OOP Mosaic sets found in warehouse

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Received the Capitol set today. Not often I get a second second chance. Thanks again, Hans.

To me the Capitol set has always seemed like kind of a strange assortment - some absolutely essential sessions, but also some odd inclusions. I'll be interested to hear what your favorite tracks/session turn out to be, since our tastes line up so often.

Wow.. 50 Herman sets gone in a few hours! That's impressive... Glad I got mine..:) I was told it was shipping on Friday...

I don't know if I'll like it.. but I've let one too many go by that I waffled about... Very happy I got a second chance... :excited: :excited:

According to someone on the Hoffman forum who called Mosaic today, they found 50 Woody Herman sets, 18 Classic Capitol Jazz sets, and about 100 Horace Parlan sets. The Parlan is the only set left.

I really like the Parlan set alot. Especially the sessions with Booker Ervin.

And some nice ones with both Turrentine brothers too, plus a few other names you can't go wrong with...

(A) Horace Parlan (p), Sam Jones (b), Al Harewood (d).

February 29,1960

(B) Horace Parlan (p), George Tucker (b), Al Harewood (d).

April 20,1960

(C) Tommy Turrentine (tp), Stanley Turrentine (ts), Horace Parlan (p), George Tucker (b), Al Harewood (d).

July 14,1960

(D) Horace Parlan (p), George Tucker (b), Al Harewood (d), Ray Barretto (cga).

December 6,1960

(E) Tommy Turrentine (tp), Stanley Turrentine (ts), Horace Parlan (p), George Tucker (b), Al Harewood (d).

March 18,1961

(F) Booker Ervin (ts), Grant Green (g), Horace Parlan,(p), George Tucker (b), Al Harewood (d).

June 18,1961

(G) Johnny Coles (tp), Booker Ervin (ts), Grant Green (g), Horace Parlan (p), Butch Warren (b), Billy Higgins (d).

February 15,1963

Received the Capitol set today. Not often I get a second second chance. Thanks again, Hans.

To me the Capitol set has always seemed like kind of a strange assortment - some absolutely essential sessions, but also some odd inclusions. I'll be interested to hear what your favorite tracks/session turn out to be, since our tastes line up so often.

Decided to listen to various sessions, rather than listen to entire CDs. So far: Zutty Singleton, Bobby Hackett, Paul Whiteman sessions, & the frist 2 Eddie Millers. So far, my impression is that although not everything is timeless music (some is), everything I've heard is at least enjoyable/fun to listen to. I'm glad I finally made the decision to pick this set up.

Not unusual for pressing plants to have over runs, shelve them and (if they are nice) eventually offer them to the label. Otherwise they are scrapped. I'd guess this means Mosaic has some partial sets too.

Color me confused.

I ordered the Parlan set, and it arrived last week. It's terrific.

But how does Mosaic not know whether it is sold out of a set or not? Don't they have inventory control software to let them know what has sold and what has not, ESPECIALLY since every box has a specific number in the limited edition run?

And here's what I find doubly interesting/concerning: my box that arrived last week is #3,465 of 5,000. I know they don't necessarily sell them in numerical order, but it raises a little doubt in my mind about the accuracy of their numbering system. How do they keep track of what number to assign a given box? Why didn't they know they'd never sold #3,465?

I'm not accusing Mosaic of any shady practices, but it does look a little sloppy and loosey-goosey.