John Coltrane - Side Steps 5-CD

Tjazz

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got the Fearless Leader set in the mail today -- I ordered on Wed. from Bargain Entertainment. That was quick!

But I've only gotten up to disc 2 of Side Steps and have never heard any of the material on either of these sets with the exception of the Soul Junction album, so I'm about to head into early Coltrane overdose. Looks like it will be a fun weekend!

Just got the Fearless Leader set in the mail today -- I ordered on Wed. from Bargain Entertainment. That was quick!

But I've only gotten up to disc 2 of Side Steps and have never heard any of the material on either of these sets with the exception of the Soul Junction album, so I'm about to head into early Coltrane overdose. Looks like it will be a fun weekend!

I ordered Fearless Leader from the same source on Wed..

Hopefully they had more than 1 copy & mine will arrive soon.

Yes, they definately do as they are still showing that they have units available on their Amazon Marketplace page. I imagine you'll get yours tomorrow, if not then definately on Monday. I live in L.A. so its a straight shot from NJ to LAX, which may explain why it came so quickly.

BTW, the item arrived perfect except as someone else noted that the upc was slightly gouged. Man, as someone else mentioned in another thread there has got to be a place in hell for the individual who sits there gouging out the UPCs. Anyway, getting this box has saved me so much because I had planned to pick up Soultrane, Traneing IN, Lush Life, Black Pearls, Coltrane and others -- none of which I have or even have heard. Can't wait to dig in.

Edited by Norm

Yes, they definately do as they are still showing that they have units available on their Amazon Marketplace page. I imagine you'll get yours tomorrow, if not then definately on Monday. I live in L.A. so its a straight shot from NJ to LAX, which may explain why it came so quickly.

BTW, the item arrived perfect except as someone else noted that the upc was slightly gouged. Man, as someone else mentioned in another thread there has got to be a place in hell for the individual who sits there gouging out the UPCs. Anyway, getting this box has saved me so much because I had planned to pick up Soultrane, Traneing IN, Lush Life, Black Pearls, Coltrane and others -- none of which I have or even have heard. Can't wait to dig in.

You know, they don't gouge the UPCs out of spite. It's a requirement for selling cut-outs. If you want the box for $15, you'll have to deal with a gouge or a cut or a hole in the case; if not, you can always pay full price for a non-overstock/remaindered copy.

You know, they don't gouge the UPCs out of spite. It's a requirement for selling cut-outs. If you want the box for $15, you'll have to deal with a gouge or a cut or a hole in the case; if not, you can always pay full price for a non-overstock/remaindered copy.

Yes, I do realize that. I was being more tongue-in-cheek than anything else, just kind of joking (that line about special place in hell I saw in another thread on the forum and it just made me laugh. I guess its just funny to think of the guy who is sitting there all day gouging the UPCs). Anyway, its well worth it (for me at least) to get it at this price.

My only complaint is with the booklet, and even that is a minor one: mostly discographical stuff like incorrect track listings when notating which side of a record the songs are on, as well as other typos whose details apparently are so minute their escaping my cluttered mind.

The typos I've noticed all have to do with release dates. I'm really interested in release dates since most discographies only give recording dates and you don't get a sense of when the music began to be noticed or have an influence. (I've been working on trying to get the release dates on Miles's 1954-61 sessions and have really had trouble with the Prestige releases.)

So we're told that High Pressure, Dig It and the Ray Draper Quintet were released in '57 but each of them have cuts that weren't recorded until December of that year. I don't think that the Prestige marketing department was that efficient. Ammon's Groves Blues is also listed as being released in '57 and most of it wasn't recorded until '58.

And (not a release date mistake) right under the heading "May 7, 1956 Elmos Hope" the first sentence begins "It was not until May of '57......... that Weinstock called on him for a date other than with Miles Davis".

However the music's great. I wasn't familiar with any of the cuts on disc 5 and I think Coltrane is amazing on both tenor and alto.

my local record shop Music City, I came home today with Fearless Leader and Interplay as a package deal $45! The owner Benny, a nice guy, I had explained that they were sawcut and priced incorrectly at $50, whereas the internet sells the same sawcut versions for $15, so I said "howabout selling me both for $40-50?" he agreed to sell me both sets for just $45, woohoo!!!! Strange tho as the first two sets have the discs affixed to plastic hubs but "Side Steps" has them in pockets. Still it looks better and more complete to have all three on the shelf now. Hate having to remove disc 2 to get to disc 1, vice versa. I'll just put it in a plastic case for a second to safely remove it.