Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

I have the original FMP vinyl and have not found that one as impressive as the stuff with Mangelsdorff, or even Pica-Pica for that matter. Just my $0.02... carry on.

Baby Sommer is the bomb on Pica Pica!

I love Baby Sommer - been recently checking out the Berlin album with Cecil and 'Touch the Earth...' with Leo Smith and Kowald. Sommer's fantastic on both IMHO!

Check out his solo CD- Sachsische Schatulle & his work as a member of Zentrallquartett- all CDs on Intakt Records. :tup:tup:tup

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Zentralquartett is fantastic all the way! First choice for me would be this one:

069f.jpg

http://www.intaktrec.ch/069-a.htm

"Careless Love" I don't have, "Plié" is almost as good as the above, and so is the most recent one, which is their take on traditional songs from Germany.

Sommer also has a new one coming out of his duo with Wadada Leo Smith:

128f.jpg

http://www.intaktrec.ch/128-a.htm

And here you'll find all his Intakt releases in one place: http://www.intaktrec.ch/babysommer-a.htm

I haven't seen it yet, don't know if it's out already or not... Intakt releases more/faster than ever before, they seem to do pretty good, which is great!

The Anderson/Schweizer/Drake I think was out for release (with the cover backed white instead of black) two years ago or so, but then disappeared and now it's finally in stores... no idea what happened, but this just as an example that their fast release schedule isn't really documented on their website in a proper way...

Just did some googling and found the Sommer/Smith is already out!

The DMG newsletter this week had a some bad news about Tonic.....

FLASH NEWS!!!

It seems Tonic, one of our favorite places, will be closing for good

on April 15th, unless radical economic help is forthcoming.

Some notable shows that are upcoming [and not yet known to be cancelled]:

Tuesday Apr 4th, 8PM

ADACHI TOMOMI - Performer, composer, sound poet and visual artist

from Tokyo, known for his versatile style. He will present solo

improvisations with combinations of voice, computer, self-made

instruments (electronic/amplified objects) and an original sensor

system named "infrared sensor shirt." His performance is

characterized by a sense of humor and a singular intensity with

visual pleasure. His CDs have been released from naya records and

Tzadik.

Thurs & Friday April 6 + 7, 8 PM & 9:30 PM

MISHA MENGELBERG & ICP ORCHESTRA - Four Shows In Two Nights!!!

"My main thought about the ICP is: How do they do it? The show is

always radically different. But perhaps what amazes me most is the

way they wander in and out of strictly composed material. The crux of

what they do, as the name implies, is improvisation. And they do it

as well as anyone out there."--Dave Douglas

Wed April 11th, 8PM

PETER BROTZMANN-MARINO PLIAKAS-MICHAEL WERTMULLER

Peter Brotzmann (Germany, reeds) - the living legend of the European

new jazz. A founder of European Free Jazz movement, his work includes

collaborations and recordings with Last Exit (with Bill Laswell,

Sonny Sharrock and Ronald Shannon Jackson), Evan Parker, Misha

Mengelberg, and Borah Bergman. Recent projects include Die Like a Dog

(with William Parker, Hamid Drake and Toshinori Kondo), his homage to

Albert Ayler, the Chicago-based Brotzmann Tentet and many more.

The DMG newsletter this week had a some bad news about Tonic.....

FLASH NEWS!!!

It seems Tonic, one of our favorite places, will be closing for good

on April 15th, unless radical economic help is forthcoming.

Some notable shows that are upcoming [and not yet known to be cancelled]:

Tuesday Apr 4th, 8PM

ADACHI TOMOMI - Performer, composer, sound poet and visual artist

from Tokyo, known for his versatile style. He will present solo

improvisations with combinations of voice, computer, self-made

instruments (electronic/amplified objects) and an original sensor

system named "infrared sensor shirt." His performance is

characterized by a sense of humor and a singular intensity with

visual pleasure. His CDs have been released from naya records and

Tzadik.

Thurs & Friday April 6 + 7, 8 PM & 9:30 PM

MISHA MENGELBERG & ICP ORCHESTRA - Four Shows In Two Nights!!!

"My main thought about the ICP is: How do they do it? The show is

always radically different. But perhaps what amazes me most is the

way they wander in and out of strictly composed material. The crux of

what they do, as the name implies, is improvisation. And they do it

as well as anyone out there."--Dave Douglas

Wed April 11th, 8PM

PETER BROTZMANN-MARINO PLIAKAS-MICHAEL WERTMULLER

Peter Brotzmann (Germany, reeds) - the living legend of the European

new jazz. A founder of European Free Jazz movement, his work includes

collaborations and recordings with Last Exit (with Bill Laswell,

Sonny Sharrock and Ronald Shannon Jackson), Evan Parker, Misha

Mengelberg, and Borah Bergman. Recent projects include Die Like a Dog

(with William Parker, Hamid Drake and Toshinori Kondo), his homage to

Albert Ayler, the Chicago-based Brotzmann Tentet and many more.

Never really "dug" the place, though I did see a few good gigs there when in NYC. Still, one less venue is one less venue...

I received my Ictus 30th Anniversary Box yesterday. Was anyone else afraid to open the cds? Hate messing up the beautiful band around the cd. Music is very nice also. Mine is #290. How many set were made? Highly recommended.

Consider it an achievement that you shelled out for it. I have no doubt that quite a bit of what's included on those records is very good--but talk about steep.

I find it ironic that the box is still the cheapest way to hear a lot of those albums. One of my favorite LA record shops was carrying an Ictus for $50 (unfortunately for me, it was the last one--the shop owner said a "couple of Japanese guys came in and bought up all the weird jazz--dropped about $300.").

I received my Ictus 30th Anniversary Box yesterday. Was anyone else afraid to open the cds? Hate messing up the beautiful band around the cd. Music is very nice also. Mine is #290. How many set were made? Highly recommended.

Consider it an achievement that you shelled out for it. I have no doubt that quite a bit of what's included on those records is very good--but talk about steep.

I find it ironic that the box is still the cheapest way to hear a lot of those albums. One of my favorite LA record shops was carrying an Ictus for $50 (unfortunately for me, it was the last one--the shop owner said a "couple of Japanese guys came in and bought up all the weird jazz--dropped about $300.").

Total price for the set, including S/H was $100.00, which I considered a steal since the set is brand new, and the individual cds are going for $15.00-$18.00. I'm really enjoying the music on the set, very interesting and some of it is just beautiful.

Dude, you only need like the first few LPs! That would set you back about the same - $100!

So far good in terms of the cds that I've heard off the set. Right now I'm listening to In Concert that has Steve Lacy, Kent Carter, and Andrea Centazzo. Very nice. I usually don't like Lacy all that much, but this cd is one I'm enjoying a lot. Kent Carter especially is impressing me with his playing and interaction with Lacy.

I'm home for the weekend between some more weeks in the army band, so forgive me for not going deeper into the thread and the web, but is this Ictus box different from the single disc releases that generally get lukewarm reviews in Penguin? I got four or five of those in a sale a couple of months ago, as yet unplayed... Is the stuff in the box better, if it's indeed different stuff, or are the Penguin chaps totally missing the point there?

I'm home for the weekend between some more weeks in the army band, so forgive me for not going deeper into the thread and the web, but is this Ictus box different from the single disc releases that generally get lukewarm reviews in Penguin? I got four or five of those in a sale a couple of months ago, as yet unplayed... Is the stuff in the box better, if it's indeed different stuff, or are the Penguin chaps totally missing the point there?

They are the same. Each cd in the thirtieth anniversary is available individually. I happen to enjoy what I've heard so far, especially the cds with Steve Lacy. The other one I'm enjoying more than I expected. There is some very nice use of electronics, and some great moments outside the Lacy cds. I've enjoyed the set more that I thought I would. As to whether the Penguin's are missing the boat, I don't know because my taste/judgment on music often differs from them -- a lot.

Thanks for your reply, Matthew - I'll have a look at the Ictus page (or was that the DMG page or something - the one with infos on the individual discs) once I'm done with the army crap (two more weeks to go). So the packaging is different, but the contents are the same?

Thanks for your reply, Matthew - I'll have a look at the Ictus page (or was that the DMG page or something - the one with infos on the individual discs) once I'm done with the army crap (two more weeks to go). So the packaging is different, but the contents are the same?

These are the cds from the 30th anniversary box. The ones with Lacy are very good.

I have two with Lacy on LP, and would like to get the trio with E Parker and Curran. I suspect some of the late '70s NY stuff - with Polly Bradfield, John Zorn, Ladonna Smith, et al, might be of some interest (in a sort of "throw shit at the wall" fashion).

Nothing to do with anything:

Just heard the Zorn/Graves duo CD the other day. Would not have expected it to be as good as it is!

These are the cds from the 30th anniversary box. The ones with Lacy are very good.

Thanks for the link - looks different from the ones I have, or I haven't looked close enough to see...

John Carter/Centazzo/Vinnie Golia/Gregg Goodman - USA Concerts West (Ictus Reissue Series #3)

(trio with Carter/Golia, duo with Goodman - all previously unissued)

Centazzo/ALvin Curran/Evan Parker - Real Time One (Ictus Reissue Series #4)

(#1-4 orig. released as Ictus 0006, #5 prev. unreleased)

Centazzo/Trovesi - Shock!! (Ictus Reissue Series #9)

(orig. released as Ictus 0016)

Centazzo/Lol Coxhill/Franz Koglmann/Giancarlo Schiaffini - Situations (Ictus Reissue Series #12)*

(first 7 tracks - prev. unissued - are Koglmann/Coxhill/Centazzo, rest is Ictus 008 with Schiaffini & Coxhill)

These are on the Felmay label, rather than on Ictus itself, numbers are rdc 5028, rdc 5029, rdc 5043 & rdc 5046.

Thanks for the link - looks different from the ones I have, or I haven't looked close enough to see...

John Carter/Centazzo/Vinnie Golia/Gregg Goodman - USA Concerts West (Ictus Reissue Series #3)

(trio with Carter/Golia, duo with Goodman - all previously unissued)

Centazzo/ALvin Curran/Evan Parker - Real Time One (Ictus Reissue Series #4)

(#1-4 orig. released as Ictus 0006, #5 prev. unreleased)

Centazzo/Trovesi - Shock!! (Ictus Reissue Series #9)

(orig. released as Ictus 0016)

Centazzo/Lol Coxhill/Franz Koglmann/Giancarlo Schiaffini - Situations (Ictus Reissue Series #12)*

(first 7 tracks - prev. unissued - are Koglmann/Coxhill/Centazzo, rest is Ictus 008 with Schiaffini & Coxhill)

These are on the Felmay label, rather than on Ictus itself, numbers are rdc 5028, rdc 5029, rdc 5043 & rdc 5046.

Comparing your list with the 30th Anniversary booklet, this is what I come up with:

Centazzo/ALvin Curran/Evan Parker - Real Time One = In Real Time

John Carter/Centazzo/Vinnie Golia/Gregg Goodman - USA Concerts West = The New US Concerts. It says in the booklet that it is a melding of "USA Concerts West" & "USA Concerts East" and other unreleased stuff.

(first 7 tracks - prev. unissued - are Koglmann/Coxhill/Centazzo, rest is Ictus 008 with Schiaffini & Coxhill). From what I can understand from the listings, the music here are spread across two cds: Thirty Years From Monday and Rebels, Travelers & Improvisers

Centazzo/Trovesi - Shock!! = Thirty Years From Monday. Don't know if the entire lp in on this cd. The two tracks of Trovesi/Centazzo are Trovecen #1 & #2.

It would seem to me that most of the music you have are a part of the 30th Anniversary set. Be warned though, I was a notoriously bad proof-reader in college, so I would not be surprised if I missed something.