INA's jazz vaults

brownie

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if I were to buy the DVDs from them, is there a reasonably priced all-region player that I can get to be guaranteed that I can watch them in the U.S.? I'm about to buy a new DVD player, so I want to make sure I can get one that plays anything. Any model anyone recommends?

Bertrand.

• 1 month later...

So if I were to buy the DVDs from them, is there a reasonably priced all-region player that I can get to be guaranteed that I can watch them in the U.S.? I'm about to buy a new DVD player, so I want to make sure I can get one that plays anything. Any model anyone recommends?

Bertrand.

I bought a DVD player that plays PAL and NTSC. The cost was 29 dollars at Best Buy. The brand was COBY. There no LCD with deck but it worked just fine until it fell.

• 1 month later...

had paid relatively little attention to the audio material so far... besides an hour of the AEC live in 1974 I just discovered a sequence of shows named "piano parade" from the mid fifties, such as this one:

http://www.ina.fr/audio/PHD99268047/piano-parade-du-30-novembre-1955.fr.html

(check out the beautiful Rene Thomas tune starting around minute 7 or 8)

"Les meilleurs jazzmen de la scène française se sont donnés rendez vous pour ce Piano parade qui présente les prestations en studio de Stéphane GRAPPELLI, SADI, Pierre FRANZINO, Raymond FOL, René THOMAS, Marcel AZZOLA, Henri RENAUD. Ils interprètent : - Stéphane GRAPPELLI et René THOMAS : "Honeysuckle Rose" - SADI : "Les Etoiles et vos yeux" - Pierre FRANZINO : "Encore" - Raymond FOL : "Le Rag de la rue sans loi" - René THOMAS : "Rien dans les mains" - Marcel AZZOLA : "Et bailler et dormir" - Henri RENAUD : "Tentation" - Stéphane GRAPPELLI et Pierre FRANZINO : "Les Petites choses""

there are more of these shows with Bobby Jaspar and others... some of these can even be streamed in their entirety

here's a link to an overview of the shows,

http://www.ina.fr/recherche/recherche?search=piano+parade&vue=Audio

Bill Coleman and Don Byas in 1949

http://www.ina.fr/audio/PHD86040645/troisieme-jam-session-publique-avec-bill-coleman-et-don-byas.fr.html

has all this been mentioned before?

Edited by Niko

had paid relatively little attention to the audio material so far... besides an hour of the AEC live in 1974 I just discovered a sequence of shows named "piano parade" from the mid fifties, such as this one:

"Les meilleurs jazzmen de la scène française se sont donnés rendez vous pour ce Piano parade qui présente les prestations en studio de Stéphane GRAPPELLI, SADI, Pierre FRANZINO, Raymond FOL, René THOMAS, Marcel AZZOLA, Henri RENAUD. Ils interprètent : - Stéphane GRAPPELLI et René THOMAS : "Honeysuckle Rose" - SADI : "Les Etoiles et vos yeux" - Pierre FRANZINO : "Encore" - Raymond FOL : "Le Rag de la rue sans loi" - René THOMAS : "Rien dans les mains" - Marcel AZZOLA : "Et bailler et dormir" - Henri RENAUD : "Tentation" - Stéphane GRAPPELLI et Pierre FRANZINO : "Les Petites choses""

there are more of these shows with Bobby Jaspar and others... some of these can even be streamed in their entirety

I have explored these 'Piano Parade' shows earlier. Very interesting broadcasts. I was disappointed with the absence of one of my piano hero Bernard Peiffer on those parades!

I got excited too soon: I thought there might be some film footage of Django (of which there is very little).

I have explored these 'Piano Parade' shows earlier. Very interesting broadcasts. I was disappointed with the absence of one of my piano hero Bernard Peiffer on those parades!

No parades indeed, but - just in case - did you see the stuff they filed under Bernard Pfeiffer?

Edited by Niko