Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

I just recently received Olaf Ton's self-titled disc in a trade with Gokhan. This is a fun listen! This band is from Berlin, and apparently has just 2 releases. Piano-less quintet (trumpet, sax/clarinet, trombone, bass, & drums). Anybody else like this?

lr381.jpg

Missed this post before: yes, they're quite good; the first album's OK but the one on 2nd floor is much stronger, I think. I'm not sure that any of the horns are knockout players but they're fine, & the rhythm section is one of the best young bass + drum teams around. Good tunes, too.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another note (as the regulars on this section would probably appreciate it): who here has heard/picked up the reissue of Gwigwi Mrwebi's Mbaqanga Songs? It's post-Blue Notes, pre-BoB material (with early versions of some BoB tunes), but the points of reference here are a little oblique... it might fit in with some of Masakela's work (the post-Jazz Epistle scene), as it is certainly along the lines of afro-pop--but the energy level here is a lot closer to Pukwana's Spear albums. It's a beautiful set that always sits just this side of tipping out...

I *finally* got this one yesterday from Honest Jon's. I've only played it 3 times but I'm loving it. Thanks for the recommendation.

Yeah - this is a nice one! Lots of great Dudu. And some fine Caribbean drumming!

For the past couple of months I've been listening to Andrea Centazzo / Mitteleuropa Orchestra: The Complete Recordings, and it is a very interesting listen. Counter to, for want of a better term I would call, "The New York School of Large Groups," the Mitteleuropa Orchestra has a much more composed feel to it, and I'm becoming convinced that Andrea Centazzo is very much an underrated musician/composer in todays music world. There are such artists as Franz Koglmann, Theo Jorgensmann, Gino Commisso, and a host of others. If you like large group music, that has a free jazz/composed feel to them, this box set is worth checking out. One word of warning: It is very poorly packaged, the cds come in a six-pack dvd case, and the liners look like the secretary went to the back room copier and then put them in the case. When it came to my home, the interior of the box was all broken up, so I had to buy a new, sturdier box for the cds. Given that though, I really enjoy the music.

501f.jpg

Edited by Matthew

Another note (as the regulars on this section would probably appreciate it): who here has heard/picked up the reissue of Gwigwi Mrwebi's Mbaqanga Songs? It's post-Blue Notes, pre-BoB material (with early versions of some BoB tunes), but the points of reference here are a little oblique... it might fit in with some of Masakela's work (the post-Jazz Epistle scene), as it is certainly along the lines of afro-pop--but the energy level here is a lot closer to Pukwana's Spear albums. It's a beautiful set that always sits just this side of tipping out...

I *finally* got this one yesterday from Honest Jon's. I've only played it 3 times but I'm loving it. Thanks for the recommendation.

Yeah - this is a nice one! Lots of great Dudu. And some fine Caribbean drumming!

I'm glad y'all dig this one, because it's about as far on the periphery of Funny Rat territory as any Funny Rat-interest album could be. It's interesting to consider just how advanced some of the folks on this album were at that time (Dudu, Chris McGregor, Ronnie Beer), recording what is for all intents and purposes a specialty pop album. Having listened to the Brotherhood, the Blue Notes, and Dudu and Chris's leader work, Mbaqanga Songs is so inside it's outside ( :rsly: ).

Goddamnit, DMG frustrates me to no end. If you ever walk into the shop, it's nigh-impossible to figure out what is and what isn't a legitimate issue--BUT it's one of the most convenient spots (mail order or otherwise) for many legitimate issues. I thought for a while that the blog craze would cut into the whole bootlegging bit, but DMG just keeps trucking along (outlasting some of the more active elements on the blogosphere, apparently).

-A strange and tangentially associated issue: Chris McGregor pops up on Nick Drake's Bryter Layter--well-recorded and distinctive as ever, but all the Brotherhood and solo recordings in the world making you think Chris could do a lot more than unload fills on a track that might have been better off sans frills.

I just want to say how much I love this cd by Perry Robinson, Nobu Stowe, and Andrea Centazzo, The Soul in the Mist, for me, this is the best jazz release of the year. Robinson is very creative in his clarinet playing, and it's nice to hear him since his is under recorded for so good a player. Nobu Stowe piano playing is unique and understated, nice touches, kind of a minimalistic style, but very effective. Centazzo wrote all the music played and adds his percussion style to move things along. It's just beautiful, thoughtful music, that is worth hearing.

141f.jpg

I just want to say how much I love this cd by Perry Robinson, Nobu Stowe, and Andrea Centazzo, The Soul in the Mist, for me, this is the best jazz release of the year. Robinson is very creative in his clarinet playing, and it's nice to hear him since his is under recorded for so good a player. Nobu Stowe piano playing is unique and understated, nice touches, kind of a minimalistic style, but very effective. Centazzo wrote all the music played and adds his percussion style to move things along. It's just beautiful, thoughtful music, that is worth hearing.

141f.jpg

WOW! When did that come out?? I saw that line up last year and was very impressed.

I'm glad y'all dig this one, because it's about as far on the periphery of Funny Rat territory as any Funny Rat-interest album could be. It's interesting to consider just how advanced some of the folks on this album were at that time (Dudu, Chris McGregor, Ronnie Beer), recording what is for all intents and purposes a specialty pop album. Having listened to the Brotherhood, the Blue Notes, and Dudu and Chris's leader work, Mbaqanga Songs is so inside it's outside ( :rsly: ).

Holy crap, too bad I had to read the rat again tonight... just sending in an order for the Gwigwi and the first two of the "London is the Place" comps - wanted the second of those for a while... the other two look good as well (the Ethiopian!), but I thought I'd proceed chronologically...

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like te Ayler Records has new music released every week by now.

Latest addition is

ayldl-075.jpg

Drake / Gahnold / Parker

The Last Dances

aylDL- 075

William Parker, b

Hamid Drake, dr,

Anders Gahnold, as

1. Oh Shit 12:48

2. Slow Dance 11:49

3. Bow Dance 23:09

4. Dusk 12,36

Total time: 60:30

Recorded at Flash Music Studio, Stockholm , Sweden on April 15, 2002

#1 and #4 composed by Gahnold. # 2 and #3 composed by Parker (centeringmusic/bmi),

Drake (Smiling Foreheads/BMI) and Gahnold (STIM/ncb)

Recording by Göran Freese. Mastering by Per Ruthström

Cover art by Åke Bjurhamn. Layout by Stephane Berland

AYVI system with photographs and videos (code 0443255)

Free downloading:

To get these releases for free, or any of our Download – On ly (DL) releases which you’ll find at our DL catalogue at: http://www.ayler.com/dls.htm (Note: 3 pages!), for review/radio air play, please send us an e-mail and we will send you a link.

If downloading is not possible, we will send you hard copies.

ayler@ayler.com

www.ayler.com

I am not familiar with Hopscotch releases.

I wasn't either. I just picked up Cooper-Moore and Assif Tsahar's "Tells Untold" on Hopscotch, which is a label I've never heard of before, and was amazed at how many releases they have from artists like Hugh Ragin, Hamid Drake etc. Their website looks pretty nice www.hopscotchrecords.com which is sprawled along the bottom of the paper sleeve. Looks like a pretty cool label.

• 5 months later...

this was a thread that i loved to read- even though i did not participate in often. so much was said about artists i had never heard before. i hope it will be revived!

Oh yes indeed. There's a whole non-mainstream Jazz world that really never gets any discussion, mostly because no one knows about it, you really have to be an insider to be hip to it...

this was a thread that i loved to read- even though i did not participate in often. so much was said about artists i had never heard before. i hope it will be revived!

Oh yes indeed. There's a whole non-mainstream Jazz world that really never gets any discussion, mostly because no one knows about it, you really have to be an insider to be hip to it...

Let's find those folks.