Songs that demand to be played loud

kulu se mama

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PMG -- First Circle

John Scofield Band -- Philiopiety and Like the Moon, from up all night

Anything by Iron Maiden or Dio, if heard in the van on the radio when Jim and I are driving home from the gig. Pretty rare to hear either of those, however.

Edited by Joe G

Don Pullen and Jack Bruce: "Rawalpindi Blues" from 'Darn It: Paul Haines / Kip Hanrahan'. You can almost see Don's knuckles coming through the speakers. Just freakin' beautiful stuff!!! :tup

oh yeah ubu! "Ain't Necessarily So"...Yikes!!!

come to think of it "Blue Pepper" from FES!

"Snagglepuss" from Naked City.

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

Free For All gets my vote for #1 choice.

also -

Slint - Spiderland

Black Flag - Damaged

Ramones - Its Alive

Misfits - Walk Among Us

Fugazi - Repeater

and most of the discs on Erstwhile need a lot of volume in order to hear a lot of the detail. This usually requires me to use headphones as my wife can't tolerate any Erst disc I've played so far.

I can't find the exact quatation right now, but the first Paul Butterfield Blues Band LP had an adnomition in a little box on the cover to the effect that 'to fully appreciate the sound of the PBBB we respectfully suggest that you play this record as loud as possible'. (of course given stereo technology in 1965(?) that generally wasn't that loud) It was, nonetheless, good advice.

Wayne Horvitz & Zony Mash: Cold Spell...Because Funk has to be loud. This funk has to be louder.

Superchunk: On The Mouth...Because it doesn't sound right quiet.

George Benson: Cookbook...Because I always sing off key, and I like to sing along with this one.

The Jesus Lizard: Show...Why Not?

My Bloody Valentine: Loveless...Loud is the only way you'll hear all of the layers upon layers of guitar.

The Smiths: The Queen Is Dead...? If Morrisey's gonna whine, he may as well whine with the amps turned up to 11.

Metallica: Kill Em All... You gotta ask?

Anthrax: State of Euphoria...See comments on Benson.

Joe Farrell: Moon Germs...Because everyone else needs to hear how good this is, too!

Miles Davis: It's About That Time...Electric Miles...more powerful than Zeppelin on PCP...

Edited by jazzypaul

I can't find the exact quatation right now, but the first Paul Butterfield Blues Band LP had an adnomition in a little box on the cover to the effect that 'to fully appreciate the sound of the PBBB we respectfully suggest that you play this record as loud as possible'. (of course given stereo technology in 1965(?) that generally wasn't that loud) It was, nonetheless, good advice.

Wasn't there something like that on Ziggy Stardust too? Going by memory; it's been many years...

Shit, I've got to pick up that 70s Bowie stuff again sometime... :(