MLB 2009 Season

Brewers sweep Cardinals in St. Louis. :excited:

Braun was playing some defense tonight, judging from the highlights.

Rays SS Bartlett is now hitting .384 after going 3-for-3 with a walk tonight against the A's, who look like they have some major problems. Rays back at .500 on the season. Oakland, Florida, Cleveland and Minnesota fill out their dance card for the rest of May.

Edited by papsrus

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone changing their opinion of the Yankees' chances? About to go 9-2 since A-Rod returned and while Jeter definitely looks like his decline is accelerating (I saw a slow chopper to third tonight and the third baseman looked and said "well I've got time" and threw him out on the force play, and I was thinking two years ago, doesn't he beat that out?), that wind tunnel ballpark is making Damon young again and lifted Teixeira out of his doldrums. Sabathia is being Sabathia, and even the bullpen has managed not to throw away games lately. Color me worried.

And I find it ridiculous that the current homer pace is such that the total number of home runs will exceed the total of all last season on July 18th, the first home game after the All-Star break.

:wacko::blink:

Hey Conrad, is Braves Nation abuzz over the fact that John Smoltz starts his 21 day rehab today? They might if they thought about it, because if there are no setbacks and Smoltz must be activated at the end of the 21 days, that will be right when the Braves are at Fenway. Or better yet, what if Smoltz is ready to go and his second start comes when the Sox visit Atlanta at the end of June? Can you imagine Smoltz making a start during that series?

And this Yankee Stadium wind tunnel is getting f-ing ridiculous. Swisher, Cano and Cabrera go back-to-back-to-back in the second, all to right field. Can the Yankee pitching staff manage to keep the ball in the yard often enough at home for their offense to do most of the damage, or will this be Coors Field East, and the Yanks will have the same playoff success as the Rockies, playing in a launching pad?

What do they do if they break last year's home run total before the All-Star break? As the weather warms up, the offenses usually get warm, too. The home run rate in the cold and the rain should actually go higher as we get into the summer. :unsure::wacko:

Hey Conrad, is Braves Nation abuzz over the fact that John Smoltz starts his 21 day rehab today? They might if they thought about it, because if there are no setbacks and Smoltz must be activated at the end of the 21 days, that will be right when the Braves are at Fenway. Or better yet, what if Smoltz is ready to go and his second start comes when the Sox visit Atlanta at the end of June? Can you imagine Smoltz making a start during that series?

Dan, I hadn't heard anything yet...but if it lines up that way...oh boy! :unsure: I'm pretty sure I mentioned this before, but at first, everyone was mad at braves management, but after a few comments from Smoltz about the organization, many seemed to sour on Smoltz. I understood where he was coming from...and I would root for him to beat the braves, which would no doubt piss off upper management.

Pitchers usually don't come back from labrum issues the same afterwards, and Smoltz is old....but, if he does, you will see why he's not your typical pitcher...not by a long shot.

What I find remarkable is that the guy was the same dominant pitcher last season, with a shredded shoulder, until the pain got to be too much. If he could throw that well with a torn labrum, why wouldn't he be able to pitch as well after the repair?

Edited by Dan Gould

Dan, that's why I wanted the braves to take a chance on him this year...he did throw a ton of sliders last year...IF he can throw 93-94 again, it should be very interesting to watch him pitch.

Last thing I thought you guys would need is Smoltz, at least this early....

Well the bullpen has been every bit as good as was hoped, and given Papi's problems and injuries to Youkilis and Lowrie, the offense has been as good as could be hoped. But the rotation is the worst or next to worst in the league! If Lester and Beckett find their form then there might be some hope.

Interesting too that Smoltz may be ready around June 15, and that happens to be the date that Penny, as a free agent signing, can be traded. I can very much see him getting moved to make room for Smoltz, making the path for Bowden and Buchholz to get their chances that much clearer. And I think Penny would have some value to any team looking for half way decent starting pitching. He does manage to pitch quality starts despite his high overall ERA. And he does bring it at 94-95, which suggests that he's healthy again.

And oh by the way - BIG PAPI HIT A HOMER TO STRAIGHTAWAY CENTERFIELD!

Finally!

Rick Reilly had a pretty funny column the other day RE: Fixing baseball.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=4179981

3) We'll bring in Olympic testing. Saying "baseball players cheat" is like saying "wolves like hamburger." In the Small-Balls era, nobody -- not the players, not the owners, not the writers -- tried to stop it. Where were all these books when we needed them? But when I bring in the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) -- and let it test anytime, road or home -- we'll finally see who's faker than Octomom's lips.

"Small-Balls era" LOL!

Minnesota is POUNDING the White Sox right now. It's 20 - Zip in the bottom of the 8th. At what point do they call the game?

to paraphrase Tom Hanks from 'Major League'- There's no Mercy rule in baseball! :rolleyes:

Try "League of Their Own".

Rick Reilly had a pretty funny column the other day RE: Fixing baseball.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=4179981

3) We'll bring in Olympic testing. Saying "baseball players cheat" is like saying "wolves like hamburger." In the Small-Balls era, nobody -- not the players, not the owners, not the writers -- tried to stop it. Where were all these books when we needed them? But when I bring in the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) -- and let it test anytime, road or home -- we'll finally see who's faker than Octomom's lips.

"Small-Balls era" LOL!

:rofl::excited:

BEAUTIFUL! Sox broadcast is showing replays of Youk getting HBP, and he says, very clearly, "Shit!" Santana took exception. On about the 35th replay, Eckersley is saying, "Youk didn't do anything to provoke him. He doesn't get out of the way, but he gets hit... [Youk video saying "Shit!"] then, "shit!"... oops."

Priceless

Watched the Phills beat the Yanks tonight. It might as well have been a home game for the WFCs as there were more Phillies' fans at the game. I'd say 60/40 in favor of the Fightin's. Still a lot of empty seats behind home plate. Both teams combined for 7 home runs tonight. And people complain that the Phils' park is a band box. Ha!

When I consider that Santana was going for the Mets, Holliday was going for the Jays, and the Yankees were riding a 9 game win streak, I have to say its not that bad to end up in the exact same position afterwards.

As for the matchup in the Bronx, I suggested to a board member of an over/under on home runs of 10 - I figured three a game, and they hit 7 in the first one!

Interesting situation for the Yanks now - they activated Wang because of concern about the bullpen giving any sort of length if it was needed in the wake of Joba's early exit the day before, but before that they wanted to be careful and make sure Wang was right by having him pitch another AAA start. So what happens? Yeah, Wang got some groundballs, but he gave up some hits and a very long home run, two runs overall. Not the Wang they wanted, I don't think. But by activating him, the only way to shut him down again is to start a new DL clock. I have to wonder if they are now thinking about keeping Hughes in the rotation for now and let Wang work on being consistent out of the bullpen.

Ironically, that's the course of action Wang and the Yankees didn't take after his disastrous start to the season.

But Dan, on the strength of last night's performance he lowered his ERA to 25.00! ^_^:rolleyes:

I noticed that, too - a reduction of a whopping 25%!! Amazing what you can do early in a season by being only slightly less bad than you were previously. :g

Well this is a fucking PISSER of a day, as the Yankees steal one, and then in-bred hillbilly PIECE OF SHIT Papelbon fucks one away by grooving a fastball to some fucking loser who barely clears the yellow line on the Monster.

Next to the disaster in L.A., this is the fucking worst day of the season.

What a fucking ridiculous park that monstrosity is. :rmad:

11 HRs in 2 games thus far in the series. They have to move/raise the fences.

And here's something J.H. probably knows already: The WFC ain't gonna repeat with Lidge back to his pre-2008 and post-Pujols form.

It's like watching Mitch Williams all over again. They have got to do something about him NOW. If he's injured, shut him down and put him on the DL. If it's a mechanical issue send him down and let him work it out in the minors for a couple of weeks. A stint in the minors worked great for Myers last year. They can let Madson take over until he heals his knee/arm/head.