The Organissimo tribute CD

I've always thought that "Stompin' at the Savoy" was ripe for an organ trio version. I don't know if anyone else has done it.

Shirley Scott did it on Let Em Roll...

Now my picks for tunes...

organ not really classics...

The Holy Land

One Mint Julep

Emergency

Gibralter

Pop tunes that I've always wanted to see done that would smoke on an organ...

Band of Gold (Supremes)

Endangered Species (P-Funk)

No Quarter (Zeppelin)

Fairies Wear Boots (Black Sabbath)

How Soon Is Now (The Smiths) (note, done with a Mr. Kenyatta groove, this can be a modal smoker)

okay, that's enough from me...

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No!!!

I vote for Brazil played with some New Orleans funk rhythm underneath ...

The Ape Women would be nice,

and that Zappa tune from Zoot Allures someone mentioned in that jazzy Zappa thread.

Go ahead, you will sell more than of the first CD, I can feel it coming.

Edited by mikeweil

Awesome idea, guys.

I'll give a third shout out for Mr. Kenyatta/How Soon Is Now. What a cool idea!

I would also love to hear your take on "More Today Than Yesterday" ala Charles Earland

AND

An organ trio version of "Jeannine" similar to Cannons version on Them Dirty Blues.

Can't wait!

Oh yeah, Band of Gold is by Frieda Payne. B) :)

Ah yes, LeeAnn. Great tune. I think we'll save Tenderley for the "real" disc. We already recorded a version of it in the "real" studio, so...

I love the ballad Laura. Nice tune. That's a good one.

So now that we have four people asking for "Ghetto Walk" I'm going to swallow my pride come clean. I don't think I've ever heard Ghetto Walk and I have no idea who does it. Fill me in, please.

How Soon Is Now (by The Smiths) (note, done with a Mr. Kenyatta groove, this can be a modal smoker)

I'll second that!

I had never thought of that song this way. That would be GREAT!

:tup

YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please do consider doing this, or at least something like this. I think this disc definitely needs one organ-trio take on a modern pop tune of some sort, and "How Soon Is Now" would be FANTASTIC!!!!!

Anyone else think so????

Here's a link to a Smith's greatest hits album, with a sample of the tune (look for track #6 - "How Soon Is Now"): CLICK HERE

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Please do consider doing this, or at least something like this. I think this disc definitely needs one organ-trio take on a modern pop tune of some sort, and "How Soon Is Now" would be FANTASTIC!!!!!

I'm not familiar with that particular tune, but I must admit a weakness for the approach (including a current pop tune) on the organ stuff I have. I thought it was just my lowbrow musical taste...

I second "Moontrane."

How about "The Ghetto Walk" from the IN A SILENT WAY SESSIONS? I want to hear Joe G up in that!

You guys are gonna kill me! :) I've always wanted to do Moontrane but it's a harder tune that it sounds. I'll have to work on that puppy! :)

I like these ideas. Keep 'em coming.

Moontrane? Man, these guys aren't throwin' any softballs are they.... ;)

...oh, and by the way, can you do a note-perfect version of jimmy smith's "live at small's paradise" Indiana??? B)