now I'm nervous: recording with Matt Shipp (on organ!) and

AllenLowe

didn't think I could coordinate this, but it looks like it's coming off - thanks to Medjuck, who found me a terrific studio in Williamsburgh (I just did a session there with Matt) - will be a trio of me, Matt and Roswell -

this is for a blues-project CD to be issued in 2010.

gotta write some down-home stuff. And for all you organ fans out there, Shipp will probably be playing that type of keyboard - going for a dirty, funky thing.

Edited by AllenLowe

sure - send me an email at alowe5@maine.rr.com and we can make arrangements -

I'm a little nervous because I have to write (and practice - will do some on alto and guitar) - but it's a great studio, old-fashioned in the sense that it has great natural acoustics - I also have a vague sense of the historic importance of getting Shipp and Rudd on tape, together - also looking forward to using he organ in a very basic, down-home way - the way Matt plays it should have a nice and odd avant-garde funk to it -

Edited by AllenLowe

thanks, MG. As for Matt on organ, think Ran Blake - (?)

just a guess, but give him some standard-like changes, and you can hear the influence. And he knocks me out on everything. Closest I can think of to another pianist who could go in so many directions but ALWAYS remain himself was Jaki Byard.

the session we did about 2 weeks ago was about the most enjoyable experience I've ever had. In 15 years up here, I sorta forgot what it's like to hand someone some music and have them transform it in the way he does - personalize it but stay near the essence of the song. Matt is really incredible.

As for Roswell, well, to use that worn-out word, he's a genius. I'm gonna write us some very basic blues, very repetitive but tonally ambiguous. We will see what happens.

this new project is important to me for a lot of reasons - I've rarely been fully happy with my playing on recordings - best thing was New Tango - problem was always composing and arranging these complicated things while working a day job - so my own playing tended to come last. Saxophone-wise, I'm feeling the best I've felt in a long time, though it's still difficult to keep the chops up with no actual gigs, just home-playing. In this case the music is mostly written already, and will only be for one or two voices, so I'm hoping to keep it together instrumentally. Also, loving the alto these days (used to play tenor). It helps to have two musicians who are the most easy-going people I've ever worked with; no b.s., take the music and run with it.

didn't think I could coordinate this, but it looks like it's coming off - thanks to Medjuck, who found me a terrific studio in Williamsburgh (I just did a session there with Matt) - will be a trio of me, Matt and Roswell -

this is for a blues-project CD to be issued in 2010.

gotta write some down-home stuff. And for all you organ fans out there, Shipp will probably be playing that type of keyboard - going for a dirty, funky thing.

Success to your project!

Your previous collaboration with Roswell Rudd in Dark Was The Night, Cold Was The Ground cd produced great, great music for my ears. I will be one of the first buyers of another cd from you, particoulary one with Matthew Shipp and Rudd.

BEST wishes mr.Lowe.

Edit: "he's a genius. I'm gonna write us some very basic blues, very repetitive but tonally ambiguous. We will see what happens. "

A line like this already gaves me goose bumps, indeed

Edited by ArmandoPeraza