MLB 2009 Season

I love how you make shit up as you go along. Your years are completely fucked up, and the Cubs are listed in NL for the entirety of their existence.

Nope.

1871-1875 National Base Ball Assn.

And the Cards still didn't join the National League until long after that in 1892. Though, to be fair, the Dodgers joined the NL in 1890.

Again, the Giants and Dodgers have the longest standing/continuous rivalry in the history of the MLB.

I was right and you were wrong. Look it up, Dan:

Source: Baseball History

Source: Baseball Reference

Edited by GoodSpeak

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A case can be made for the first great rivalry being the Cubs vs. Giants. At least in the deadball years it was intense. That one didn't last though.

I get the impression that the current Giant-Dodger rivalry is kind of like the White Sox-Cubs. White Sox fans hate the Cubs, Giants fans hate the Dodgers. Meanwhile Cubs fans barely know White Sox fans exist and it seems like current Dodger fans look upon the Giants with bemused indifference. It wasn't always that way for the Dodger fans, but it sure seems that way today.

Edited by Quincy

Man Detroit just lost and the Twins are having an easy time of it - soon a game back with two to play. And Detroit has Verlander scheduled for Sunday. They've got to win tomorrow and see the Twins lose - what the hell is the point if they have to use Verlander to make it in to face the playoffs? I'm sure there's no intent to use Verlander Sunday if he isn't necessary, but if they don't clinch Saturday they have to use him.

The MFY are going to have a cakewalk if they face the Twins or a Detroit team that can't throw Verlander twice.

This is really disgusting if the allegations are true.

I just saw this article a little earlier, and was going to post it as well.

Williams' head abused at facility

PHOENIX -- A new book by a former employee of Alcor, the company that froze Ted Williams' remains, alleges the Baseball Hall of Famer's body was mistreated by the company.

Larry Johnson says in the book "Frozen: My Journey Into the World of Cryonics, Deception and Death" that he watched an Alcor official swing a monkey wrench at Williams' frozen severed head to try to remove a tuna can stuck to it. The first swing accidentally struck the head, Johnson contends, and the second knocked the tuna can loose.

Alcor Life Extension Foundation of Scottsdale, Ariz., issued a statement on its Web site denying the allegations and promising legal action.

...rest of the article is at the link above...

Well at least there's one factor working in the Tigers' favor - Grienke goes against the Twins today. So if he does his thing and the Tigers can manage a win, they won't have to use Verlander Sunday. Of course, Grienke leads the majors in great starts that result in no decisions, so having him pitch is hardly a guarantee. But better than having any other KC pitcher going.

Meanwhile I can't believe how bunched up the Rox and the NL division winners are. Do you realize its possible to have a situation where the Wild Card could have a better record than both of the other division winners? Shows how the league is so lacking in dominant teams.

Oh, and did anyone notice Wagner pitched last night, the first time he's gone back-to-back. With the built-in days off, I wouldn't be surprised if Wagner could be available in every playoff game, if they are willing and he is willing (I'm pretty sure he is). He could be a big weapon.

Oh, and did anyone notice Wagner pitched last night, the first time he's gone back-to-back. With the built-in days off, I wouldn't be surprised if Wagner could be available in every playoff game, if they are willing and he is willing (I'm pretty sure he is). He could be a big weapon.

Sheeesh, 26 Ks in 15 2/3rd is nasty.

Oh, the K rate is great; I think he had two or maybe three hiccups where he gave up runs - one being to the MFY. Since Bard has been hit or miss - and Okajima has been AWOL for some acupuncture treatment - I think their best bullpen set up has to be Wagner in the eighth and Paps in the ninth. Let Bard, Ramirez and maybe Saito deal with the seventh. If the matchups are very favorable, they could get one or two outs in the eighth.

But if Wagner and Paps alone make it seven inning games, I think we got a good shot, if Lester, Beckett and the rest get the job done.

I only saw some of it but out here the Fox Saturday game was Royals-Twins. Yeah of course, it makes sense as it has playoff ramifications, but I can't recall the last time I saw the Royals on a Saturday afternoon. I'm thinking maybe 1985... :) As an added bonus Greinke was on the hill too. If the Twins don't make the playoffs it was the last time I will have seen the Heftydome. It's not over yet though!

A case can be made for the first great rivalry being the Cubs vs. Giants. At least in the deadball years it was intense. That one didn't last though.

I get the impression that the current Giant-Dodger rivalry is kind of like the White Sox-Cubs. White Sox fans hate the Cubs, Giants fans hate the Dodgers. Meanwhile Cubs fans barely know White Sox fans exist and it seems like current Dodger fans look upon the Giants with bemused indifference. It wasn't always that way for the Dodger fans, but it sure seems that way today.

I can't speak for the Chicago guys, but you would be incorrect in that impression, Quincy.

Those same Dodger fans don't even show up to their own ballpark to support their own team. The place is half empty everytime I see the Bums play on TV at home. Personally, I don't think LA fans deserve a pro team....except maybe the Lakers. The NFL sure thought so and just sat by as Georgia Fontiere yanked the Rams out of LA.

So, saying Dodger fans don't care about the rivalry isn't quite true....they don't care about supporting their own team, either. And you never see them wearing that ugly blue hat in public unless they are winning....I think you have your focus on the wrong rivalry there, Quincy.

Besides, you live in Oregon, right? No offense, but as a California native who has lived 27 years in NorCal after 27 years in SoCal I have witnessed quite the opposite relative to the Giants vs Dodgers rivalry. Take it from me...the real fans, on both sides, still care.

Ask Noj...he's one of them. Dodger fan-dom notwithstanding ^_^

Edited by GoodSpeak

Besides, you live in Oregon, right? No offense, but as a California native who has lived 27 years in NorCal after 27 years in SoCal I have witnessed quite the opposite relative to the Giants vs Dodgers rivalry.

I'm not an Oregon native (there aren't many.) I grew up on the borderline of Cub-Cardinal country for the first 23 years of my life. Even when the Cubs sucked (which was often) those games sold out year in & year out.

What can you expect when they used a rookie starter who, if I remember correctly, hadn't started a game in three years at any level?

Maybe its best if the Tigers just finish blowing it tomorrow and we can pray that somehow, someway, the Twins, as hot as they've been, can actually beat the Yankees in the post-season - even though they never did with Santana on the team and the Twins have no Mourneau either.

It did occur to me that with the extra days off, Verlander could go tomorrow and start game 2 Friday on regular rest, then come back to start Game 5 on short rest if the Tigers can somehow extend it that far. But either way this is a dream ALDS for the MFY. Either they get the Twins, who never give them any serious trouble, or they get the Tigers, slumping horribly and without being able to have Verlander pitch twice in the first four games.

Or maybe, just as eventually the Angels are going to beat the Red Sox when it counts, maybe this is the year the Twins beat the Yankees against all odds?

Boy that would be bittersweet. Much better to advance at least one round further than the MFY.

Besides, you live in Oregon, right? No offense, but as a California native who has lived 27 years in NorCal after 27 years in SoCal I have witnessed quite the opposite relative to the Giants vs Dodgers rivalry.

I'm not an Oregon native (there aren't many.) I grew up on the borderline of Cub-Cardinal country for the first 23 years of my life. Even when the Cubs sucked (which was often) those games sold out year in & year out.

Fair enough.

Hey, no problem with where you came from, Quincy.

It's just that I don't think you are in a position to judge the Giants vs Dodgers rivalry, is all. I'd like to think I may have just a little bit more understanding on the subject....being a basball junky and a California Native. ;)

No offense intended.

Edited by GoodSpeak

NL West Champs, baby. Bring on St. Louis, I've got a feeling lady luck's going to turn in our favor. Go Dodgers!

I'm too busy basking in the postseason to worry about teams who are already on vacation. ;)

[ahem]

Don't get too cocky, Jon.....your guys have won only 6 games in the playoffs since 1988. :P

I suspect the Dodgers will be headed to Hawaii and other vacation destinations sooner than you think.

But congratulations anyway, Brother Noj!

Why on God's green Earth is MLB Network broadcasting this "I Breathe Baseball" show with that walking & talking asshole Yankee fan? That's a freaking YES production if I ever saw one. There are millions of Yankee haters out there and surely in the top three reasons why they hate the MFY, Asshole Obnoxious New Yorker Fans is one of them. With all of these promos they are running, do they really think his ugly ass face (not to mention New YAWK accent) is going to find any viewers outside of the tri-state area?