Bobby Broom - Plays for Monk

GA Russell

Our very own Mark Sheldon did the photography for the release. Has that been mentioned yet? How cool is that?

.....wow, you guys actually look at the notes...I'm impressed.

The shoot was fun; I tried to get Bobby into the wagon if only for one shot but he wasn't buying it. He was sure I was going to use it for evil :crazy: .....not that I would consider doing that :rolleyes: . Resident jazz shrink Rob Viti attended the shoot last August and assisted; it was a makeshift studio in one of the rooms at Pete Millers during the off hours.

I think Bobby has a nice distinctive sound that I like it alot. I've had the opportunity to see/hear/photograph the band lots of times and they are always a joy to see; a pretty tight unit. Dennis and Kobie are great guys as well. Apparently Sonny thinks a lot of Kobie having now played with him for a couple years and Dennis is a first call bass player around Chicago and the midwest...have caught him with a ton of players..saw him recently with McPherson as well.

m

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Hersch and Bernstein CDs were dropped into my mailbox yesterday.

Broom may have the cool cover, but Bernstein's CD is a notch above Broom's - tighter trio concept and closer to Monk's essence - my hat is off!

The Hersch is another thing altogether - fascinating album - he treats Monk's music with love, respect, and care, but adds his own identity and music without obscuring Monk's moods - great!

Edited by mikeweil

Well I have this but didn't like it very much.

The bass player should raise his bridge because every other note slaps and boings on the fretboard. and I don't think the drummer has a very good concept concerning Monks music. Bobby Broom is OK, not great.

Sorry!

EVERY other note on the bass? Really?? Wow, some serious hater-ation going on in the form of opinion! I guess that's what these forums are for in part, huh?

Anyway, I'm sure Mr. Rollins will be considering your comments regarding Broom and Watkins soon... LOL :rolleyes:

In the meantime here's the perspective from Broom himself: http://www.youtube.com/watchv=Hzxm032sDMo&...F8&index=23

And info about his trio's upcoming tour dates:

http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs096/1...2635931584.html

Edited by stevens point

Stevens Point?

Is that you Russ Haines? Missed you at JazzWeek if it is.

OK, I admit, maybe it's every third note. But it is annoying, and I admit, not the kind of sound that I like ( who would?).

As for Sonny, who knows why he does what he does? He's had about 20 years of REALLY annoying percussionists playing with him!

Serious "hateration"? Geez, I said Sorry!

By the way, the record is still seriously mediocre.

Listen to the Motion or the Hersch mentioned above and you'll never go back to the Broom recording.

Mea maxima culpa and all that.

Stevens Point?

Is that you Russ Haines? Missed you at JazzWeek if it is.

OK, I admit, maybe it's every third note. But it is annoying, and I admit, not the kind of sound that I like ( who would?).

As for Sonny, who knows why he does what he does? He's had about 20 years of REALLY annoying percussionists playing with him!

Serious "hateration"? Geez, I said Sorry!

By the way, the record is still seriously mediocre.

Listen to the Motion or the Hersch mentioned above and you'll never go back to the Broom recording.

Mea maxima culpa and all that.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion(s) Tom and as they say "de gustibus..." (i.e. there's no accounting for taste) but clearly you are in the minority regarding Bobby Broom's CD -- and the fact that it is has been in the top-10 on the JazzWeek Top-50 chart for a month including 2 weeks at #5, is being played on 150 stations in North America and featured on XM, MusicChoice and several times as interlude music on NPR's "Morning Edition" clearly "Plays For Monk" is resonating with A LOT OF PEOPLE.

When I comment about things I do so from my life experience which is why I refrain from criticizing the playing of musicians since I can't play it better -- this goes for other areas besides music (for example would not DREAM of telling you how to pour concrete, buy building supplies, etc. :-).

By the way it is Motian not MOTION.

Have a nice day!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion(s) Tom and as they say "de gustibus..." (i.e. there's no accounting for taste) but clearly you are in the minority regarding Bobby Broom's CD -- and the fact that it is has been in the top-10 on the JazzWeek Top-50 chart for a month including 2 weeks at #5, is being played on 150 stations in North America and featured on XM, MusicChoice and several times as interlude music on NPR's "Morning Edition" clearly "Plays For Monk" is resonating with A LOT OF PEOPLE.

It sounds like there's some heavy promotion behind this disk.

I'm curious...I play guitar, I like Monk. I should like this album.

I've liked Broom in other settings, but based on the samples I've heard from this one, once the heads are played, you wouldn't really know what piece Broom is playing on, which is not what one wants (or rather what I want) when Monk's music is on the table. What I hear from Broom is mostly a lot of discreet slippery grease and fancy-pants chordal manuevering (that last trait often invading the heads as well).

Hey, I've been called a "minority of one" more than once!

No big deal

Yeah I know it's MOTIAN. Sorry for the typo.

Edit: Bobby and Bobby Broom fans: I have several of your/his recordings in my collection that I dig, and enjoyed your/his playing with Mr. Rollins.

OK?

Edited by marcello

I think it's a very personal thing how far you can stray from Monk's concept and still sound Monkish - both from a listener's and a performer's perspective. I respect Broom's vision, and I love his playing.

Hopefully the trio will tour Germany some day.

Edited by mikeweil

I'm one of those (rare?) souls who usually prefers Monk covers played on anything but a piano. For that, I'd go to the original. Heard a few clips of Broom's Monk album and dug what I heard; still waiting to pick up the disk.

Joshua Breakstone did a cd of Monk tunes for guitar trio called Let's Call This Monk! on Double-Time Records which is pretty good. He tackles some of what I imagine are some of the less generally covered Monk tunes such as Brilliant Corners, Eronel, Humph, Work, and Let's Call This among others.

• 2 weeks later...

"I'm sure Mr. Rollins will be considering your comments regarding Broom and Watkins soon... "

actually, probably not, since Sonny hasn't listened to his rhythm section since, like, 1973....

Well, I hope you have more respect than to call "Sonny" a liar about his own opinion.

This is from a 2008 Rollins interview:

“I think of Bobby more as a musician than as a guitarist... All I know is that when I play with Bobby, I’m inspired to play. Having played with many musicians over the decades, I realize that Bobby is an extraordinary musician.”"

~ Sonny Rollins