Donald Bailey's woes

brownie

I grew up listening to and, on at least one occasion, playing with Bailey. He was (is!) a Bay Area institution. Seems like he and Eddie Marshall split 'house drummer' responsibilities for many years at several clubs. I don't think I ever went more than two weeks without seeing him somewhere, unless he wasd on an extended road trip. His Blueprints CD is one of exceptionally few I bought last year...and I'm glad I did.

Wish I could be there for the Yoshi's gig, but I'll be sending positive vibes (or something).

This Trio LP on Capri Records with Jimmy Rowles and Red Mitchell is where I got how special he is - some of the most subtle and diversified drumming I ever heard. I still try to figure out how he did some of the things on this album ...

74009.jpg

That's a wonderful disc! Brownie sent me a copy of it, had no idea it even existed, and indeed it was a great surprise to hear Bailey in such a setting!

Let's not forget the WONDERFUL job he did on George Braith's "Two souls in one", in particular the jungle of percussion he created on "Braith-away".

And he plays on Thornel Schwartz' "Soul cookin'" and Jack Wilson's "Jazz organs" - 2 good albums that few may have heard.

Also, he was on the live session that produced Esther Phillips' "Confessin' the blues" and "Burnin' at the Pied Piper". No organ on that one, as I recollect :)

He's given a LOT of pleasure over the years.

MG

He's in fine form (with Chuck Israels on bass) on Hampton Hawes' trio album "Here and Now" (OJC), -- remarkably loose and elliptical. I went on a bit about that one recently but can't recall on what thread.

P.S. It was on "What are You Listening To?" but I don't know how to track it down amid all those posts.

He's in fine form (with Chuck Israels on bass) on Hampton Hawes' trio album "Here and Now" (OJC), -- remarkably loose and elliptical. I went on a bit about that one recently but can't recall on what thread.

P.S. It was on "What are You Listening To?" but I don't know how to track it down amid all those posts.

This may be it, Larry: http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...mp;#entry949352