The Organissimo tribute CD

I'm late, as usual, to the discussion, and I'm too lazy to review the thread. So, forgive me if this suggestion has already been made.

I'd like to hear the band's take of "Walk On The Wild Side". Although I first heard it, too many years ago, by Elmer Bernstein on the soundtrack of the mediocre movie of the same name, it was my reintroduction to jazz. So, it's kind of a sentimental choice for me. I know that it's been done by Jimmy Smith and also, as a vocal, by Brook Benton. But it is kick-ass. If there's still room, "Walk On The Wild Side", please.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How Soon Is Now (by The Smiths) (note, done with a Mr. Kenyatta groove, this can be a modal smoker)

I'll second that!! I had never thought of that song this way. That would be GREAT!!! :tup

YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please do consider doing this, or at least something like this. I think this disc definitely needs one organ-trio take on a modern pop tune of some sort, and "How Soon Is Now" would be FANTASTIC!!!!!

Here's a link to a Smith's greatest hits album, with a sample of the tune (look for track #6 - "How Soon Is Now"): CLICK HERE

You guys still down with doing the Smiths tune???

I'm good with any and/or all of the popular suggestions made in this thread, but I've got my heart set on hearing "How Soon Is Now" done up Organissimo style!!! B)

Also, hopefully without being the least bit pushy about demanding more 'product' from you guys, may I ask what's the timetable on getting the "tribute" disc recorded, and out to your throng of devoted fans??? :wub::wub::wub:

JazzyPaul agreed to send me a cd-r of the Smiths tune, but I haven't received it yet.

As far as a date of completion, it's hard to pin down with all that's going on right now. But the good news is that Jim has recently aquired some nice recording gear, so the home studio is up and running. He's still learning the ins and outs of the program, but already has it sounding pretty darn good. So actual recording should be starting very soon.

Stay tuned, O Throng of Devoted Fans! :rlol

Edited by Joe G

• 5 weeks later...

An idea just jumped into my head last night about a disc to help fund the board. Why should Organissimo have to spend their time and energy to learn, practice, record, produce a disc to keep the board up for all of us? So....

What if members who are musicians all contribute a track or two of their work. Organissiomo could select which tracks are used and make a compilation of Organissimo board members' music.

Money is raised without a great burden to a few members (Organissimo) plus members get to share their work and perhaps stimulate interest and income from other board members who might want to hear more.

Disclaimer: Although I have some tracks of some of my guitar work on my computer, I would in NO WAY submit an entry so I really have nothing to gain personally from this venture except keeping this board which I enjoy visiting, running smoothly.

An interesting idea, but remember, this is Organissimo's site, so while they are footing something of a bill for creating this new CD, they're also using it as a promotional thing. I'd rather see them get a promotional value out of it (and help defray the expense of the site) than a comp. of board member's music.

Definitely in addition to the Tribute CD! We aren't going to let you guys off the hook on that one. I also wouldn't mind seeing (and paying for) an Organissimo live disc if you've got some tracks off the soundboard.

But if funds are needed for the site in the future, a member disc might be another option that would be less labor intensive for you guys.