The Hollies - Any Fans?

JSngry

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An interesting band to say the least. I bought the group's box set, The Long Road Home thinking that with all the great singles they did, there would have to be a fair number of hidden gems just awaiting discovery. Well, as it turns out, not so much. This truly was a singles band in the mold of the Dave Clark Five, The Searchers and probably a number of others that escape recollection right now. Still, they did what they did do very well. I'm with Dan, Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress gets me every time. Bus Stop and Carrie Ann run it a close second. On the other hand, if I never hear He Ain't Heavy again, that'll be fine with me.

Up over and out.

For some reason, a lot of their songs didn't resonate with me like some of the other british bands. I thought they had a good sound, but even some of their bigger singles in the 60's seem weak to me from a writing perspective (I just listened to a bunch of them at Youtube, and didn't find much to enjoy).

"Long Cool Woman..." got a ton of airplay when I was in high school, but I never liked it. On the other hand, I just listened to He Ain't Heavy..., and I think it still stands up very well (it wasn't necessarily a favorite of mine back in the day, but that's probably partly due to being bombarded with it on radio AND tv).

This truly was a singles band in the mold of the Dave Clark Five, The Searchers and probably a number of others that escape recollection right now.

Dave, I've got to disagree with you about The Searchers. I had their three US albums recorded after Tony was replaced by Frank, and I still think they're terrific 45 years later! As I recall, they were called The New Searchers LP, #4 and Take Me For What I'm Worth.

"Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress" was a huge favorite of mine when I was about eight years old - right up until now.

An interesting band to say the least. I bought the group's box set, The Long Road Home thinking that with all the great singles they did, there would have to be a fair number of hidden gems just awaiting discovery. Well, as it turns out, not so much. This truly was a singles band in the mold of the Dave Clark Five, The Searchers and probably a number of others that escape recollection right now. Still, they did what they did do very well. I'm with Dan, Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress gets me every time. Bus Stop and Carrie Ann run it a close second. On the other hand, if I never hear He Ain't Heavy again, that'll be fine with me.

Up over and out.

Bus Stop always is a favorite of mine. Regarding "Long Cool Woman" it did not sound like a Hollies song to me, when I hear it, it reminds of a CCR song (one of my favorite groups, so this is not a knock on the song; particularly reminded me of "Green River"). I don't know which tune came first. Of course, everything is derivative of something, but I wonder if anyone else heard this similarity.

Regards,

Baker

Consider this run from late '65 on thru early '69:

"Look Through Any Window"

"If I Needed Someone"

"I Can't Let Go"

"Bus Stop"

"Stop! Stop! Stop!"

"On a Carousel"

"Pay You Back With Interest"

"Carrie Anne"

"King Midas In Reverse"

"Dear Eloise"

"Jennifer Eccles"

"Do The Best You Can"

"Listen To Me"

"Sorry Suzanne"

The ones in bold are the pinnacle afaic, but c'mon, these are all well-crafted, well-preformed radio-ready nuggets with a distinct musical and lyrical POV. That's doing something!

And the vocals remind me of Everly Brothers brought back across the ocean and reintroduced back to their origins, indirectly.

Besides the amazing vocals, check out the tight but energetic playing on "On a Carousel". Pretty damn in there, eh?

I think The Hollies should be respected for their 1960s work. Like I sad, the 70s/beyond stuff is ok for them that want it, but me, give me this.

Big Hollies fan here. Yes, they have high voices, which makes them a little too "teen" sounding for some, but I'm always a sucker for good vocal harmony, and well-crafted tunes.

They were able to survive Graham Nash's departure around 1968, and went on to make some very fine music in the early 70's. In recent years Allen Clarke is out of the band, and Carl Wayne (formerly of the Move) has been lead singer. I wonder how they sound today?

Original bassist was Eric Haydock, replaced by Bernie Calvert around 1965. Calvert stayed well in to the 70's. When was Frankie Allen in the band?

About those high voices....I swear that I'm now hearing more than faint echoes of traditional "mountain" harmony in there...attributed to the influence Everley Brothers as I understand, but they got it from the American appaliachians, who in turn brought it over from Scotland/Ireland/etc, so wouldn't that end up being a British Invasion in reverse?

No matter...there's some damn tricky harmonizing going on in some ofthose '60s sides. Very musical, very specific, and very uncliched.

About those high voices....I swear that I'm now hearing more than faint echoes of traditional "mountain" harmony in there...attributed to the influence Everley Brothers as I understand, but they got it from the American appaliachians, who in turn brought it over from Scotland/Ireland/etc, so wouldn't that end up being a British Invasion in reverse?

No matter...there's some damn tricky harmonizing going on in some of those '60s sides. Very musical, very specific, and very uncliched.

Also a big bluegrass fan for the same reasons. The "magic" of that clear high harmony really appeals to me, whether it's the Stanley Brothers or the Hollies.

Big Hollies fan here. Yes, they have high voices, which makes them a little too "teen" sounding for some, but I'm always a sucker for good vocal harmony, and well-crafted tunes.

They were able to survive Graham Nash's departure around 1968, and went on to make some very fine music in the early 70's. In recent years Allen Clarke is out of the band, and Carl Wayne (formerly of the Move) has been lead singer. I wonder how they sound today?

Original bassist was Eric Haydock, replaced by Bernie Calvert around 1965. Calvert stayed well in to the 70's. When was Frankie Allen in the band?

The box set includes a fairly detailed band "family tree", but I am unable to find a bassist by the name of Frankie Allen. Calvert was with the group until 1981 and was replaced by Steve Stroud and then by Ray Stiles who, at least up until the point the box was issued in 2003, remained with the band.

Up over and out.

Dave, I've got to disagree with you about The Searchers. I had their three US albums recorded after Tony was replaced by Frank...

Never really liked the Hollies. Frankie Allen, their bass player, used to play down my way with Cliff Bennett & the Rebel Rousers. Then he got a better-paying gig.

MG

The box set includes a fairly detailed band "family tree", but I am unable to find a bassist by the name of Frankie Allen.

MG, Frank left Cliff Bennett to join The Searchers, not The Hollies. AFAIK, he is still with them, 45 years later.

Sorry - he was in the Searchers.

:blush2:

MG

MG, Frank left Cliff Bennett to join The Searchers, not The Hollies. AFAIK, he is still with them, 45 years later.

You beat me to the punch (Mary Wells)

MG