INA's jazz vaults

brownie

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the Fondation Maeght. A museum in a beautiful setting on the French Riviera. The Maeghts have been very open to contemporary art. Albert Ayler, Cecil Taylor and Sun Ra are among the artists who played there and were royally treated during their stay there.

Cecil told me as much recently. He was set up with a beautiful apartment with a grand piano. But then Cecil digressed, typically, into some kind of snipe against Stockhausen, who was there at the same time.

I was always fascinated by the photos on the Sun Ra Shandar recordings from the Fondation Maeght. Looks like they played inside a big tent.

About ten years ago I was on a plane from Paris to NY and was seated next to a boy, about eight years old, traveling alone. He was Maeght's grandson. Spoke excellent English.

Edited by Michael Weiss

great Hawes from 1971 - and Bud is God.

I'll tell you what I like about most of these - the musicians just play and don't make any funny faces. I'm not kidding. I'm from the Appalachian school - just play, don't grimace and twist your lips so it'll seem like you've got more feeling. Concentrate on the music.

Edited by AllenLowe

Stan Getz and Paris fashions in 1969. The Getz group includes Stanley Cowell on piano, Miroslav Vitous on bass and Jack deJohnette on drums.

Stan Getz with Michel Legrand with Georges Arvanitas on piano.

More Getz with Michel Legrand

Stan Getz with René Thomas and the 1971 superb quartet with Eddy Louiss and Bernard Lubat

Hi,

Here's a document which could be very usefull for all of you: it's an allmost complete index of all the jazz musicians that can be found on Ina.fr (sidemen are not included, though).

INA_Musicians_Index.pdf

The first page is about the videos, the second one about the radio sessions (but it seems that some of the audio material mentionned is not yet available on the site). It's taken from an INA press report available online.

With the help of this list, I could find many other videos such as:

Keith Jarrett 1969

Bill Evans Trio 1972

Ahmad Jamal Trio 1971

And there's a lot more to enjoy!

Edited by Chat qui pêche

The Musicians index is unfortunately not complete.

For instance, no mention of Lucky Thompson's (and others including Louis Armstrong, Bobby Jaspar and the Bob Shots, Rex Stewart, Mezz Mezzrow) appearance on this audio from the 1948 jazz festval in Nice:

http://www.ina.fr/audio/PHD85024562/conste...de-nice.fr.html

A very interesting audio!

The audio section of the INA vaults include fascinating broadcasts. They seem to be available for free!

The 1948 jazz festival at Nice featuring Louis Armstrong, Rex Stewart, Lucky Thompson, Bobby Jaspar and others...

Modern jazz at the 1958 Cannes jazz festival featuring Dizzy Gillespie, Stan Getz, Barney Wilen, Tete Montoliu, Martial Solal and others...

Don Byas in Saint-Tropez - complete with seafishing equipment - plays 'Tea for Two' with his group including guitarist Bob Aubert, bassist Jacques B. Hess (who lays off on this one), drummer Jacques David and others...

The musicians are introduced by Marcel Romano (with sunglasses)!

Edited by brownie

René Urtreger is another French pianist well represented at INA.

René Urtreger with Sacha Distel and Paul Rovere and Jean6louis Viale in 1958

René Urtreger Trio with Gilbert Rovere and Daniel Humair in 1970

H.U.M. trio (Daniel Humair, René Urtreger, Pierre Michelot) play Dameron's Tadd Delight in 1960

same goes for Georges Arvanitas

Arvanitas/H.U.M.. The Georges Arvanitas quintet with Bernard Vitet on trumpet and François Jeanneau on tenor in 1961 in a sow tat also features H.U.M. (Humair, Urtreger and Michelot)

Arvanitas at Club St.Germain in 1959 withBernard Vitet, Bob Garcia on tenor, Luigi Trussardi on bass and Mac Kac on drums play J.J. Johnson's 'Wee Dot'

No idea. It might be a theme written by Cecil Payne or Kenny Drew. But it's not part of the score Payne and Drew composed for 'The Connection'. At least, I don't recognize it as one of themes that they recorded for Charlie Parker Records

connection_cecilpayne_soundtrack_lp_jeff_nov2007.jpg

And it's not Slide Hampton's song either.