MLB 2009 Season

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Phillies would have swept the Yankees if not for Bradley Thomas Lidge. However, I don't see that 3 game series back in May having any relevance now. Both teams are playing much, much better. I'm hoping that we get a good October(November?) Classic that isn't decided by some ump's blown call.

Five early World Series storylines for the Yankees-Phillies

...and what about Pedro Martinez, former Bosox nemesis of the Yankees, probably starting twice in this series--quite possibly both times at Yankee Stadium?

And will Girardi pitch CC on three days' rest twice in a row? Will the Phillies match him with Lee each time? (Assuming this series goes 7 games, which wouldn't surprise anybody.)

How many home runs will get hit? NY didn't have to worry too much about the long ball against L.A., but Philly was second only to the Yanks this year in team homers.

Star power: Phillies, Yanks set for World Series

Edited by ghost of miles

Hmmm--not down with the NY Post's taunting arrogance, but it kinda goes along with everything else I dislike about that paper. Phils are defending world champs and if I were making bets...well, I'd never bet against the team I like anyway, but I might be giving Philadelphia just slightly better odds. To me, this WS has the potential makings of a mid-1950s Yankee-Dodger-style 7-game barn-burner.

I had forgotten that the White Sox vs. Astros was a sweep. I wouldn't call it a clunker though. Aside from the novelty of one virgin team and another that hadn't won in a very long time, those were some very tense games. Ideally we all want a 7 game series with close games, but I'll take a short series with close games over long series with nothing but blow outs any day.

I don't care what the Times says about clunker series or ratings. The White Sox-Astros series was great! And I was for Houston! You had the drama of the White Sox' first series since throwing one, and Houston's first appearance ever. Each of the games could have gone either way.

I'm a 'Stros fan, and even though that was their first appearance in the WS, it was disappointing to me because they were swept. As if they didn't belong there. Would have been nice to have a win or two at least, to validate their achievement better.

I know what you mean about being swept, but 4-0 on a page in a record book meant nothing to me and didn't even touch the tip of the iceberg for that story since every single game was so dramatic and could have gone either way. The sportswriters were extremely unimaginative reporting on that series. Ran out of angles after having written about the Red Sox, I guess.

What'll be the angle this year? Maybe A-Rod (he did it in the playoffs - but can he do it in the WS?). Maybe a diss on the NL? (Phils play like they are in the REAL league). Who knows.

I will watch but with the volume on the TV off. The combination of that god damn Blackberry Beatles abomination getting played 18 times and Tim "captain f-ing obvious" McCarver butchering the english language will make me postal.

For the Phillies they need Cole Hammels to be Cole Hammels of 08 not 09.

For some reason I still like them in this series.