2009 Connoisseurs

AndrewHill

hm, I posted a reply in this thread today - was it deleted by the mods or was there some kind of technical problem?

It included some snide remarks about various "Blue Trane" editions but still no readily available reissue of "Cliff Jordan" or the Tyrone Washington ablum... now if that's already something in need of moderation I'd be quite worried, but I hope it was just some technical issue, otherwise I'd like to know!

I direct you to a recent interview w/ Cuscuna (http://www.openskyjazz.com/blog/?m=200905):

"The Blue Note Rudy Van Gelder series will continue to revisit more Blue Note classics. But the Blue Note vault is tapped out of releasable unissued material. That’s why we started what we call internally the discovery series, looking to outside sources for new discoveries. And we hit with a megaton bang starting it off with the Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane at Carnegie Hall. Charles Mingus At Cornell, and Horace Silver at Newport 1958 followed. We have a killer Freddie Hubbard album Without a Song - Live in Europe coming in June. Freddie was thrilled with this music - he told me he thought it was some of his best playing ever captured on tape. He was going to do a lot of press for it but alas… We are working on material by Andrew Hill and Wes Montgomery next."

Keep on hoping EMI will approve some more reissues but don't count on it. Business is shrinking by the minute and although BN reissues make at least some money they are likely to go the download route.

For those who still question my words.....I spoke to MC in person last week.

Michael said "releasable unissued material", so that isn't referring to any Sounds LPs that might be reissued. And he's said that the sales figures weren't very good on the previous Sounds reissues, making it unlikely we'd see more.

Sure I'd love to see an RVG. I don't think we will for a while.

It's interesting that this has been in print since 1990. It must sell enough to be kept in stock. . . they're likely to not mess with that for now. I wonder why Blues Walk sells that much though, just curious. It's a solid album.