MLB 2009 Season

Yanks are 7-0 against the Twins this year.

Up over and out.

In 2008, the Angels were 8-1 against Boston. How did that turn out in the Division Series?

In 2007, the Yankees were 6-0 against the Indians. How did that turn out in the Division Series?

In 2006, the Yankees were 5-2 against the Tigers. How did that turn out in the Division Series?

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

BTW, on TBS there are three guys in suits and then there is David Wells, dressed like a fucking bum.

Maybe someone should have told him that Babe Ruth was a clotheshorse way back when. Or TBS should have told him, "we've got plenty of talking heads - wear a suit on the air or sayonara."

Judging by the fact it took the Twinkies 12 innings to beat the fading Tigers...I'd say that's a fair bet.

How the fuck does a single game indicate how a series should turn out? The Twins have won 17 of their last 21.

You know....I was almost going to root for the BoSox, too.

Judging by the fact it took the Twinkies 12 innings to beat the fading Tigers...I'd say that's a fair bet.

How the fuck does a single game indicate how a series should turn out? The Twins have won 17 of their last 21.

OH NO! What will we ever do?

OH NO! What will we ever do?

When you have enemies....who needs friends?

Righty-O, Danny.

Up over and out.

In 2008, the Angels were 8-1 against Boston. How did that turn out in the Division Series?

In 2007, the Yankees were 6-0 against the Indians. How did that turn out in the Division Series?

In 2006, the Yankees were 5-2 against the Tigers. How did that turn out in the Division Series?

I just said they were 7-0. I didn't say it meant anything.

Late breaking news. Make that 8-0. Someone want to tell my why Ron Gardenhire didn't walk A-Rod with Jeter on second, two outs and a left handed hitter (Matsui) coming to bat?

Bill Simmons, the Sports Guy on ESPN, said Gardenhire looks like he should be wearing a wife beater T-shirt and scratching a lottery ticket. Perfect.

Up over and out.

Great game for the Yanks tonight--CC had a good start, Jeter turned in a Captain October performance, A-Rod broke his playoff hitless-with-runners-on streak and drove in two runs, including a key single that set up Matsui's two-run homer... not sure I would've brought in Rivera to close out the 9th, but I guess with all of the time off Girardi wanted to make sure he got some work. Mostly just glad the Twins didn't steal a Cinderella morning-after one from NY.

Edited by ghost of miles

Great game for the Yanks tonight--CC had a good start, Jeter turned in a Captain October night, A-Rod broke his playoff hitless-with-runners-on streak and drove in two runs, including a key single that set up Matsui's two-run homer... not sure I would've brought in Rivera to close out the 9th, but I guess with all of the time off Girardi wanted to make sure he got some work. Mostly just glad the Twins didn't steal a Cinderella morning-after one from NY.

And they never will.

If you have to struggle against a team who made a historic fall in the standings...you ain't shit.

They proved that tonight.

They are out-classed.

But anything can happen in the playoffs, and I'll agree w/Dan that regular-season match-up records are no indicator whatsoever of what might transpire in a 5-game or 7-game playoff series. Even over the course of a regular season...NY just could not beat the Bosox the first half of the year, and then the second half they seemingly just could not lose. Tonight by all rights should've been a slam-dunk for the Yanks, given that the Twins were coming off a rollercoaster 12-inning season-on-the-line marathon. Now they'll get another day of rest, and who knows? They pull one out on Friday and head back to two games at the Metrodome and suddenly it could be NY in a bad spot.

I guess I'm just a pessimist who lives/loves to be proved wrong. :) And granted, NY does have a pretty awesome (in the old-fashioned sense of the word, as well as the new) line-up...as one of the announcers pointed out tonight, when your 8th-place batter had 29 HR and 82 RBI on the season, there's not much of a let-up for a pitcher. And it was Swisher who had what proved to be the eventual game-winner.

Congrats to the Twins for making the playoffs. I only caught part of the extra inning action--a very exciting game played by two teams that definitely wanted it. Only a snob would really think otherwise. Glad to see the Mariners have a successful season, esp Franklin Gutierrez. I was always high on him, but he never quite put it together in Cleveland.

Good luck to most of the playoff teams most of the time. I'll be rooting for ex-Indians to perform well, and small market teams.

The season from hell in Cleveland is finally over. Thank God. It still disgusts/frustrates me deeply about how the talent has been cleared out. It even disgusts Victor Martinez. Should of contended for the Division this year. Now will not contend next year either. Traded established stars for prospects (gotta do that in small markets, and then hope to get super lucky). Bunch of them (basically everyone they got for Cliff Lee) currently is injured. Yeah, doesn't matter if 2011 is the first season to care about, but...

So now your "Playoff Indians" constructed entirely from ex-Indians that made the playoffs this year. Could give real playoff teams a decent run. Doubt a similarly impressive lineup could be constructed from other non-playoff teams. Bullpen may be a bit threadbare, but rotation is solid. Sad that there are this many Indians castoffs.

1. Ben Francisco, cf

2. Mark DeRosa, ss

3. Victor Martinez, c

4. Manny Ramirez, lf

5. Jim Thome, 1b

6. Ryan Ludwick, rf

7. Ronnie Belliard, 2b

8. Casey Blake, 3b

Rotation: CC Sabathia, Cliff Lee, Carl Pavano, Paul Byrd

Bullpen: Rafael Betancourt, Guillermo Mota, Matt Herges, Chad Durbin, Juan Rincon, Fernando Cabrera

coaching staff: Charlie Manuel, Dave Duncan, John Farrell, Terry Francona, Alfredo Griffin, Glenallen Hill, Rich Dauer

The Browns are also abysmally bad. Life is too short. In Cleveland, NBA cannot start soon enough.

But anything can happen in the playoffs, and I'll agree w/Dan that regular-season match-up records are no indicator whatsoever of what might transpire in a 5-game or 7-game playoff series. Even over the course of a regular season...NY just could not beat the Bosox the first half of the year, and then the second half they seemingly just could not lose. Tonight by all rights should've been a slam-dunk for the Yanks, given that the Twins were coming off a rollercoaster 12-inning season-on-the-line marathon. Now they'll get another day of rest, and who knows? They pull one out on Friday and head back to two games at the Metrodome and suddenly it could be NY in a bad spot.

I guess I'm just a pessimist who lives/loves to be proved wrong. :) And granted, NY does have a pretty awesome (in the old-fashioned sense of the word, as well as the new) line-up...as one of the announcers pointed out tonight, when your 8th-place batter had 29 HR and 82 RBI on the season, there's not much of a let-up for a pitcher. And it was Swisher who had what proved to be the eventual game-winner.

Where I agree that anything can happen in the playoffs, I disagree that the regular season is no indicator.

Sure, Danny will dredge up a few meaningless statistics to that effect, but if a team has your number the odds are against you....no matter when they play.

I think history will back me up on this one.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Funny, the three examples cited all ended up with the "underdog" winning. And in 2004, the Yankees hadn't lost an important series to the Red Sox in about forever. That didn't turn out so well either.

But I do hope you are right - the Red Sox have beaten the Angels in the post-season the last four times they met, in 1986, 2004, 2007 and 2008. Let's see if they can make it five.

What a brutal way to lose and fall behind 0-2. Holliday, brought in for his bat, drops a routine liner with two outs in the ninth and the next thing you know, the Dodgers are storming the field. I'm just glad Loretta came up with the hit and the game doesn't intrude on the Sox - Angels start.

While I picked the Cards all the way to the Series, so this would royally fuck up my results in the pool, I can't say I'd be remotely disappointed to see LaRussa and his ego, not to mention Smoltz and Lugo, out on their asses early. The reality is that a Red Sox-Dodger Series would be plenty entertaining if it comes to pass, with all of the storylines that would come with it.

I can't believe how slow David Ortiz's bat has gotten. He's more like Small Papi. I'm pretty sure I could get my fastball by him. And poor Mike Lowell. He runs like a tree. It's not often you see the hitter doubled up when he's only half way down the base line. Watching the Red Sux is like visiting a old folks home.

Up over and out.

Up over and out.

Yup, cliche warning but you can throw out the regular season. The dramatic one I can't forget is the '88 Mets beat the Dodgers (okay, I can forget specifics) something like 10-1 in the regular season.

I'm visiting my folks in Cardinal (and Cub) country and tonight I was with a friend at a bar with the Dodger-Cardinal game on. Whew, Noj, your team just ripped the heart out of the place. Living in Oregon which has some M's and some Giants and a smattering of A's fans I hadn't witnessed a playoff game with a hardcore fanbase in a while.

Uh oh, here comes some bombs from Dan, HR Tori Hunter.

What is up with the First Base Umpire , you know it's really ironic with all that talk that Schilling was doing this afternoon on WEEI about how bad these Umpires were. I know Schill is a motor mouth but it was really interesting to here an ex player

talk about Umps and which ones were good and which ones were assholes.(his words)

Mike Lowell looks like my grandfather and my grandfather is dead......it's the end of the line for Mike.

With his Hip so bad why is he playing so far off the line yea I know the Sox think the Angels can't get around on Lester but they did twice pulling the pitch right down the line.

i wouldn't be surprised tomorrow night with Youk at third Martinez at first and Tek behind the plate.

Edited by zen archer

Couldn't believe Holliday dropped that ball. The tension that fell over the Cards after that was palpable. Huge at bats for Blake, Belliard, and Loretta. Wouldn't have bet the Dodgers would be up 2-0 with those two outstanding pitchers taking the hill for the Cardinals. Great outing from Kershaw. Unbelievably lucky win!

I can't believe Vladimir Guerrero has survived as long as he has. He's got to be the dumbest (great) hitter I've ever seen. Angels get the bases loaded with two outs thanks to Torrey Hunter's excellent at bat against Lester, and VG just wastes the opportunity, swinging at just 3 pitches, only one of which looked remotely like a strike. The last pitch, a high fastball up around his eyes, a real sucker pitch on an 0-2 count.