Charlie Parker recordings I should listen to

papsrus

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not willing to drop the $$ for the complete Verve box right now, so I'm thinking this would be a good (cheap) introduction to Parker on Verve.

41VM7ZSF7CL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

You're right there! Contains the wonderful "Now's the Time" and "Laird Baird" sessions, his finest work on Verve IMHO! :tup

All of them? Amen to that brother. However, if you don't want to do that, the one thing you have to get is the Complete Savoy and Dial (the 8 disc set), plus the three disc Live Performances on Savoy. Bird's rendition of White Christmas is worth the whole set. Another essential is the Verve. If you don't want the Complete set (also 8 cds I think), Verve did a master set of about 3 or 4 cds).

The Jay McShann stuff is also great. The Upttown concert with Diz is also very good.

Not willing to drop the $$ for the complete Verve box right now, so I'm thinking this would be a good (cheap) introduction to Parker on Verve.

41VM7ZSF7CL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Seriously, this and the Jay McShann are good places to start. Someday you should maybe think seriously about getting the complete Dial recordings if you don't already have them, or get a copy from someone. Essential stuff.

(That Uptown Bird and Diz live disc is great, too.)

Charlie Parker recordings you should listen to:

All of 'em.

:g

Picked up the above mentioned title, and this: "Jay McShann -- Blues from Kansas City"

a587810ae7a02e3f75d0b110.L._AA240_.jpg

That's the one. Bird only solos on a few tracks, but the solos are amazing, and I've always liked Walter Brown's blues singing.

greg mo

All of 'em.

Picked up the above mentioned title, and this: "Jay McShann -- Blues from Kansas City"

That's the one. Bird only solos on a few tracks, but the solos are amazing, and I've always liked Walter Brown's blues singing.

greg mo

The is much more great Bird with McShann on the live recordings, most of which are in quite good sound. I recommend them VERY highly. They were avaliable on an LP and then CD entitled "Early Bird." They have since been released on many discs in Europe.

All of 'em.

greg mo

The is much more great Bird with McShann on the live recordings, most of which are in quite good sound. I recommend them VERY highly. They were avaliable on an LP and then CD entitled "Early Bird." They have since been released on many discs in Europe.

There's a great session from Dec. 1950 - a WJZ broadcast from Birdland that has some of the greatest Bird I've heard - Bird w. Red Rodney, Kenny Drew, Curley Russell, & Blakey. Bird is on fire and the rest of the band is right with him. The set begins with a version of "Anthropology" taken at an insane tempo. Kenny Drew was 22 when this was recorded, and this contains some of his best playing - certainly the most fiery I've heard. Art Blakey sounds like he was ready to explode. At times, it seems like Curley Russell's rock steady bass was all that was holding the band together. Listening to it again today, I had the feeling that if this music had been recorded in high fidelity it might blow my speakers apart.

I have it on a Royal Jazz CD, available here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00...7181&sr=8-1

Don't believe the review - The sound isn't much, but the music is fantastic. Incidentally, the rest of the CD contains three performances by Tony Fruscella, Bill Triglia, and probably Dave Schildkraut - not Bird, as the liners advertise.

I have the vast majority of what has been issued by Bird, but I don't have this session. Just ordered the Royal Jazz CD - I've had Royal Jazz Vol. 1 for years; don't know why I never got Vol. 2. Thanks for the review.

I listened to this set for the first time last night, and I agree with Paul that the music just smokes. The transfer drives me crazy, though - the pitch is between a half step and a whole step sharp. When I get a chance, I'm going to dump it into Audacity and try my hand at some pitch correction.

Thanks again for the tip on this music.

Edited by jeffcrom

I like the Live at Rocklands a lot. BTW Where can one fin the Open Door material? I did 't see it at Amazon or CDUniverse.

Anyone care to opine on these two:

"Complete Live at the Cafe Society"

51F713LOV+L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

"Complete Live at the Rockland Palace"

510NmFFQsWL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

CORRECTED: The first is a collection of 1950 live recordings at Cafe Society comprised of medium-tempo tunes and ballads that were somewhat rare for Parker to perform at this stage of his career. Band includes Kenny Dorham on trumpet, Al Haig on piano, Tommy Potter on bass and Roy Haynes on drums.

Edited by papsrus

I like the Live at Rocklands a lot. BTW Where can one fin the Open Door material? I did 't see it at Amazon or CDUniverse.

Anyone care to opine on these two:

"Complete Live at the Cafe Society"

"Complete Live at the Rockland Palace"

CORRECTED: The first is a collection of 1950 live recordings at Cafe Society comprised of medium-tempo tunes and ballads that were somewhat rare for Parker to perform at this stage of his career. Band includes Kenny Dorham on trumpet, Al Haig on piano, Tommy Potter on bass and Roy Haynes on drums.

Both are essential IMO.

Cafe Society has an extended *Lover Come Back to Me* that has some of the best Bird you can hear.

Rockland has a version of *Lester Leaps In* that is simply miraculous.

Q

you have to hear the Jay McShann bird acetates this dude i know found in a K.C. radio station

you also have to hear bird with a b3 organ (milt buckner) the only known eg. of bird w/ organ

bird do 20 min lover come back to me with mundell lowe and tony scott

bird sittin in w/ woody herman doin four brothers n shit

bird sittin w/ kenton

I'm confused (I'm often confused)about the Birdland material. I have a 4 disc box set on Ember. People keep writing about 2 volumes. Also, though the Ember box claims to be complete I haves a vague memory that Ember also released a cd of some more Birdland material plus some from Cafe Society. Anyone have that one?

you have to hear the Jay McShann bird acetates this dude i know found in a K.C. radio station

you also have to hear bird with a b3 organ (milt buckner) the only known eg. of bird w/ organ

bird do 20 min lover come back to me with mundell lowe and tony scott

bird sittin in w/ woody herman doin four brothers n shit

bird sittin w/ kenton

I have a couple of these on cd. Do you mind telling us what cds they're all on or if they are?

I'm confused (I'm often confused)about the Birdland material. I have a 4 disc box set on Ember. People keep writing about 2 volumes. Also, though the Ember box claims to be complete I haves a vague memory that Ember also released a cd of some more Birdland material plus some from Cafe Society. Anyone have that one?

I received the ember Birdland 4-disc box that you have the other day (wonderful!) and did notice that it's subtitled "Vol. 1." Rest assured it contains all of the material on the two separate 2-disc Birdlands that are titled "Vol. 1" and "Vol. 2."

Don't know about the additional ember release you refer to with more Birdland material and Cafe Society.