MLB 2009 Season

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ichiro was just light out against Lester last night. Good win for the Mariners. I was very surprised that Papi sat down against Jakubauskas, Jak is the kind of pitcher that Big Papi could get some good hacks off. Of course, the big event last night was Yuni Betancourt getting not just one, but two walks in the game. Pigs are now flying around SafeCo field as we write this. It's Garrett Olson vs. Beckett tonight, looks like a huge mismatch, we'll wait and see what happens

What the heck has gotten into Yuni???? First time up tonight -- two run homer!

Raul Ibanez is putting up some sick numbers of late. Granted a 4 game series vs. the Nats this weekend doesn't hurt.

He's turned into a roadrunner too with 4 steals and hasn't been caught. I feel like I owe the guy an apology as I wasn't that thrilled when he returned to Seattle in '04, but he just kept in knocking in runs and has a great eye. Obviously he likes your park, but he's hitting whether home or away, righty or lefty. Just like Edgar (Martinez, for those of you not on a 1st name basis like M's fans ;)) he's a guy who got a late start in the bigs but once he got established he made the most of it. I tip my cap to him.

Edited by Quincy

My first look at the Mets this year and I can say they are really really good. Great mix of speed, power, clutch hitting and d. If the starting pitching and bullpen settles down as expected they will be a force.

Big Unit has a ERA over six. Zito has been the best starting pitcher for the Giants over the last five starts. Never thought I would say that.

If you're in the mood for some high quality scans of players from the 1960s & '70s, check out Steve's Baseball Photography site. There are early shots of Padres, some especially nice ones of Koufax, Marichal from not the usual place in his windup, Oscar Gamble in full hair mode, Reggie Smith as a Cardinal, and lots of guys who weren't particularly great but may bring a smile if you hadn't thought about them for awhile.

Edited by Quincy

Oh My Gosh!!!! Those old Padre pictures are really a walk down memory lane for me. I wasted my youth at Padre games at the Murph'. We lived five minutes from the Stadium, so my parents would drop me off at the game, then pick me up after the game (no one was worried about some kid-teen ager by themselves at the game in those days) -- imagine, ticket prices in those days for G.A. was $2.50. Brodrick Perkins, Nate Colbert, Johnny Jeter, Reberto Pena, "Number 11, Enzo Hernandez!" Too bad he didn't have Al "The Bull" Ferrera, who hit a home run in the very first MLB game I saw. Weird baseball story about one of my boyhood heroes, Willie "3 Dog" Davis. This takes place when Davies was on the downside of his career. Willie Davis is on first, with Reggie Smith at the plate. Reggie hits a line-drive single to right, where Dave Winfield catches it on one bounce, Winfield looks up, and he sees 3 Dog, dogging it to second base, says to himself: "What the heck!!??!!" Guns a throw to second, and forces out Davis at second base -- that's right, a force out at second! I couldn't believe it. Wow, thanks a 1,000,000 for the link! It is bringing back so many memories! You got to love those hedious yellow Padre uniforms.

laddavis.jpg

colbert01.jpg

PS: Davis was with the Cardinals at the time of the play. When he got forced out at second, at first base, Reggie Smith jumped high in the air, and then threw down his helmet in disgust.

Edited by Matthew

Did I just see the Mariners take advantage of a Boston error and win in the bottom of the 9th? I think I did at that! These are not your 2008 Mariners by any means, they actually have some heart. I digging very much taking 2 of 3 from Boston, it will make for a nice flight to Seattle tomorrow.

Edited by Matthew

Here's an AP article about the AL pitcher hitting:

http://sports.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/...tsBaseball/home

ST. PETERSBURG — An error on the Tampa Bay Rays' official lineup card forced starting pitcher Andy Sonnanstine to bat in Sunday's game against Cleveland. The Rays listed Ben Zobrist and Evan Longoria as the third baseman on the card given to the umpires before the start of the game. Longoria was supposed to be the designated hitter.

After going hitless in his first two at-bats, Sonnanstine had an RBI double to left during a five-run fourth that put Tampa Bay ahead 7-3.

After the top of the first, in which Zobrist played third, the game was delayed 13 minutes as the umpires discussed the matter among themselves and individually with Tampa Bay manager Joe Maddon and Cleveland manager Eric Wedge.

The umpires pulled the Indians off the field midway through the delay.

The Rays lost their DH position due to the error, meaning Sonnanstine replaced Longoria in the third spot of the lineup.

Longoria, available to come off the bench, entered the game at third with two outs in the sixth when reliever Grant Balfour replaced Sonnanstine. Longoria also took over the third posiiton in the lineup, while Balfour replaced right fielder Gabe Kapler in the seventh spot.

Zobrist moved from third to right when Longoria came in.

Maddon strikes me as, next to Tony LaRussa, the guy who always thinks he's the smartest one in the room. And he screwed up the lineup and lost his DH?

He's just getting ready for interleague play. :crazy:

I picked up the game in the fourth inning on TV and was half watching when Sonnanstine came to the plate. Couldn't believe my eyes.

Maddon can be a little too laid back sometimes, I think. Exhibit A today. On highlights of the game, Longoria looked like he got in a little snit over it when the error was discovered, making a point of stomping off into the clubhouse to put on a pullover jacket and looking none too pleased about the proceedings. But the dugout was all giggles again after Sonnanstine got his RBI double. I'm sure Maddon felt like an idiot.

Edited by papsrus

Did I just see the Mariners take advantage of a Boston error and win in the bottom of the 9th? I think I did at that! These are not your 2008 Mariners by any means, they actually have some heart. I digging very much taking 2 of 3 from Boston, it will make for a nice flight to Seattle tomorrow.

They (meaning the Red Sox) are playing brutally atrocious baseball and if it doesn't change fast, they will find themselves with only the Orioles beneath them in the standings. Its fucking ugly and I have no reason to feel remotely good about this team. Shitty starting pitchers. Inconsistent offense. And no one can play SS and field the ball. Not to mention the DH who shall remain nameless.

Will it even matter that they are now finished with West Coast trips for the rest of the year? I'm not expecting one in October, that's for fucking sure.

They (meaning the Red Sox) are playing brutally atrocious baseball and if it doesn't change fast, they will find themselves with only the Orioles beneath them in the standings. Its fucking ugly and I have no reason to feel remotely good about this team. Shitty starting pitchers. Inconsistent offense. And no one can play SS and field the ball. Not to mention the DH who shall remain nameless.

Will it even matter that they are now finished with West Coast trips for the rest of the year? I'm not expecting one in October, that's for fucking sure.

Boston is playing some strange baseball right now, that's for sure. Beckett, I don't know what to make of him at this point, talk about inconsistant -- he goes from pitch to pitch in quality. I'm not a big fan of his, but Jason Bay impressed with his play over the series, and I really got to appreciate Jacoby Ellsbury & Dustin Pedroia, very classy players. The rest of the team however? Otiz sitting down for all three games? Franconia has to start getting worried pretty soon, though it looks like no one is going run away with the East right now.

Re: Joe Madden. If he and Tony LaRussia were in the same room, they would have nothing to talk about since they both know everything.

Edited by Matthew

Re: Joe Madden. If he and Tony LaRussia were in the same room, they would have nothing to talk about since they both know everything.

Who the heck are Madden and LaRussia? :cool:

:blush: I meant Joe Maddon & Tony La Russa. Since I'm such a terrible speller, I usually check on the ESPN website to spell names. This time, to no one's surprise, I didn't. :blush:

Who the heck are Madden and LaRussia? :cool:

:blush: I meant Joe Maddon & Tony La Russa. Since I'm such a terrible speller, I usually check on the ESPN website to spell names. This time, to no one's surprise, I didn't. :blush:

S-Ok. Just funnin' ya. ;)

Um.

Does anybody besides me see a heart attack waiting to happen here...?

Whoa :blink:

Well I know I would have a heart attack if just once Dan posted after a loss that the other team had really talented players, maybe just maybe that the other teams player possibly by being really talented got a hit on a 90 mph slider on the black by going the other way with it for a clutch hit or a Red Sox hit that same slider to the warning track and left the winning run on second base that he is also really talented but just got under it and hey its one game, the other team just played a little better or got the breaks today for the win today and we will go get them tomorrow.

That will never happen, WB3.

He has a hard time accepting the fact his BoSox won the WS with a juiced ManRam...yet he bags on Bonds. So, don't hold your breath.

Amazing myopia.

The Big Unit got rocked yesterday in the 1st inning

First time ever the first four hitters got base hits to lead off a game

If he plays one more season he'll pass 5K strikeouts

Impressive

Looks like getting to 300 wins is going to be a helluva lot harder than he thought.

Well, I know the Phillies won the WS and then JC Romero got a 50-day suspension under the drug testing policy. I guess the Rays should be crowned champs! :excited: Or at least we should replay the third and final games of the series. Course, we'd have to restore the lineups to what they were last season, and that means Burrell back to the Phillies. But he might sabotage the whole thing cause now he's with the Rays. But he'd sacrifice his ring if he did that, so probably not. But then would the Rays want him? Hard to say. And if they did, would Maddon remember to put his name on the lineup card?

This is a real can o' worms man. :unsure:

Oh and this is just fucking awesome: Losers of four of six, and I just realized first-place Toronto comes to Fenway. And Youkilis will be out at least one more game, Ortiz is a worthless POS, and Wakefield, Penny and Lester take the mound.

Like I said, they'll be looking up at everyone but the Orioles soon enough.

:rofl: That is a classic line! I don't really like LaRussa, but he does think, often outside the box... unlike Bobby Cox, who just follows a dog eared book. Cardinals players really play the game...every damn SS they call up has played beautifully.

I know there are hundreds of Braves fans here, so heres some braves news!

Calling up Kris Medlen, instead of arguably the top starter in the minor leagues, Tommy Hanson. Why??? Medlen has a 1.19 ERA, but they had to add him to the 40 man roster. He starts Wednesday. Trade bait??? I really think it's stupid to trade a good cheap starter. Would much rather see the Braves trade Javier Vazquez and have that money for a bat as well...but, would anyone take his salary????

Edited by BERIGAN