INA's jazz vaults

brownie

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no way do they have hank

Mobley spent time with (and I believe shared an apartment with) Philly Joe Jones in France. He also had an extended stay in London - maybe late 60's? I'm betting somewhere in the broadcast vaults of France and England there is footage of Mobley. Just look at all of the videos coming out of Europe - youtube, for example. I'm not a betting girl, but I'd bet there is Mobley footage; I just hope I get to see it in my lifetime!

no way do they have hank

Mobley spent time with (and I believe shared an apartment with) Philly Joe Jones in France. He also had an extended stay in London - maybe late 60's? I'm betting somewhere in the broadcast vaults of France and England there is footage of Mobley. Just look at all of the videos coming out of Europe - youtube, for example. I'm not a betting girl, but I'd bet there is Mobley footage; I just hope I get to see it in my lifetime!

Been hoping to see some Mobley come out from the INA vaults but none has surfaced yet and doubt there is any. Unfortunately, Mobley was a low profile musician when he stayed in France.

No Sonny Criss video yet either, even he was a very recognised musician when he was here. But some should surface some day. Know Criss was on a couple of TV shows.

no way do they have hank

Been hoping to see some Mobley come out from the INA vaults but none has surfaced yet and doubt there is any. Unfortunately, Mobley was a low profile musician when he stayed in France.

No Sonny Criss video yet either, even he was a very recognised musician when he was here. But some should surface some day. Know Criss was on a couple of TV shows.

Much more likely that there's French footage of Mobley than UK. I don't recall any mention of the BBC recording him and even if it had the chances are any footage would have been wiped in the great early 70s BBC tape purge. He certainly played Ronnie Scotts at least once and I think BillF said he saw him play a gig in Manchester. If film appears I'll eat my hat !

Editted to say - great finds, guy ! This INA site is the video jazz motherlode.

Edited by sidewinder

wait why are these just 1 min. clips? can we watch the whole thing?

many short clips are available for free but most of them have to be purchased. You have to register with INA but need to read french to do this.

Nobody's perfect!

[i havea question- did these musicans always like the european rhythm sections they were playing with, and did they ever miss not being able to take part in what was happening in america]

when they played with pianists of the caliber of Martial Solal or René Urtreger, everything went fine.

More problematic were a number of drummers but with people like Kenny Clarke and later Art Taylor and even later Philly Jo Jones, the matter was solved!

Nothing on Ayler from INA. There was no TV camera at his concert at the Salle Pleyel in 1966.

The Maeght foundation did film the 1970 Ayler concerts 'Les Nuits de la Fondation Maeght' but the films are being kept secure by the foundation and they are not handing them out!

The new Jazz Icons 4 series notes say that they have now gained access to the INA film vaults and expect to make future releases.

Yeah, in fact, the Jimmy Smith DVD in series 4 is from INA (they have their logo on the back of the cover).

Edited by Chat qui pêche

This is the Fondation Maeght. A museum in a beautiful setting on the French Riviera. The Maeghts have been very open to contemporary art.

Albert Ayler, Cecil Taylor and Sun Ra are among the artists who played there and were royally treated during their stay there.

The World needs more people like Aimé Maeght!

What the heirs do with what belongs to the Fondation is their business! I am pretty sure the videos of the concerts will be released some day...