Guest Chaney

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm a bit baffled by the upcoming Atavistic Unheard Music Series Brotzmann release. Out of the unavailable Brotz they could choose to reissue this is what they are focusing on? It's nice that Machine Gun will be available domestically, but there are many albums of his that are far more "unheard" than Machine Gun.

MGalp262mini250.jpg

The Complete Machine Gun Sessions

"For this reissue, we have resequenced the CD as the original LP, self-produced and released on Brötzmann's own BRO label in 1968, followed by the two extant alternate takes. For comparison, UMS has included the live version, recorded two months earlier at the Frankfurt Jazz Festival, which adds Gerd Dudek to the ensemble." - John Corbett / Chicago, May, 2007

I am excited about the Sun Ra reissues. I've heard Strange Strings and Night of the Purple Moon, but it will be nice to own real copies. Also, the Purple Moon bonus tracks should be interesting: "To show something of the origins of Ra's keyboard playing in this period, we have added three incredible home recordings, made in 1964, on which Ra pummels a lightly amplified Wurlitzer electric piano, and on the first of them he adds the startling sound of Celeste."

Edited by John B

Jesus... one alternate is already on Fuck de Boere, and the rest is on the (as I understand it) in-print FMP CD. I've clamored on and on and on before about how bullshit some of that UMS stuff is, but this may even beat out Starship Beer...

I love Peter's music, and that's a fine LP, but I've got a stack of live Brotzmann group live material that hasn't seen the light of day in any proper form. Most of it sounds excellent, and yet Atavistic isn't doing anything like collecting this stuff and putting it out. A 5CD unissued tracks/concerts compilation would be really something - say, covering 1966-1976? Corbs undoubtedly has the German radio contacts, no?

I assume you all are aware that Potlatch has another June sale going on now... ordered five more, as if I need them... and gave all the ones I have a spin again - will do a little write-up and add some samples soon on my blog, in case you're interested!

The Lazro/Zingaro duo, "Hauts plateaux", is about to go OOP - act quick, it might be the best of them all! It's fantastic, to say the least!

Also that site here: www.discplus.ch, in fact does deliver the OOP hatOLOGY discs I mentioned in that post on my blog - I got "Rara Avis" and "Root of the Problem" yesterday (along with 10 or 12 other hatO discs, all for that tiny sweet price)!

I'm a bit baffled by the upcoming Atavistic Unheard Music Series Brotzmann release. Out of the unavailable Brotz they could choose to reissue this is what they are focusing on? It's nice that Machine Gun will be available domestically, but there are many albums of his that are far more "unheard" than Machine Gun.

MGalp262mini250.jpg

The Complete Machine Gun Sessions

"For this reissue, we have resequenced the CD as the original LP, self-produced and released on Brötzmann's own BRO label in 1968, followed by the two extant alternate takes. For comparison, UMS has included the live version, recorded two months earlier at the Frankfurt Jazz Festival, which adds Gerd Dudek to the ensemble." - John Corbett / Chicago, May, 2007

I am excited about the Sun Ra reissues. I've heard Strange Strings and Night of the Purple Moon, but it will be nice to own real copies. Also, the Purple Moon bonus tracks should be interesting: "To show something of the origins of Ra's keyboard playing in this period, we have added three incredible home recordings, made in 1964, on which Ra pummels a lightly amplified Wurlitzer electric piano, and on the first of them he adds the startling sound of Celeste."

Is that a 'new' cover for machine Gun? The original cover is way more badass. It looks like UMS is becoming the new place for Sun Ra reissues. Does that mean that Evidence has officially stopped reissuing Sun Ra albums?

Thought people might find this worthwhile:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=m8PIuKXCz88

The opening voice is Pauline Oliveros; background music by Jim McAuley; after that sequence there's an unedited solo bass performance by Okkyung Lee, who's a pretty fine exponent of the scorched-earth school of bass improv. This is material from a forthcoming documentary on free improvisation by Steve Elkins.

Who is Steve Elkins? I'd be interested in screening this at Filmforum as part of a series of such films.

My "Rara Avis" and "Root of the Problem" hatOLOGY discs have already arrived. Gave the Clusone a spin and love it as much as I did last time (had it on CDR, copied from a library that had a copy).

About the Potlatch sale, check out this post @ my blog with short reviews and look for the next post in an hour or so with some samples from these 8 discs! (crappy 128 kbs samples - I want people to buy the actual discs!)

Thought people might find this worthwhile:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=m8PIuKXCz88

The opening voice is Pauline Oliveros; background music by Jim McAuley; after that sequence there's an unedited solo bass performance by Okkyung Lee, who's a pretty fine exponent of the scorched-earth school of bass improv. This is material from a forthcoming documentary on free improvisation by Steve Elkins.

Who is Steve Elkins? I'd be interested in screening this at Filmforum as part of a series of such films.

I don't know much about Elkins aside from the fact that he's making the film & also that he plays in a rock band. The film is still unfinished, but I gather it's getting closer....... Here's his gallery of stills from the footage he's put together:

http://www.elkins.smugmug.com/gallery/599056#25217677

There's a contact email address on the homepage if you want to drop him a line.

My "Rara Avis" and "Root of the Problem" hatOLOGY discs have already arrived. Gave the Clusone a spin and love it as much as I did last time (had it on CDR, copied from a library that had a copy).

About the Potlatch sale, check out this post @ my blog with short reviews and look for the next post in an hour or so with some samples from these 8 discs! (crappy 128 kbs samples - I want people to buy the actual discs!)

some samples up here, now: link - note that they're encoded at a crappy 128 are indeed just tasters that ought to bring some interest in the real thing! Support the artists as well as Jacques and his label by buying the actual product!

Sorry I'm a day late and a dollar short to comb through 500 pages of this Hysterical Mouse thread, but which Clusone 3 disk did you pick up? I have Soft Light and Sweet Music, and like that one quite a bit. I should add that I'm not familiar with the other Clusone titles-is it the Rara Avis one?

Edited by Holy Ghost

Sorry I'm a day late and a dollar short to comb through 500 pages of this Hysterical Mouse thread, but which Clusone 3 disk did you pick up? I have Soft Light and Sweet Music, and like that one quite a bit. I should add that I'm not familiar with the other Clusone titles-is it the Rara Avis one?

Yup, "Rara Avis" (title mentioned in the post you quoted, but I didn't bring together titles and artists...). The other one, "An Hour With" is still around, too, but "Rara Avis" had been listed as OOP for years and now suddenly it isn't - probably they found another box of it somewhere... I only with the first McPhee solo ("As Serious as Your Life", hatO 514) would turn up again, too! Also Shipp's "Multiplicator Table" I missed, but at least I got a CDR of it...

I also miss Gregorio's "Ellipsis" and Mat Maneri's "Acceptance" but I'm less sure I need these.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If anyone in the UK cares... Funny Rat is on sale for £8.25 from Sound 323 (phone or email only - it's in their 'sale' email').

Since posting this message quite a few people have mailed me asking what this one looks like:

brotzm_funnyrat-cd.jpg

Since posting this image I have recieved many requests for personnel details:

Peter Brotzmann: tarogato, bass clarinet, tenor sax

Shoji Hano: drums, percussion

Further requests have been for label information (Improvised Music from Japan) serial number (IMJ-512) country of origin (Japan) date of recording (October 10, 1991) format (card sleeve) and track listing [Funny Rat 1 (24:42) Snake and Sheep (11:16) We All Like Mountain Rabbit (18:12) Funny Rat 3 (5:47) Funny Rat 2 (12:21)]. I have also been asked what it sounds like and whether it is any good.

Recently given this one a couple of listens.

eman4129.jpg

Emanem 4129

Keith (guitar) is Canadian, a former rocker, and the new boy on the block. Oswald, who plays alto sax here, and also Candian, is known for decades of 'sampling' work (he calls it Pluderphonics and rejects thes term 'sample' - in any case its all sax here). Roger Turner (Dr, perc) is British and has cropped up with the likes of Coxhill, Bailey and Butcher over the years.

First listen I thought there wasn't much going on, but next time around I found a lot of variety within the group's temporary 'language'. They had played four gigs before going into the studio and played another couple afterward. This might be a good sort of arc for a temporary improv agglomeration.

Anyone else heard this or know more about these musicians?

Yup, "Rara Avis" (title mentioned in the post you quoted, but I didn't bring together titles and artists...). The other one, "An Hour With" is still around, too, but "Rara Avis" had been listed as OOP for years and now suddenly it isn't - probably they found another box of it somewhere... I only with the first McPhee solo ("As Serious as Your Life", hatO 514) would turn up again, too! Also Shipp's "Multiplicator Table" I missed, but at least I got a CDR of it...

I also miss Gregorio's "Ellipsis" and Mat Maneri's "Acceptance" but I'm less sure I need these.

I can hook you up with a bonafide Multiplication Table -- PM me when you have a moment.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Another attempt to raise the rat's profile.

Anyone else heard William Parker's 'For Percy Heath' on Victo? It is a document of his 2005 Victoriaville appearance with a big group as follows:

Sabir Mateen : saxophone ténor, clarinette alto

Darryl Foster : saxophones ténor et soprano

Rob Brown : saxophone alto

Charles Waters : saxophone alto, clarinette

Dave Sewelson : saxophone baryton

Roy Campbell : trompette

Matt Lavelle : trompette

Lewis Barnes : trompette

Steve Swell : trombone

Alex Lodico : trombone

Masahiko Kono : trombone

Dave Hofstra : tuba

Andrew Barker : batterie

William Parker : contrebasse, composition, direction

It got slated a bit for being chaotic, but I thought it was rather interesting as a way of doing big band improv. Not as hard to follow as some made out, mainly riffs and solos, but still probably quite a challenge to organise and hard to work out how anyone knows when to come in. Andrew Barker does a pretty good job of holding the whole thing together.

So worth a few listens, I'd say, even if it doesn't necessarily grab you and the sonics are only so-so.

• 3 weeks later...

I just recently received Olaf Ton's self-titled disc in a trade with Gokhan. This is a fun listen! This band is from Berlin, and apparently has just 2 releases. Piano-less quintet (trumpet, sax/clarinet, trombone, bass, & drums). Anybody else like this?

lr381.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Another note (as the regulars on this section would probably appreciate it): who here has heard/picked up the reissue of Gwigwi Mrwebi's Mbaqanga Songs? It's post-Blue Notes, pre-BoB material (with early versions of some BoB tunes), but the points of reference here are a little oblique... it might fit in with some of Masakela's work (the post-Jazz Epistle scene), as it is certainly along the lines of afro-pop--but the energy level here is a lot closer to Pukwana's Spear albums. It's a beautiful set that always sits just this side of tipping out...

I *finally* got this one yesterday from Honest Jon's. I've only played it 3 times but I'm loving it. Thanks for the recommendation.