Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

Soon to be released on RASTASCAN:

brd060.gif

Anthony Braxton: Nine Compositions (DVD) 2003

This release includes 6.5 hours of music and features Taylor Ho Bynum, Greg Kelley, John Shiurba, Scott Rosenberg, Dan Plonsey, Gino Robair, Jay Rosen, Kyle Bruckmann, Liz Allbee, Justin Yang, ma++ Ingalls, and Sara Schoenbeck.

The primary territories and ensembles are:

Composition No. 328 (12tet)

Composition No. 72H (Trio)

Composition No. 74E (Trio)

Composition No. 23E (Trio)

Composition No. 190 (13tet)

Composition No. 75 (Trio)

Composition No. 292 (12tet)

Composition No. 322 (Quartet)

Composition No. 327 (12tet)

Welcome back.

Thanks for the news.

I was just listening to Rastascan's "Six Compositions" tonight.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Rastacan website really doesn't offer that much information. A packed release, to be sure--but I'm always up for seeing the Braxton ensembles in action.

For that matter: I'm a total neophyte in the way of Ghost Trance Music, but I'm digging into Four Compositions (GTM) 2000 (on Delmark) right now. What the ensemble lacks in "tightness" (a necessary element of the music, as the group really wasn't familiar with the compositions in advance) it compensates for in the way of aplomb and daring. I can think of few other musicians so given to the struggle against complacency and predictability, and it's certainly recognizable in the theory of this performance context.

Now, I still think it's possible to split the difference (e.g., the Crispell/Dresser/Hemingway group), but those groups are once in a blue moon. I think it's just as fun, if not more fun, to hear musicians struggle to think through a performance (as with GTM (2000)).

These days, anyway, I'll gladly trade riskless craftsmanship and calculation for a shambles of an experiment...

Can I drop a shameless plug in?

Very excited to say my first album should be coming out in a few months on FMR, featuring Taylor Ho Bynum, Harris Eisenstadt, and Dominic Lash - 'The Convergence Quartet - Live in Oxford'...will post more when I have a release date, etc!

It was completely fascinating talking with Taylor about working with Braxton. My awe of AB increases with every little thing I hear.

Very excited to say my first album should be coming out in a few months on FMR, featuring Taylor Ho Bynum, Harris Eisenstadt, and Dominic Lash - 'The Convergence Quartet - Live in Oxford'...will post more when I have a release date, etc!

It was completely fascinating talking with Taylor about working with Braxton. My awe of AB increases with every little thing I hear.

Start your own thread about the new release!

Will do...thought I'd overcome my bashfulness by first burying the news in 'Funny Rat' ;)

Will probably actually do it in a couple of days, to see if I can get a prospective release date...may have a cover as well before too long!

The Rastacan website really doesn't offer that much information.

A year ago, posting to the Braxton Yahoo group, Gino Robair explained:

It'll be a regular DVD, compatible with all DVD players. There will not be

any video on it: it will be all music. (Okay, there might be a tiny bit of

video material from the studio...depending on disc space.)

For you tech-minded folks, this won't be a DVD-A, but rather, a DVD-V (the

same spec used for movie releases). The resolution is 24-bit, 48 kHz.

The reason we are doing this as a DVD is to avoid releasing a 7-CD box set

(too expensive to make and ship), and to avoid cutting the 90-minute pieces

in half. Although we don't have the final price set, it certainly isn't

going to be anywhere near the cost of a 7-CD box set.

and:

Let me clarify: at this point, the DVD will likely have only music on it, to

avoid possible incompatibilities with older DVD players.

However, I'm arranging with Tim Perkis to put some choice bits online of the

video content he has: there are some fine moments where Anthony explains the

strategies to the ensemble during the sound check. As far as I know, there

is very little on videotape or film of him talking about the nuts and bolts

of his musical structures, so it's a real treat.

FWIW, the video footage was shot as a part of Perkis's documentary Noisy

People: www.noisypeople.com

But I'm not sure if any of the Nine Compositions session will be in the

film, although he shot roughly an hour of footage of the sound check.

Edited by jasonguthartz

The Rastacan website really doesn't offer that much information.

In a posting a while back to the Braxton Yahoo group, Gino Robair explained that it's an audio-only DVD.

So I have to play it thru my tv speakers to get the "details"?

Another example of a "clueless provider" jumping beyond the customers.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

Damn, Red. Sounds like things are moving along for you...

Somthing else: I heard Eisenstadt with Paul Rutherford and Torsten Muller something like a year ago (I sprung for Sam Rivers's Vista not long afterward). He's an interesting percussionist, to say the least--not overpowering, but very propulsive. He's got a balance of transparency and power that remind me of Louis Moholo-Moholo a bit.

Obviously I'm slightly biased, but...

Harris is phenomenal. It's really interesting you should say that about Louis - we chatted a lot about him, and Harris admires him an awful lot - they both have that completely transparent thing going on. Oxley is another major influence, and Barry Altschul was a teacher.

What is amazing about Harris is that he's synthesised so much into his sound: he's got that 'European' thing down, he's got a beautiful West African influence (do you know 'Jalolu' on CIMP with Taylor, Roy Campbell, Paul Smoker and Andy Laster? Every bit as good IMHO as the lineup would suggest!), he's got serious funk, and wonderful, wonderful time, etc. etc. But again, he's made these things his own - he's not just a guy who can go to these territories 'if need be' - they're all part of his language.

I love his composition as well (check out 'The Soul and Gone' as well) - his contribution to the album is built around a completely awesome vamp - on paper, a very complex set of rhythms, but he makes it sound as inevitable as a boogie left hand...

I've certainly never enjoyed playing with any drummer as much. He's totally serene at the kit, and as supportive a musician as one could ever wish to play with - he hears *everything*.

To boot, you won't find a nicer guy!

Taylor is a similarly wonderful guy. And likewise, a monster musician - I could care less about his stupendous facilityaround his horns, if it wasn't for the fact that he's got so many damn ideas on all of them!

He's likewise got so much stuff in his playing...I hear a lot of early Ellington players in there (he's got some extraordinary stuff with mutes...) - Miley, and particularly Rex Stewart. And I won't forget warming up before the London leg of of tour, then hearing him on the stage blowing note for note through 'West End Blues'!

He's a fine composer too - check out his recent 'Spider Monkey Strings' recording, which blew me away. One of his contributions to our album is a warped funk tune, spelled with free duos; and the other is simply one of the most elegantly constructed 5 minutes of music imaginable...there's also a version of it on his forthcoming sextet CD , so I'm really looking forward to comparing!

Anyway, forgive me the superlatives...but it was a true privilege working with these guys. They're both only 6/7 years my senior, but even then, completely inspirational. Very much looking forward to our next opportunity to tour!

p.s. haven't heard the record with Rutherford and Muller made on that tour - I believe it's on Konnex?

Edited by Red

Red: I didn't even know that they had recorded on that tour. That must be killer. Interesting that, when I saw him, Rutherford had the better part of his recent catalog in tow; I purchased a copy of Chicago 2002 myself. Funny--he had a pretty "in jokey" sweater on: it said something like "Great White Honky Music" (a nice nod to the Americans...).

I like Ho Bynum, too--a phenomenal player, and there's no doubt that he's mastered a lot of the vocabulary. I had sort of a mixed reaction to True Events (a recent duo w/Tomas Fujiwara, who's a great player as well)--one of the rare brass/drum duos. Bynum and Fujiwara get along well, although I feel as if the album mines obvious territory a little too much in spaces. Regardless, Ho Bynum is a total scholar, and it's nice to see someone who's really studied and sought to apply the "often talked about but seldom confronted" lessons of the past couple of decades.

Edited by ep1str0phy

Regardless, Ho Bynum is a total scholar, and it's nice to see someone who's really studied and sought to apply the "often talked about but seldom confronted" lessons of the past couple of decades.

Total scholar indeed - dazzlingly intelligent on so much of the music. He writes a very nice blog, which has fascinating insights inter alia on working with Cecil Taylor and Braxton, etc.

I haven't heard the duet recordings, but I'm becoming increasingly fond of his work. I enjoy his contributions to the blogosphere--it's nice that there's a hub of improvisers industrious enough for regular reporting to the community. Bynum did a nice bit on the Olu Dara/Phillip Wilson hat duo on Destination: out a while ago.

Why Yes!!! We wouldn't want Funny Rat to get off topic!!! :P

• 2 weeks later...

Going to see this on Monday...

Monday, March 26 | 8pm

INSTANT COMPOSERS POOL (ICP) ORCHESTRA

with

Misha Mengelberg, piano; Michael Moore, saxophone/clarinet; Ab Baars,

saxophone/clarinet; Tobias Delius, tenor saxophone; Wolter Wierbos,

trombone; Thomas Heberer, trumpet; Mary Oliver, violin/viola; Tristan

Honsinger, cello; Ernst Glerum, bass; and Han Bennink, drums

Bodek Lounge at Houston Hall | 3417 Spruce Street

Free Admission

Read the Philadelphia City Paper preview:

http://www.citypaper.net/articles/2007/03/22/all-of-a-sudden

Read the Philadelphia Weekly preview:

http://philadelphiaweekly.com/view.php?id=14266

"As much as any group anywhere, the Instant Composers Pool Orchestra

encompasses a full range of modern musics: Ellington and Monk, Kurt Weill

and European dance band music of a lost age, Weberny chamber music, South

African kwela, free improvisation, conducted improvisation, interactive

games, counterpoint and simultaneity, catchy melodies, pastel harmonies,

order and built - in chaos," writes Kevin Whitehead in his book, New Dutch

Swing. "ICP's mix is perplexing in the best sense: the music doesn't give up

its secrets on first hearing, or second, or third. It keeps you coming back.

This is jazz/improvised music at its most deft and sophisticated." Together

since 1967, the 10-piece ICP is co-led by Misha Mengleberg and Han Bennick

and features some of the best Dutch and European improvisers performing

today.

brotz_balls_ums233.jpg

A brief reminder of fundamentals to show Tony we haven't forgotten how it's done! Welcome back man! Hope you can hang around.

(oh, and UMS rules!)

PS Come to think about it I am considering forgetting how it's done, so that I can have the pleasure of reminding myself all over again! Case in point for this UMS classic.

Edited by David Ayers

I have the original FMP vinyl and have not found that one as impressive as the stuff with Mangelsdorff, or even Pica-Pica for that matter. Just my $0.02... carry on.

hey! It has a different flavor - depends what you are looking for, maybe...

In a different vein, anyone listen to this kind of ambient thing by Outward Sound Ensemble (Canada) with some Brits:

thunder.jpg

Thunder in a Clear Sky: OSE and special guests* (OS 0509) 77:04

Herb Bayley: trombone, trumpet, percussives

Chris Meloche: electroacoustic prepared guitar, percussives

Recorded live at Over the Top, Sheffield, England July 2, 2005 (Chris Trent) Herb Bayley overdubbed in London, Canada at Rough Cut Studios

I don't really know anything about this British label - it is my first of theirs.

Edited by David Ayers

I have the original FMP vinyl and have not found that one as impressive as the stuff with Mangelsdorff, or even Pica-Pica for that matter. Just my $0.02... carry on.

Baby Sommer is the bomb on Pica Pica!

I love Baby Sommer - been recently checking out the Berlin album with Cecil and 'Touch the Earth...' with Leo Smith and Kowald. Sommer's fantastic on both IMHO!