Who's Riding?

Kevin talked about starting a thread like this, and hasn't yet, so I'm going to start one.

A year and a half ago I started riding again. . . first vehicle I've driven in elven years turns out to be the 2008 Harley Davidson Fat Bob I bought, then the new model for the Dyna Glide family for the 105th Anniversary year.

I read and read and went to a motorcycle convention, I sat on dozens of bikes of many makes and test rode a few, and settled on this one. It's a nice cruiser, nimble for its type, and I've added some performance features such as Screamin' Eagle slip-on mufflers and for handling the wonderful True-Track engine braces and the Superbrace fork stabilizer.

The handling really improved with the latter two products, and I feel I have a handle on the bike now after about 4,000 miles. (Yeah, I know, I really haven't gone anywhere. . . I've been so used to not going anywhere for so many years, I still walk a lot). I do plan some long trips this summer. I've ordered a Corbin Dual Tour seat, so my gal and I can be comfortable on those all day rides.

I only ever had one Harley before, a '72 Sportster for about a year in '83-'84, and after that I had two BMW motorcycles for about six years. . . then . . . no motorcycles, bought a car, and then. . .no car. So I'm beginning to enjoy having wheels, and I really have bonded to this bike. It's a keeper. Comfortable, and although it's not a sport bike, it now handles quite capably.

Here's some pics.

Any other riders here want to share info and pics??

http://forums.allaboutjazz.com/picture.php...ctureid=145.jpg

http://forums.allaboutjazz.com/picture.php...ctureid=144.jpg

http://forums.allaboutjazz.com/picture.php...ctureid=143.jpg

http://forums.allaboutjazz.com/picture.php...ctureid=142.jpg

http://forums.allaboutjazz.com/picture.php...ctureid=141.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hell yeah! Well, I think Lon knows I own a 1972 BMW R75/5. I've had this bike since the year I graduated and started my first job out of college, in 1993. A friend in the legal department of my company had cool black and white photographs of the bike in his office taken in the 80's when he was living in Boston. I was a heavy car buff at the time, and had driven a bike maybe three times in my life. The photos triggered memories of seeing a BMW motorcycle dealership in Portland (Oregon) in the mid-70's, and I'd since forgotten BMW even MADE motorcycles--so I asked him to see it. I stopped by his house, he started it, and asked if I wanted to take it for a spin. I of course said yes, and drove around for an hour learning how a motorcyle worked (he had no idea--fortunately I was able to get down the driveway and out of earshot before I started lurching through the gears). The next day he stopped by my cubicle and told me his wife was making him sell the bike because they just had a baby--and asked if I wanted to buy it for a ridiculous price. I jumped at it, and it's since been all around the country.

Sadly, it's currently in storage in Seattle (with my goddamn record collection), but I'm FINALLY getting everything out here before summer and plan to keep racking up the miles.

I'll see if I can find some pictures to post.

Mark and Kevin, your turn!

SS. . . don't have any pics. . . don't have any "gear." The only leather I have is jackets, two L. L. Bean WWII flight jacket replicas, one insulated with 3m Thinsulite and one uninsulated. Love those jackets. And I have some leather gloves. That's it. Otherwise I dress as I normally would, including my Birkenstock Chicago shoes and my Earthshoe Vegan shoes.

Peter, yes, you're right, I'll never forget that you have an R75. Love those bikes. My '74 R90 is probably my favorite of the bikes I've had in important ways. Keep on rolling!

Alas, I'm not a part of the riding class anymore; both my 82 Yamaha Maxim 650 and my 07 Kawasaki 500 are still in Louisiana. Maybe someday. You know what I'd really like? A restored '74 Norton 850 Commando, the bike I dreamed about in high school. That's probably not going to happen...

As for the Vespa, Soul Stream, I have never understood the sneer that some motorcyclists have towards scooter riders. Hey, two wheels good, four wheels bad, I say, with apologies to Orwell. I guess it comes down to whether you enjoy riding or just want to buy into the biker mentality.

When I was in Ohio at the close of the 'seventies I rode with two older guys who both had Nortons. They also each had a Triumph, one of them two. And. . . well at least one bike was alwyas running. They had real problems keeping them going. Reliable they weren't!

Hey, did I ever mention my high school friend who was severely brain damaged in an accident while riding a motorcycle?

Or the ER doc I met who told me that the only difference between a helmet and no helmet in whether you have an open or closed casket funeral?

Not telling you what to do, but you'll never see me on one of those things...

must....not....respond.....

oh fuck it, I'll respond.

:rolleyes:

Hey, did I ever mention my high school friend who was severely brain damaged in an accident while riding a motorcycle?

Or the ER doc I met who told me that the only difference between a helmet and no helmet in whether you have an open or closed casket funeral?

Not telling you what to do, but you'll never see me on one of those things...

Hey Lon I think you need to spend a little less time on the bike and a little more time on the mower. You lawn is out of control man! ;)

I like my lawn wild! The weeds just grew this week due to rains last week. I'll mow this weekend.

Alexander, I know what you mean and respect your opinion. I've however have been badly wounded in a car accident and I'm a very safe rider and feel safe on a motorcycle. Not interested in cars as much at all. Whatever happens happens. I've survived a spouse and know the drill.

I've read a lot about Corbins over the years, and have been tempted many times. Still get troubled, though, by the idea of moving away from my bone stock ride! I wonder if they make a version for /5's that's easily interchangeable with the stock seat, which I've been on for hours at a stretch (but aware that there are more comfortable options!).

Glad you're on the road Kevin. Did you get a solo Mustang seat? They've been recommended to me, but my gal has been doing riding with me and so I went with a two-up Corbin, should have that in a spell.

Having crashed twice, with a helmet on, I'd have to say that the doc you met was a complete fucking idiot. Or perhaps he just enjoyed riding without a helmet one time too many...

It's probably a BMW R50 as RC says. Beautiful!

Peter. . . The Corbins have a reputation for being "hard" in comparison to the puffy pillowy type of touring seat. Which is one reason I went for it. I sat on one of the seats I'm getting on aonther bike and I really liked it better than the stock Harley seat on my ride, it has the potential to be a great seat for all day, day after day riding, which is what I really like the most (going from Texas to Ohio and back or Texas to California and back, etc.)

The stock seat on my R90 was sufficient for that, I put thousands and thousands of miles on that seat and even re-upholstered it. The Fat Bob seat is not quite that comfortable. And the real reason I'm changing it is that it's not very good for anything but short two-up riding.