The Organissimo tribute CD

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta do the beautiful "Laura"

This may be sacrilege, but PLEASE don't do "Laura." Not because I don't think you guys can do it, but just because it's already been done to death.

If you'd like a burn of "The Ghetto Walk," I'll be happy to oblige. It's a pretty long song, but I've got software that will let me break it up into separate sections, so you can jump to specific parts of the song.

Gotta do the beautiful "Laura"

This may be sacrilege, but PLEASE don't do "Laura." Not because I don't think you guys can do it, but just because it's already been done to death.

Not speaking about "Laura" specifically, but there could be some other suggestions that are like this too. Let's get some really INTERESTING material on this disc -- stuff that there aren't a dozen versions of already. (I can't place "Laura" specifically, but I understand what Big Al is saying...)

One thing I think we should keep in mind is that these guys are a working trio. There are things they do now, and feel very comfortable playing. They've "got them under their fingers" already as Joe said earlier.

I think to include those along with maybe a COUPLE of more that are not already in their book would be fair. Working up a CDs worth of unfamiliar and difficult material not of your own choosing....well, that's a LOT of work. These guys are already working on a true CD, so they've got their hands full already.

I guess my point, and my suggestion, is to go easy. Let's pick a couple of NEW tunes for them. And let them fill out the rest with stuff they already do. Maybe they could have TWO POLLS. One that would include the songs they ALREADY do. And one poll that would compile our suggestions, which we'd vote on and take the top 2 (or whatever number Organissimo thought reasonable.)

These guys MIGHT be up for learning more. But if it were me, 2 would be plenty to start from scratch on and get ready for a recording. However, I could be totally off here. Jim, Joe and Randy....let us know. I'm just trying to put my 2 cents worth in here. Feel free to ignore.... :D

What the.. oh come on Moose! ;)

SoulStream=the voice of reason. There were three tunes new to us that got multiple requests: Moontrane, that Smiths tune, and Ghetto Walk. Those plus some of what we already do sounds most likely. You guys do want us to get this thing done sometime within the next year, don't you? :g But if impossible would be so kind as to compile that list, we'll move forward from there.

Scott B: I guess it's all you, buddy. :P

One thing I think we should keep in mind is that these guys are a working trio. There are things they do now, and feel very comfortable playing. They've "got them under their fingers" already as Joe said earlier.

I think to include those along with maybe a COUPLE of more that are not already in their book would be fair. Working up a CDs worth of unfamiliar and difficult material not of your own choosing....well, that's a LOT of work. These guys are already working on a true CD, so they've got their hands full already.

I guess my point, and my suggestion, is to go easy. Let's pick a couple of NEW tunes for them. And let them fill out the rest with stuff they already do. Maybe they could have TWO POLLS. One that would include the songs they ALREADY do. And one poll that would compile our suggestions, which we'd vote on and take the top 2 (or whatever number Organissimo thought reasonable.)

These guys MIGHT be up for learning more. But if it were me, 2 would be plenty to start from scratch on and get ready for a recording. However, I could be totally off here. Jim, Joe and Randy....let us know. I'm just trying to put my 2 cents worth in here. Feel free to ignore.... :D

This is a great idea. Either Jim or Joe makes up a poll of ten choices each. The first poll has stuff you guys are pretty familiar with already. Then the other poll would have stuff that you don't know but are interested in doing. Then you take perhaps the top five of each poll.

Just make sure "Leeann" is in one of the polls. :g

I don't have much to add except concerning copyrights. Since this will be most likely such a limited run, I'm not going to worry about copyrights for the moment. I'm assuming out of the 500+ members we have maybe 100 or 150 will buy the disc, maybe. So there's really no need to go through the hassle of copyrights since the payout will be so insignificant.

I like the poll idea. Make it so, Cat Shatner! :)

Careful with the way polls work on this board. You can only vote for ONE choice. Better to have a new thread where people vote for their top THREE choices in each of the two categories: 1) tunes the band already knows, and 2) tunes the band's gotta learn.

FWIW, some boards do have "multiple votes per person per poll" options, where you can check all the choices you want to vote for, and then vote for them all at one time. I think AAJ's board's softward does this. (But not so, here.)

In any case, I strongly think that doing these "tune" polls with the "choose only one tune" option is NOT the way to go with this. Just my perspective, for what it's worth...

Edited by Rooster_Ties

votes title composer or performer

7 The Ghetto Walk Miles Davis

6 Moontrane Woody Shaw

4 How Soon Is Now The Smiths

2 Brazil Barrasso, Russell

2 Ape Woman Lalo Schiffrin

2 Whiskey Drinkin Woman Lou Donaldson

-1 Laura Mercer/Raskin

Punjab Joe Henderson

x Organ Grinders Swing Big John Patton

Along Came John Big John Patton

Congo Chant Fathead? Patton?

Space Is the Place Sun ra

x Tyrone (Young's Dream) Larry Young

x The Yodel Big John Patton, Grant Green

Idle Moments Grant Green

The Sermon Jimmy Smith

Impressions John Coltrane

Somebody's Been Cuttin In On My Groove Wayne Cochran & The CC Riders

Message From A Black Man The Temptations

Stompin at the Savoy Benny Goodman

Just a Gigalo/I Ain't Got Nobody Louis Prima

Sing Sing Sing Louis Prima

Oops I Did It Again Britney Spears?

Lazy Afternoon Latouche/Morrose

The Holy Land Fathead

One Mint Julep Toombs

Emergency Tony Williams? Kool and the Gang?

Gibraltar Freddie Hubbard?

Band Of Gold Frieda Payne

Endangered Species Parliament

No Quarter Led Zepellin

Fairies Wear Boots Black Sabbath

Zoot Allures tune Frank Zappa

More Today Than Yesterday Spiral Staircase

Jeannine Duke Pearson

x Tenderly Gross/Lawrence

x LeeAnn Groove Holmes

Dem New York Dues Don Patterson

x Mellow Mood Ellington? Marley?

Deuces Wild Sonny Stitt, Don Patterson

Chitlins Con Carne Kenny Burrell

The Champ Jimmy Smith

Blues Part 4 Jimmy Smith

Planet Rock Afrika Bambaata

Webb City Bud Powell

Ritha Larry Young

Wise One John Coltrane

Love Drops Larry Young

Caravan Juan Tizol

A Night In Tunisia Gillespie

Round Midnight Monk

Wig Blues Lou Donaldson

Who's Makin Love Lou Donaldson

Ornithology Charlie Parker

Sentimental Journey Les Brown

Love Walked In Gershwin

A Spoonful of Sugar Sherman/Sherman

Root Down Jimmy Smith

Alligator Boogaloo Lou Donaldson

Midnight Creeper Lou Donaldson

Last Train Home Pat Metheny

x denotes song already in repertoire.

-1 denotes one vote for and one vote against :wacko:

Edited by impossible

All I can add is...good luck guys. ^_^

I'm already dizzy lookin' at this rather eclectic list... :wacko:

Also, Organ Grinder Swing isn't a Patton number. It's an old swing number done by Jimmy Smith and Jack McDuff among others in the organ catagory.

Congo Chant is a Patton tune on "Understanding."

Also, "Message from a Black Man" was on the live at the Keyclub Charles Earland CD.

Also, despite other's objections I'm a big fan of stuff like "Laura." I'd be interested to see a list from the guys as to what standards they currently perform. Also, I'm all for current organ favs they do now like "Dem New York Dues" ect....

The ballads on your debut are absolutely gorgeous.

This one is way off beam but I've always felt Nick Drake's 'Things Behind The Sun' (from Pink Moon) is a natural for a jazz treatment.

I can hear Organissimo playing it in my head now!

Nice suggestion, Bev!

Personally, I'd like to hear a version of Nick Drake's "River Man" :D

Also, if you're still taking suggestions:

How about a version of Jitterbug Waltz based off the Eric Dolphy version from 1963. That would be cool. B)

Thanks for making that list, Impossible.

Now, Jim and Joe have to go through it and point out, say a top-10 or top-20 that they would be willing to do. Then they leave us with a vote to come up with another 5 or 10.

How's that?? We could then use Rooster's idea of naming our top 3 that were NOT already selected by Jim or Joe.

I think it is important that Jim and Joe choose what they want to play, and NOT US!!

We want to hear some quality stuff. :g

Basically just look at the list that impossible has compiled and choose from that.

(Big weekend confab now on the agenda for Jim and Joe and Randy! ;) )

Edited by connoisseur series500

Also, Organ Grinder Swing isn't a Patton number. It's an old swing number done by Jimmy Smith and Jack McDuff among others in the organ catagory.

Also, "Message from a Black Man" was on the live at the Keyclub Charles Earland CD.

I had to take stabs at a few of these... look at the list for gosh sake!

I meant to type "Jimmy Smith" beside Organ Grinders. Its not important anyway. What's important is that Organissimo start working on MOONTRANE! :D

I can't think of any grander gesture from a band. Has this been done before? This is way better than a "regular album!" :tup

Also, Organ Grinder Swing isn't a Patton number.  It's an old swing number done by Jimmy Smith and Jack McDuff among others in the organ catagory.

I had to take stabs at a few of these... look at the list for gosh sake!

I meant to type "Jimmy Smith" beside Organ Grinders. Its not important anyway. What's important is that Organissimo start working on MOONTRANE! :D

I can't think of any grander gesture from a band. Has this been done before? This is way better than a "regular album!" :tup

Yes. This is the wave of the futue. Enough of letting the artist decide what we want to hear. I mean, I we could have had Larry Young doing Bob Dylan songs for god's sake! :D