Atlantic New Orleans Jazz Sessions

Alfred

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just received an e-mail from Mosaic. There are 12 sets left. Go ahead, guys! B)

Oh, man. OK--I'm not particularly a fan of NO jazz, but I just pulled the trigger, and Fred Pustay says they still had 13, which means they now have a dozen left. I also picked up the Hackett and the most recent Selects. My wallet says :ph34r: , but my jazz-lovin' heart says :excited:

Will wait until mid-July to order the Farlow and Herman together--hope I get some more radio gigs in the meantime to pay for 'em!

There is no point in me purchasing the Atlantic New Orleans box AGAIN. I purchased my copy a couple of months ago. This is no fun when I don't have a need to purchase Last Chance items to keep up with AfricaBrass and ghost of miles. :rolleyes::P:lol:

Another thanks to you guys and gals here for turning me on to the Atlantic NO set. I got it shortly after it hit the 'last chance' list and have been enjoying it ever since.

However, for the sake of my bank account and marraige, I hope we have a break from titles appearing on the 'running low/last chance' list.

If you don't like New Orleans style jazz, I'd recommend not buying this set.

On the other hand, if you do like (or think you might like) New Orleans jazz, this is a very good set to have. It's classic New Orleans jazz played well and recorded well. This is the first New Orleans music I've heard that was recorded recently-enough to produce a good clear sound. The listener gets to hear all the instruments from the muted trumpet to the screaming clarinet to the drums and banjo. There is a lot to listen to in this music if the recording is detailed enough to hear the instruments. I'm more accustomed to the older recordings of Louis Armstrong and Bix where the playing was excellent but the recording quality wasn't so good.

The New Orleans Jazz Mosaic opened my ears to just how good this music was if you could have been present to hear it live in its day. If I remember correctly, most, if not all, of the New Orleans Mosaic is recorded in stereo.

I have given it some thought, but don't think that I will bite.

I need to hear another good reason. I own a ton of New Orleans jazz, including 40s and 50s revival recordings on American, Storyville, Good Time, Riverside, and other labels. I also have a single disc on Atlantic with 1/4 of the material on this box set. So why do I need it?

Addey's work is no better than Dave Jones' on the Riverside N.O. "Living Legends" recordings--in fact, I really thing Dave did a better job. That said, I think one should base one's decisions on the music rather than the engineer.

Thanks Christiern.

I don't mean for this to be a smart-assed remark to your post. I believe you provided excellent information about Dave Jones and Malcolm Addey regarding the New Orleans Jazz sessions. This is a good bit of knowledge for anybody who is considering purchasing this music. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm listening to the 'funeral music' through headphones as I type this text. This music makes me not want to die.

At times, during the funeral music, voices can be heard... people speaking. I heard the voices through my headphones and got a funny feeling there was somebody else in my house besides me (at 12:30AM). I had kind of a panicked feelng till I realized that the voices were coming from the Mosaic CD.

As good as the music on this set is, there's plenty more similar recordings available on other labels particularly, Fantasy's Good Time Jazz and GHB Jazz Foundation's American Music or GHB Records. GHB Jazz especially has got me hooked. There're at least 50-60 excellent albums by artists such as George Lewis, Kid Thomas, Bunk Johnson, Billie & De De Pierce playing their best and recorded in good to excellent sound too.

• 1 year later...