The Organissimo tribute CD

Moontrane? Man, these guys aren't throwin' any softballs are they.... ;)

My next suggestion (maybe seriously), could be a tune off Larry Young's "Mother Ship". Just hafta listen to it again, and see if any of them stand out as reasonable for an organ trio with guitar, since the original had two horns and no guitar.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moontrane?  Man, these guys aren't throwin' any softballs are they.... ;)

My next suggestion (maybe seriously), could be a tune off Larry Young's "Mother Ship". Just hafta listen to it again, and see if any of them stand out as reasonable for an organ trio with guitar, since the original had two horns and no guitar.

I'm glad you're taking it easy now and being more reasonable..."Mothership!" :o:excited:

Jim, I did a search and it seems that Mr Kenyatta is a Lee Morgan tune, which can be found on Search For a New Land. I believe you have that one, no? Peter Bernstein also did a version on Something's Burning.

Yep, I think they meant this one. Real nice groove indeed!

How about something real old fashoned, like "Sentimental Journey"?

"Moontrane", sure!

I'll buy this disc, too!

ubu

Just thinking out loud for a moment.

We are going to have to start organizing this input, I think, and take a look at what fits well together. This is starting to look like a fair amount of work to get everything "under our fingers". But that's a good thing, because I think it will be a good warmup for the "real" cd. Learning new tunes always helps, on many levels.

This is pretty cool, I have to admit. There are tunes here that we never would have thought of (some of which we've never heard of!). Thanks for the suggestions, everybody. :tup

Put a deadline on recommendations. Once the deadline is up, I can compile the list of recommendations for you. Any tunes you are unfamiliar with, but curious about, let me (or the board) know and we will put a few cdrs together, so each of you has one. Once you have listened to the disc a few times each, and together, you will know which tunes you are most interested in, and which tunes to cut.

Then its TIME FOR ORGANISSIMO TO GO TO WORK! Man, this is going to be fun (FOR US! :g )

If anyone has a better idea on how to organize this effort, bring it out.

this is not going to get you guys into trouble with publishers and copyright holders is it?

If so, I'd be more than happy to pay a few extra dollars for this puppy, in order for you guys to stay on the right side of the law on this one.

And while I'm at it, B3 - I know you said something like $5-$7 for this, but I'd easily go $10 or $12 for it, and I'm sure most people here would too. You guys are gonna have to spend time learning new tunes, and that's worth something.

Hell, make it an hour-long disc (or more!!!) and suggest a donation in the $10 to $20 range, and I'll bet most of us pony up $20. Especially if you're gonna be recording tunes that we're suggesting.

I was thinking that probably you are allowed to give away disks with copyrighted material. You can then decide to "give" a disk away as a token of thanks to anyone who makes a donation. So you won't be selling themand you won't be making a profit, because donations are not included in the books. I don't know anything about this really, and certainly not when it comes to american law. I believe there are some people on this board who are much better at it though.

Couw's suggestion kind of reminds me of what some people try to do to get around the "scalping" laws (if that's a term unfamiliar to our non-US members, those are laws that limit how much tickets to a popular event like a concert or sports event can be sold over the face value):

People would advertise that they're selling some common household item, say, a pen. But its a special pen, because for the low price of $250, we'll throw in, for free, tickets to the Springsteen concert or whatever.

In fact, funny story: A guy who lived on the same floor in the dorm once tried to do that and we decided to have some fun with him. One of us called him up and identified ourselves as a Florida State University police officr and gave him hell for trying to evade the scalping laws and told him that if his sign was still up the next time, he'll be arrested.

The next sound we heard was his door slamming and his very fast footsteps down the hall, racing to the bulletin board to remove his sign, muttering under his breath, 'Oh shit'. Then we saw him all over campus, taking down his sign!

We just about busted a gut. :g