LF Herb Ellis - Nothing But the Blues

Tom 1960

41FSS85WYBL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I'm not certain just how many wish to part with this release? I've always heard it was a pretty good date. I don't want to pay and arm and a leg. Reasonable offers, if possible accepted. Thanks.

It depends on whether you wish to buy from the Spaniards, but it's easily available (along with "Herb Ellis meets Jimmy Giuffre") on Lonehill Jazz LHJ10368.

I'm not certain just how many wish to part with this release? I've always heard it was a pretty good date. I don't want to pay and arm and a leg. Reasonable offers, if possible accepted. Thanks.

Yeah, saw one in a Chicago CD Exchange for $7 a couple of months back and I've been kicking myself ever since for not buying it :angry:

I have always considered it much better than just a pretty good date. Roy Eldridge, Stan Getz, Ray Brown, Stan Levey ... and Ellis really rises to the company and is not outplayed by anyone. Herb Ellis is truly inspired on this one.

Edited by John L

Yeah, saw one in a Chicago CD Exchange for $7 a couple of months back and I've been kicking myself ever since for not buying it :angry:

US Amazon is currently listing the Lonehill which combines Nothing But the Blues with Herb Ellis Meets Jimmy Guiffre at $7.66 new from IMPORTCDS.

Edited by BillF

US Amazon is currently listing the Lonehill which combines Nothing But the Blues with Herb Ellis Meets Jimmy Guiffre at $7.66 new from IMPORTCDS.

Thanks for the advice fellas. I wasn't aware of the Lone Hill release at an affordable price. Can anyone speak for the date with Jimmy Guiffre?

The date with Giuffre is mighty interesting - but don't expect many horn solos (I think only one title has some), it's Giuffre setting the stage for Ellis.

The blues album is close to perfection, in my opinion, great playing by all! I just recently bought a bit of a pricey copy from some amazon marketplace vendor, but I don't regret it!

For those interested, the two albums on the Lonehill were issued separately on CD, Nothing But the Blues, of course, on Verve 521 674-2, and Herb Ellis Meets Jimmy Giuffre in the Verve Elite series, 314 559 826-2. Both are recommended.

Just in case: that's how I have them... wouldn't spend much for the Lonehill twofer, but didn't mind doing so for the Verve CD.

Though I guess the album w/Giuffre is pretty impossible to find by now, and the blues one is OOP, so the Lonehill, alas, will be the easiest option nowadays...

I have the Lonehill, it is missing one track from the "Nothing But the Blues" session, I think it's a solo guitar number.

Typical of Lonehill, isn't it? They're so free with the word "complete" in their titles, too!

Just want to point out that as far as I can tell, the lonehill referenced above seems to include the original 8 tracks, but does not have the four live bonus tracks included on the Verve reissue that I received today -- which btw has a very nice, crisp sound. The live JATP bonus tracks add Hawkins, Peterson and Gillespie to the original lineup of Ellis, Eldridge, Getz and Ray Brown. Gus Johnson replaces Stan Levey on drums for these last four tracks.

Very pleased. Unless you want the Giuffre as part of a lonehill two-fer, I'd go for this verve reissue.

The bonus tracks are the Les Tricheurs session, a different session entirely, but also with Eldridge and Getz + Coleman Hawkins thrown in for good measure.

They are on the Japanese mini lp version too?

I thought not, although Amazon's tracklist for the import inclues those four tracks. I only have the US edition with bonus tracks, but I would point out that the liner notes refer to the four bonus sessions also appearing on CD with a soundtrack featuring Art Blakey: Des Femmes Disparaissent/Les Tricheurs [sOUNDTRACK] . This latter CD is available from Amazon starting at $10 (I have no connection to any sellers).

So, if it is worthwhile to get the import, and it lacks the bonus cuts, one can still find those cuts on a different CD.

I have the Lonehill, it is missing one track from the "Nothing But the Blues" session, I think it's a solo guitar number.

Typical of Lonehill, isn't it? They're so free with the word "complete" in their titles, too!

Just want to point out that as far as I can tell, the lonehill referenced above seems to include the original 8 tracks, but does not have the four live bonus tracks included on the Verve reissue that I received today -- which btw has a very nice, crisp sound. The live JATP bonus tracks add Hawkins, Peterson and Gillespie to the original lineup of Ellis, Eldridge, Getz and Ray Brown. Gus Johnson replaces Stan Levey on drums for these last four tracks.

Very pleased. Unless you want the Giuffre as part of a lonehill two-fer, I'd go for this verve reissue.

Yes, you're right, it was my mistake, I checked the Lonehill I have and it is missing the solo track "Patricia" from the Giuffre album. They don't say anything about this edition being complete either, to be fair.