MLB 2009 Season

Fuck the Yankees.

See Ghost??? The hatred comes from all corners of the political spectrum! :lol:

I'm glad Yankees fans are happy. And they do look like a team having fun. But that ump made the worst error I have ever seen in a playoff game. Including that ump in the Cards-Royals game. That was at least bang-bang. That was the biggest joke of the day. Well, 2nd biggest! ;)

Game should have still been tied up after Tex's home run. The game was so very many hours ago, but as I recall, Mauer would have scored from 2nd, on the first hit after his single, after the non double. Then you don't have the same defense(most likely) at least not a force out at home. They may have still played in....just a shame for the Twins, what chance they had in the series was taken away by an ump who can't see worth a damn.

All it really means is the Yankees win it in 3-4 games instead of 5.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dave, just consider this thread similar to a bar where people you normally like and respect come in and act like drunken jerks. I normally ignore all of the vitriolic crap that gets thrown about here, but it's getting really, really old, and to keep ignoring it validates it. NY fans are obnoxious? Judging from this forum, it's the other way around.

Couldn't agree more, and I'm out of here.

Fuck the Yankees.

See Ghost??? The hatred comes from all corners of the political spectrum! :lol:

I'm glad Yankees fans are happy. And they do look like a team having fun. But that ump made the worst error I have ever seen in a playoff game. Including that ump in the Cards-Royals game. That was at least bang-bang. That was the biggest joke of the day. Well, 2nd biggest! ;)

Game should have still been tied up after Tex's home run. The game was so very many hours ago, but as I recall, Mauer would have scored from 2nd, on the first hit after his single, after the non double. Then you don't have the same defense(most likely) at least not a force out at home. They may have still played in....just a shame for the Twins, what chance they had in the series was taken away by an ump who can't see worth a damn.

All it really means is the Yankees win it in 3-4 games instead of 5.

Agreed, terrible call which I hate to see, especially in a playoff game, and I'm a Yankee fan. Don't know why they can't institute replay in an upstairs booth for playoff use. That would have been a very simple call to overturn. It's a foul line call just like they have to determine whether a HR is fair or foul.

Calls that should never be overturned are balls and strikes, which I mention, only because the home plate umplre last night was simply awful. What I don't understand is how can so many pitches that "made the box" on TV replay be called balls, even pitches that went squarely into the virtual box, while so many pitches that were high inside or outside were called strikes. Is it the technology that's not quite right or did the ump really suck? I think the latter as was obvious by the questioning looks and verbiage he was taking from both teams' hitters.

Edited by MartyJazz

I was at yesterday's Dodger-Cardinals game. Man, that was amazing. The sort of game where, as we left, we hi-five strangers on our way out of the stadium.

But it really looked like a loss. Two out, no one on, the reliever just got the two best hitters out. The crowd didn't have a lot of energy or noise - it seemed to have gotten spent when Wainright got out of the loaded bases jam in the 8th. There weren't many towels waving on the pitch that Loney hit to Holliday (although there were plenty in the 8th and in teh rest of the 9th). Holliday says he lost it in the lights. Whatever reason, it looked like the 3rd out, and then the ball just bounced off, and it seemed like destiny after that. Casey Blake's at-bat was really the nail-biter right after that. Count 1-2, then he fouls off a couple, and then draws the walk.

Just amazing.

Went with my brother, and he said he probably thought that was the second best game ending he has been at, but he was at the game in the 1988 World Series when Gibson hit the homer (with my other brother, mom, and aunt - I was in school in Boston, screaming by myself in the college lounge).

Freeway series!!!! :-0

Great you were at the game, it's fantastic being at a game that will be remembered for years to come. No doubt that the Twins lost that game on their own last night, geesh, bases loaded, then two pitches and two outs! What ever happened about being patient and putting the pressure on the pitcher? Come guys, at least take the first pitch. Anyway, like a good team, which the Yankees are (though I even hate to admit that) they made the Twins pay for their mistake. Frustrating game to say the least.

Calls that should never be overturned are balls and strikes, which I mention, only because the home plate umplre last night was simply awful. What I don't understand is how can so many pitches that "made the box" on TV replay can be called balls, even pitches that went squarely into the virtual box, while so many pitches that were high inside or outside were called strikes. Is it the technology that's not quite right or did the ump really suck? I think the latter as was obvious by the questioning looks and verbiage he was taking from both teams' hitters.

Baseball has no to blame on the completely terrible umpiring but themselves. Anyone who has seen Chuck Meriwether work behind the plate knows how incredibly, absolutely, totally, crappy he his. I could write chapter-and-verse on this just from Mariner games. Lord, he has no strike zone, and the least you can say is that he's awful for both teams, which for an umpire, is not a good thing to say. Some of the calls this season and in the play-off are beyond the usual "everyone makes mistakes" category, to verging on outright incompetence. And to think, the NBA is worse in the regard than MLB. You would think Meriwether would not be allowed within twenty miles of a play-off game.

Edited by Matthew

No seriously that would have been weird to have two playoffs games w/ blown 9th inning saves back to back. Alas.

I'm hoping MLB postpones the WFC/Rockies game tomorrow BEFORE the game.

from ESPN....

Players wore extra layers and stocking caps to work out Friday, when the temperatures were still in the 50s ahead of an overnight cold front that will bring sleet, snow and plummeting temperatures.

"It's definitely not going to be a July day by any means," said Eric Thaler, a meteorologist for the National Weather Service. "Bundle up like you're going to a Broncos game."

Thaler said it would be 29 degrees at first pitch at 7:37 p.m. MDT, and that the record cold temperature for Oct. 10 (25 degrees set back in 1905) could fall by game's end. He didn't expect much precipitation, which should encourage Major League Baseball not to postpone the game.

And we've got a dinged up 38 year old pitcher from the DR on the mound. He's gonna turn into an icicle out there. Not liking the Phillies chances right now.

Game's been postponed. Who knows when they'll be able to play it. Can you imagine what it's going to be like if the Rockies actually make the World Series, or even advance in the playoffs?

No seriously that would have been weird to have two playoffs games w/ blown 9th inning saves back to back. Alas.

I'm hoping MLB postpones the WFC/Rockies game tomorrow BEFORE the game.

from ESPN....

Players wore extra layers and stocking caps to work out Friday, when the temperatures were still in the 50s ahead of an overnight cold front that will bring sleet, snow and plummeting temperatures.

"It's definitely not going to be a July day by any means," said Eric Thaler, a meteorologist for the National Weather Service. "Bundle up like you're going to a Broncos game."

Thaler said it would be 29 degrees at first pitch at 7:37 p.m. MDT, and that the record cold temperature for Oct. 10 (25 degrees set back in 1905) could fall by game's end. He didn't expect much precipitation, which should encourage Major League Baseball not to postpone the game.

And we've got a dinged up 38 year old pitcher from the DR on the mound. He's gonna turn into an icicle out there. Not liking the Phillies chances right now.

Game's been postponed. Who knows when they'll be able to play it. Can you imagine what it's going to be like if the Rockies actually make the World Series, or even advance in the playoffs?

MLB did the right thing for once. I guess after later year's WS Game 5 debacle they have learned their lesson.

A couple of comments:

Bud Selig is an idiot. The fact that baseball ownership continues to retain him as commissioner makes them idiot complicit.

If I recall correctly, the players have rated Chuck Meriwether as the worst umpire in the American League. I don't know how baseball deals with incompetency, as I'm sure there is some union related protection in their C.B.A., but this is a guy who needs to be shown the door. Umpires at the MLB level earn between $83,000 and $300,000 per year. Meriwether has been in the bigs for 14 years, so you gotta figure he's at the upper end of the pay scale. Wow!

Up over and out.

Wow the Cardinals didn't even put up a fight tonight. It goes back to game 1, 1st inning when the Cards had the bases loaded with no outs and Holiday goes up looking for the walk and takes the 3 straight strikes for the K and the Cards only get one run that inning.

Congrats to the Dodgers, I knew they had a great line up but their pitching impressed me all year long.

Maybe if it ever stops snowing we might get a NLCS and WS.

I love baseball and it wouldn't be fair to the fans of the other teams left but I hate Bud Selig enough to want to see him deal with having either to cancel the Wolrd Series or deprive Colorado of having a home game. It would sever him right for delaying the season for that stupid world baseball classic.

Edited by WorldB3

why the hell didn't they start Smoltz? The winningest postseason pitcher in history comes in in relied and strikes out 5 straight! What a waste. LaRussa is an idiot.

That was the best Smoltz looked all year. The Cardinals were dead the moment that Holliday dropped that line drive.

LaRussa, Smoltz and Lugo are bounced, and I am a happy boy.

Now if the Angels eliminate the MFY and the Dodgers lose eventually, I'll be ecstatic.

I do want to keep the Dodgers in position to eliminate the MFY if it comes to that, as I suspect the Dodger pitching staff is the only NL squad that could handle them. The Phils have the lineup but that bullpen is scary and the MFY have made such a habit of late inning comebacks that the Phils could only win if they build up a huge lead early.

OK.

So BASICALLY, the NL Central sucks,

The Cubs got waxed last year and the Cards got blanked this year.

I seriously do not want to hear any more bullshit about how the the NL West is the weakest division in the league.

The NL Central is THE weakest division in Major League Baseball.

Make no mistake.

Stoked for my boys, especially Ethier who really swung a big bat in the series. Manny finally showed up, the short rest will be good for his ailing hand. Feel a twinge of pity for the Cards, that Game 2 choke was epic. I'm not really getting where the hate for my team comes from, it's not like they've won anything since '88. Go Dodgers!

They ought to make the regular season a bit shorter in favor of a seven game divisional series.

Stoked for my boys, especially Ethier who really swung a big bat in the series. Manny finally showed up, the short rest will be good for his ailing hand. Feel a twinge of pity for the Cards, that Game 2 choke was epic. I'm not really getting where the hate for my team comes from, it's not like they've won anything since '88. Go Dodgers!

They ought to make the regular season a bit shorter in favor of a seven game divisional series.

Happy for you, Jon.

But as a Giants guy...the hate is from a long standing rivalry wherein the Dodgers have inflicted tremendous pain upon us long suffering fans. In short, and since my childhood, I have developed a healthy hate for Dodger fucking Blue.

Go Philly.

I don't get the hate either (I understand Yankee hate though), this Dodger team is very low-key and doesn't make too many waves. Of course, I grew up on the Dodgers in San Diego, even made the pilgrimage to Dodger Stadium on many occasions. Still, it is good to see them back up on top -- who knows, it looks like it might turn into an I5 Series.

Remember when there were only 154 games in a season and enough double headers that you could actually finish a World Series before the weather went completely gunnysack? MLB needs to figure out some way to play the most important baseball of the year when the weather is conducive to playing it at its highest level. Of course, with former car salesman B.S. at the helm, and the owners wanting/needing to milk every drop of financial blood out of the regular season turnip, that is, alas, highly unlikely. Trust me though, it's only a matter of time before the powers that be are hoisted on their own petard. I hope I'm still around when that happens. :angry:

Up over and out.

LaRussa, Smoltz and Lugo are bounced, and I am a happy boy.

Now if the Angels eliminate the MFY and the Dodgers lose eventually, I'll be ecstatic.

I do want to keep the Dodgers in position to eliminate the MFY if it comes to that, as I suspect the Dodger pitching staff is the only NL squad that could handle them. The Phils have the lineup but that bullpen is scary and the MFY have made such a habit of late inning comebacks that the Phils could only win if they build up a huge lead early.

Dan,

You'll have to admit that a Yankee Dodger Series has a fair amount to offer. That possibility, what with the Torre tie-in, has to be giving the networks a 24/7 stiffy. These two teams haven't faced off since way back in 1978. It would be a fun one to see, at least IMO.

Up over and out.

I don't get the hate either (I understand Yankee hate though), this Dodger team is very low-key and doesn't make too many waves. Of course, I grew up on the Dodgers in San Diego, even made the pilgrimage to Dodger Stadium on many occasions. Still, it is good to see them back up on top -- who knows, it looks like it might turn into an I5 Series.

You must be very young claim to you don't understand the hate, Matthew. Only the Dodger fan youngsters [and a few jealous A's baseball fans] don't get it. Giants fans from birth understand. Maybe it's pretend denial....I won't speculate. But when I'm at ATT Park and those drunken Dodger fan bastards spew their verbal arrogance it speaks volumes for us Giants fans about how much we hate those fucking Dodgers.

Do the research.

This rivarlry spans over 100 years.

Edited by GoodSpeak