, one hour drive from my place.

I wouldn't give up a chance to see Roscoe Mitchell live. Especially when he is on stage with Moye and Jarman!

Well, I skipped - went to a fashion show instead.

The main reason I would go see AEoC is not Mitchell or Jarman. It's Moye.

Do you guys think it makes sense to go to AEoC concert? Starting in two hours, one hour drive from my place.

I wouldn't give up a chance to see Roscoe Mitchell live. Especially when he is on stage with Moye and Jarman!

Silly boy.

Silly boy.

Don't like fashion shows, Chuck?

Silly boy.

Guess not. Didn't know that was your goal.

Silly boy.

Guess not. Didn't know that was your goal.

Chuck, not considering years of your friendship for a minute - you seriously think Mitchell's recent work (like his 3-CD soloset) is on par with what he did 30 (or even 15) years ago?

I assume you heard Jarman play recently - casting the glorius past and sentementality aside - would you say this is something worth hearing live?

Chuck, not considering years of your friendship for a minute - you seriously think Mitchell's recent work (like his 3-CD soloset) is on par with what he did 30 (or even 15) years ago?

I assume you heard Jarman play recently - casting the glorius past and sentementality aside - would you say this is something worth hearing live?

IMO, Roscoe's most recent recorded work is far beyond anything Moye has ever done.

Jarman is not in good health and is not playing well for some time but his "conceptions" are beyond Moye.

Don Moye is a master percussionist and I mean no disrespect to his work - it is just on another level.

i am enjoying michel portal's "alors!!!" right now.

how does "splendid yzlement" stack up?

P.L.M. is he main Portalologist here. I remember not liking "alors!!!" too much - but I listened to it only once, time to revisit.

I like them both, the CBS maybe a bit more - musically it's very unique. The Pathe is a motherfucker too, if you can find it!

Portal is underrated in the States. He's an amazing musician, and not without a sense of humor!

i just purchased cecil taylor's "one too many salty swift and not goodbye" because i saw it used on sale (still expensive).

penguin and AMG both praise its wonders, and any comments i find online are equally gushing (besdies a few reservations about jackson on drums). now i am not saying the album isn't brilliant but i am wondering if anyone who feels it is a work of brilliance can suggest how they listen to this music and what they appreciate about it because i have a hard time getting inside it, besides occassionally and ironically enough, being grabbed by jackson's drumming....

Setting aside the question whether you get anything out of Cecil in general, my own take on this is that it is overlong and rambles. The CD version has introductory solos and duets which (to me) are tedious and get me bored before I have properly got started - I generally skip them. There *are* passages that appeal to me, but the general length of the venture is just too taxing and I can never remember where are the bits I like. I don't like the sound much either. I can see why this is collectable but maybe it is one of those holy grail recordings that doesn't quite warrant the ebay price? (OK for sure next time I play this I'll regret every word I just wrote...)

I don't like the sound much either. I can see why this is collectable but maybe it is one of those holy grail recordings that doesn't quite warrant the ebay price?

You can say what ever you want about this record (one of the master piece of TAYLOR recordings). But one thing who's sure, it's his incredible sound quality.

At least, if you take the bannanas from your ears, you could hear (I hope) the indisputable value that sound quality brings to this record.

I don't like the sound much either. I can see why this is collectable but maybe it is one of those holy grail recordings that doesn't quite warrant the ebay price?

You can say what ever you want about this record (one of the master piece of TAYLOR recordings). But one thing who's sure, it's his incredible sound quality.

At least, if you take the bannanas from your ears, you could hear (I hope) the indisputable value that sound quality brings to this record.

As mentioned, I do nto have the disc, so cannot add my authoritative and definitive opinion, but could it be that David refers to older edition of the album, not the remaster released last year:

599b.gif

Why, I always listen to music with fresh bananas in my ears. Helps smoothen the rough edges, on CIMP releases, in particular. Shall I try something else? Or other banana brand?

CHIQUITA.gif

Guest Chaney

Always eager to follow the crowd, I went the banana route but never really could understand the appeal.

I'm now using kiwi and am very happy for the change.

~~~~~~~~~~

:party::party:

E4126.jpeg

Upcoming "mid-April" from EMANEM: Supermodel Supermodel

Gail Brand: trombone

Tim Perkis: electronics (laptop)

Gino Robair: percussion, faux dax, Styrofoam, ebow snare

John Shiurba: guitar

Matthew Sperry: double bass and preparations

Edited by Chaney

:party::party:

Upcoming "mid-April" from EMANEM: Supermodel Supermodel

Gail Brand: trombone

Tim Perkis: electronics (laptop)

Gino Robair: percussion, faux dax, Styrofoam, ebow snare

John Shiurba: guitar

Matthew Sperry: double bass and preparations

This one has been "upcoming" for a year or so now. Looking forward.

Jazzloft also carries Butcher/Durrant/Russell: "Concert Moves" (Random Acoustics) that I haven't seen elsewhere. I remember Nate praised this one highly.

It is very good. Very unlikely you'll come away unsatisfied if you're into the genre at all, which you are.

I like the 3-disc solo set. I also like the two recent Pi CDs, even if they don't compare with their past achievements. It's all still interesting music

I like this set too. I also think highly of the duo with Tatsi Aoki recently released on Southside. The Pi discs are OK, I much prefer Mitchell's non-AEoC work these days. (And my opinions are in no way influenced by where I think they stand in comparison to Sound.) :)

Setting aside the question whether you get anything out of Cecil in general, my own take on this is that it is overlong and rambles. The CD version has introductory solos and duets which (to me) are tedious and get me bored before I have properly got started - I generally skip them. There *are* passages that appeal to me, but the general length of the venture is just too taxing and I can never remember where are the bits I like. I don't like the sound much either. I can see why this is collectable but maybe it is one of those holy grail recordings that doesn't quite warrant the ebay price? (OK for sure next time I play this I'll regret every word I just wrote...)

I think the reputation this set has garnered due to it's spotty availability created some undue expectations. I suspect if the recent reissue were it's initial release it would win album of the year in many circles and be discussed in a similar manner as the recent Monk/Coltrane release.

Guest akanalog

well i believe "one too many salty..." was downbeat album of the year in 1981.

this is why i asked my question-

based on critical opinion, this album is INDISPUTABLY a great piece of work. and i am not saying it isn't-i'm just asking people how they approach it and what they get out of it that they enjoy so much.